Pet Collie Leading The Way

Had a dog with the breeding your talking about beast it was a big farm collie white faced border collie x lurcher great we ferreting dog to begin with but come night time it was a embarrassment to go out with anyone lamping it would stalk the rabbit if the rabbit ran the dog would about turn and come back to you that's what put me of collie crosses for life at the age of 6 it started to false mark burrows to please me

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Like others have said the collie x is very much like marmite,I like having one around..ugly fecking thing it is but hand on heart it would run through fire to catch,no stalking EVER,ferreting,lamping,

http://youtu.be/2PhUlGilOy4       my old mans pet collie showing my pack how its done  

Bushing rabbits with a bobbery pack is the Sport of Kings,...I fecking love it....   The mouching game, is a stars flight away, from the discipline required on a serious day's ferreting,...   Fac

Love the look of the collie xs and I have never owned one, I can see the benefits of the lurcher x collies but having spent most of my youth on my granddad farm with working collies they are too full on for me. Couple that with my dad having had experience with a few that choose their runs and stalked I doubt I will ever have one. Sad too base your feelings on a x from a few dogs but i seem to suit the terrier x lurcher personality better or straight sighthounds atb

• Like 1

funny old dogs collies. I've been around 'em all my life. But despite having had a few myself, each full collie has driven me potty. yet none of my collie x's or collie curs have been in the same catagory. Yes they can have a few quirks, but a collie put to a good lurcher (with or without collie in its make up) can make a damn fine hunting dog. Not a courser by any stretch of the imagination, but a dog capable of finding, catching and killing on even the roughest of ground. They are not for everybody, but have always kept me fed and happy

• Like 4

Like others have said the collie x is very much like marmite,I like having one around..ugly fecking thing it is but hand on heart it would run through fire to catch,no stalking EVER,ferreting,lamping,mouching,digging to terriers,beating to guns,tracking and hunt cover like a terrier but faster lol,will work all day every day in ANY weather,I've never seen it turn its head from the most ferocious of weather..took the lot in quantity and is still doing so,in fact just this afternoon I had a phone call of a guy telling me how he'd seen the dog on a vermin drive for the 1st time yesterday and saying he had never seen a dog so driven and graft from first light until dusk covering so much land..I ain't blowing smoke up the dogs arse I'm just saying it as it is..there were bull x's,grey x whippets,bitzas all on show but all the talk was of the cur..he will be 6 next week so a few years left in him yet,I will hopefully have a pup out of him pretty soon to bring on as like I said they are pretty versatile,hardy types which I like,if a litter of Collie x Lurchers came up then I'd look at those before breeding off my own in truth...if you ain't into coursing then IMO just about all other bases are covered with a collie x and I'm of the opinion and long have been ..what has a greyhound to offer when breeding over a good hard worked fast lurcher? Collie x lurcher for me,I honestly think if someone had the notion they could make a good few ££££££ by starting breeding them,I'm too old though lol..we've seen topics by the thousand on here over the years and what I like is the same die hards have never meandered away from their collie types,Lloydy,Trench,Neal,Collie John,Borderscot etc ..if your in the cur camp then your in and stay faithful just as your four legged cur is to you..keep on keeping on folks

• Like 10

Had a dog with the breeding your talking about beast it was a big farm collie white faced border collie x lurcher great we ferreting dog to begin with but come night time it was a embarrassment to go out with anyone lamping it would stalk the rabbit if the rabbit ran the dog would about turn and come back to you that's what put me of collie crosses for life at the age of 6 it started to false mark burrows to please me

One of my border collies used to false mark.......and at the time I believed like you said " to please me", but looking back I pretty sure the mistake was probably mine.

Wuyang fair play but I can a sure it wasn't my mistake it was great we dog to start just later in years it false mark it's mark was to lie down on top of the burrow the lamping was embarrassing with her stalking refusing to chase just a out and out fecking skitso lol

Facts are,...with the genuine Collie lurcher,...(and by saying that, I do mean a hybrid that visibly exhibits the attributes of the pastoral cur,.both physically and mentally),.... they are either very good,...or very fecking bad.... :whistling: .

Ya gotta breed from the types that suit your requirements,...random crossings with any old collie can sometimes work out, but I would always play safe where the herding breeds are concerned and look carefully, into the heart and soul of any example,.before wasting valuable time.. :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 4

I never be without a Collie x. The truth is I can't gel with any other type. My second x Collie/Whippet has done me proud taking rabbits both day & night. Sometime next year or the year after, I would like a litter from her if I can find a first x Collie/Whippet or a none Hancock First x Collie/Greyhound.

Got a pure collie bitch here. She is well bred, and here for the sheep work. I've done everything I can to keep her away from hunting, but she still does if there are no sheep around. . . . and is quite proficient. I'm very tempted in a few years to put my whippet over her, or possibly a larger grew.

• Like 1

Got a pure collie bitch here. She is well bred, and here for the sheep work. I've done everything I can to keep her away from hunting, but she still does if there are no sheep around. . . . and is quite proficient. I'm very tempted in a few years to put my whippet over her, or possibly a larger grew.

I put your Whippet over her. I have a dog then lol

what I like is the same die hards have never meandered away from their collie types,Lloydy,Trench,Neal,Collie John,Borderscot etc ..if your in the cur camp then your in and stay faithful just as your four legged cur is to you..keep on keeping on folks

I have tried to move on from them collie x's before Andy, but I have never been able to turn my back on them.

• Like 1

Not the greatest pictures, but here's my collie, and the whip I might line her with one day. Both around 22" tts.

IMG_2678_zpsxouyvr3r.jpg

IMG_1138_zps1f0baded.jpg

Sorry for hijacking the thread. It was a good video, and just got me thinking!

• Like 5

Completely agree with Phil's comments. For what I want I definitely need a dog which thinks and works the way I want as opposed to looks the way I want (sorry for the poor grammar: too many wants).

With Noggin I did a lot of research into the pedigrees of my other three kelpies; thought about what I liked and disliked about each one and where these attributes came from i.e. breeding or from me and then found a breeder who was producing the kind of dog I wanted. Actually, when I approached her about a particular litter she pointed me towards another litter she was intending to breed which was even closer to Rusty but still with the benefits of line-breeding to his grandsire that I was aiming for with the earlier litter.

Edited to add re false marking: there have been several times I've berated Scout for false marking, particularly squirrels and rats. I've walked all the way around bare trees with few branches and seen nothing and eventually cajoled her into leaving her mark only for a bloody squirrel to magically appear from nowhere as we walk away. And I think I've previously written about the time when she marked a roe kid in a bramble patch which I couldn't see. I had to put her on the lead to remove her but she went back to it until I eventually saw it too...it was like one of those magic-eye pictures: once I'd spotted it I couldn't believe I'd missed it before.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 4