Chocolate Tea Pot

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I would put money on mine, and I would not worry how big the place was or how little scent it had

how can you make a terrier run a place when it says no ? ,,,,, egging a terrier on to check earths your un certian are holding,,, that will confuse it and you end up with a terrier what messes aroun

Havnt read whole thread but has the dog been worked off a quad box .Out the box in a hole back in box ,kennel, like many hunt terriers .known a lot of false marking from these box bound dogs ,a huge f

Posted Images

so your saying a dog has to run an earth to know there's somethinv home, mine won't go under no matter how much scent my pup different though he would go in anywhere a month or so ago but he getting the just of things now

Aimed at dyktos

Edited by leo1

lol... well if there was a fox in there minding its own business the terrier would find it also....cos the terriers business is to find foxes UNDERGROUND..... give your head a shake man.....

You said the terrier would know the fox had gone away and wouldn't enter, now your saying it would enter and find a different fox?

Make your feckin mind up and give your head a shake eh?

BTW Leethedog, sorry for hijacking your thread :icon_redface:

Cheers, D

• Like 1

all this has come from you saying

Can a dog tell if an earth is occupied from smelling at a hole? Can it feck

witch is not true it obviously can because thats its job..all these diffrent scenarios your now offering still dont change that fact a terrier dose not need to travle a earth to tell if its ocupied no matter how big or how small they just no and if any one has one what needs to travle evry earth to tell if its occupied its not worth a wank

• Like 5

all this has come from you saying

Can a dog tell if an earth is occupied from smelling at a hole? Can it feck

witch is not true it obviously can because thats its job..all these diffrent scenarios your now offering still dont change that fact a terrier dose not need to travle a earth to tell if its ocupied no matter how big or how small they just no and if any one has one what needs to travle evry earth to tell if its occupied its not worth a wank

Spot on ?

My point was that you can never say there is nothing at home without giving the dog a chance to enter.

The dog may be right but conversely, it may not. 3 or 4 holers or so yes, but a fox might be a long way from any hole and as I said earlier a vixen at this time of year can give of little or no scent for any dog to detect. Go Figure.

Cheers, D.

what are you doing at the hole if your not giving the dog chance to enter? guessing if thers one at home? inspecting kick out under a magnifying glass? if thers one in the dog will enter if the dogs been brought on correct and nows its job it wont enter if thers not one home regardles of the size of the earth

was you the lad who was out with the op and run a trusted dog threw after the dog on trial ???

what are you doing at the hole if your not giving the dog chance to enter? guessing if thers one at home? inspecting kick out under a magnifying glass? if thers one in the dog will enter if the dogs been brought on correct and nows its job it wont enter if thers not one home regardles of the size of the earth

was you the lad who was out with the op and run a trusted dog threw after the dog on trial ???

no he was not mate it was me the trusted dog definitely knows it's job the shite red one who looked the part who some charlatan tried to sell me wanted to drop in any hole he saw including a post hole ho hum he ain't my problem no more I WILL get a pup from good stock and do my best with what I have till then
  • Like 4

I don't know about earth work as I don't do any, but if a fox has been about near any of my dogs on walks and when out bushing etc it is blatantly obvious, so I would have thought a dog breed for the job can be trusted. When you say a vixen gives off very little or no scent this time or year, I am can honestly say they give off plenty enough to follow a line any time of year in my experience atb

• Like 1

A call out i had the other weekend,first place a bout 8-10 holes spread out over 30 yrds or so,dog showed no interest what so ever in any but two of the holes at one end and entered in one showed at the other rentered and bolted a vixen which was shot,next place small little 4 holer 75 yrds from the big place,dog didn't want to know at the first 3 holes then i felt the wind on my face and i thought about the natural ventalation of a earth ;) so i tried him at the last hole down wind and he flew in faster than he ever has and the dog fox was soon delt with :D .Some holes hold scent some don't and you just got to learn to trust the dog in saying yes or no and that takes time in team work but i have known some terriers that did cartwheels on the lead when getting close to an occupied earth and they never lied when doing so and we often wondered how the hell they knew when still 20 yrds away from it??? :hmm: ..

• Like 2

Well went out this morning with a man who has a dog that can be trusted took along the red dog I had on trial the dog lied on mark laid in a earth barking at nothing run the trusted dog through just to check so the one I had with the red dog last week must of been beginners luck owell no money had changed hands yet so back it goes edited to add we checked probably 15 earths so not all this in one place no one home any where but it was a nice warm day out

Did you just try the dog the once in empty earth, I bought a black dog years ago that false marked the first earth I tried him in, I then dug him in the next earth that was holding, this went on for a few more times he'd false mark but if there was 1 in we would get a dig, ths went on for a few weeks then he stopped false marking