Waterloo Cup Memories

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Miss it terribly. Like maxhardcore says, too many memories to list. But here's a few -   Clarissa D-W stomping round in her plus twos with a big smile on her face and happy to chat with anyone   O

Well chaps, I thought I'd put a few old cards I come across in the shed and an original poster I had framed with the card inserted in the back, just wondered what memories you lads have, I went from

few pictures of mine from the field and the pub

Posted Images

Thought so. Have you any more details Pollyana. I cant remember where I heard the tale but can mind his wife breaking antis arm! Good for her. Don't think cup went down to him though. Their weren"t many travellers with his kind of cash in them days. It was 10 year before I ever went and again my details may be wrong. Again I will be happy to be put right.

William Lee bought the dog as a pup beaten in the previous years Waterloo Cup and placed it with Mary Birkbeck to train. the dog won the next Waterloo Cup and your right he did nt get to keep the cup as the committee had concerns of it being returned.

His wife well she sparked the anti out with her shooting stick

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 3

Eye Henrietta took over 700 quid out of Seamus and His son Raymond me and my mate did .

Them were the days

Must of been someone else's mud bomb you lit

It wasn't mine your honour.

Henrietta was sold after 2 rounds on the Withens on condition when retired she went back to the seller as a brood bitch.

for the sum of £1,000 she coursed the following season for her new owner(trained by Liz Hall) and failed to raise a flag

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 1

Trying to think of one of Liz's dogs that IMO was blatantly robbed or a semi or maybe Final place ?

Big predominantly white dog

And I loved the Bamburgh Bridge bitch

Son of Gus

Hoo Doo

Helped with and Handled these on occasion

Great Days

That would of been HES WELL kennel name Johnny an all white dog totally deaf and only kept to run up the gallops with their other dogs, they took him coursing as a bye dog and he excelled, so was entered in a stake won it and went to the Waterloo Cup as you say.

Son of Gus what a dog he was, only dog to beat Sam the Man on a coursing field,although never entered in the Waterloo his credentials were winning the Ladies Invitation at Clonmel on the Sunday as the Derby+Oaks started on Monday, this consisted of a 16dog stake 2 of which were invited from England the rest Irish, from this win he was invited to the Champion Stakes at Newmarket which he won, he either broke his hock in the final or very soon after,the next season he came back and defended his title in the Champion Stakes and was beat in the final

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 1

few pictures of mine from the field and the pub

5th picture up from the bottom, the guy in the shades, he had a good dog ran at St Helens and in the Waterloo his name Ray? the dog was Shuttle Hill

Y.I.S Leeview

• 8 months later...

I was talking to a well known coursing greyhound man this morning and he tell's me the sad news that they're now going to muzzle greyhounds in open coursing here in Eire.

Well that's it now for me. I might never attend another coursing meeting.

They've given in to pressure and when greyhounds are breaking their necks because of the muzzle and hares are being ran to a standstill because the dogs can't kill them the anti's will be there with their cameras getting more ammunition for their cause, when in reality it's the stupid muzzles that will be causing the harm.

He told me that some of the big clubs will or already have pulled the plug.

IMO it's the start of the end for open coursing, the true coursing to a die hard fan.

Sad news.

• Like 1

I was talking to a well known coursing greyhound man this morning and he tell's me the sad news that they're now going to muzzle greyhounds in open coursing here in Eire.

They've given in to pressure and when greyhounds are breaking their necks because of the muzzle and hares are being ran to a standstill because the dogs can't kill them the anti's will be there with their cameras getting more ammunition for their cause, when in reality it's the stupid muzzles that will be causing the harm.

IMO it's the start of the end for open coursing, the true coursing to a die hard fan.

Sad news.

a greyhound is not going to run a hare to a standstill, more like the hare will run a greyhound to a standstill with a muzzle on so it being cruel on the dogs
  • Like 1

Sad news.

anything goes agin coursing clubs surely is a good news story for us lurchermen here in ireland,