Digging Dogs V Bolting Dogs

Truth is, you never know what's happening underground same as there could be many reasons for a dogs performance or lack there of on any given day.

But a dog that keeps coming in and out of its own accord, runs earths but won't find or does find buts comes away without a hair out of place is a wanker not a bolting dog........just plain and simple a wanker.

pretty much exactly what i said a couple of posts back...... so do you think different performances or working styles underground have a bearing on weather a bolt is more likely than a dig?

I don't have enough experience to comment mate, foxes want away in my limited experience unless they have nowhere to go.

I find it hard however to get my head round that a terrier worthy of the name has made a concious decision to "let" a fox bolt.......that just sounds like it lacks courage to me.

But as the post above shows, it's hard to make generalisations.

Edited by WILF
  • Like 2

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recon most of the time it's up to the fox what happens.....

I think a bolting terrier is a failed digging terrier. A bolting terrier will give up after so long which is what most men would class as a cull. I agree they have their uses and get the numbers up in

When a dog of any sort goes to a fox in a stop end ,the metal of the dog is measured whether you like it or not .If that fox then bolts the dog has been found wanting ,no ifs or buts,the fox has got o

Truth is, you never know what's happening underground same as there could be many reasons for a dogs performance or lack there of on any given day.

But a dog that keeps coming in and out of its own accord, runs earths but won't find or does find buts comes away without a hair out of place is a wanker not a bolting dog........just plain and simple a wanker.

pretty much exactly what i said a couple of posts back...... so do you think different performances or working styles underground have a bearing on weather a bolt is more likely than a dig?

I don't have enough experience to comment mate, foxes want away in my limited experience unless they have nowhere to go.

I find it hard however to get my head round that a terrier worthy of the name has made a concious decision to "let" a fox bolt.......that just sounds like it lacks courage to me.

But as the post above shows, it's hard to make generalisations.

thats fair enough, im far from an expert either. in the two terrier sisters that i mentioned earlier i said those exact words aswell, the one that bolts the vast majority of foxes she goes to is a windy little bitch but none the less dedicated enough to not leave when in the ground on game, lacking bottle. her sister that i have is the other extreme and is hammer and thongs from the get go and bolted alot less foxes from the same holes we check regular with both bitches at different times.

so is it fair to generalise and say that the vast majority of bolting terriers are ones that will stay untill dug to (as majority agree in and out dogs are failures and not bolting terriers) but they are lacking courage......

its an interesting one this as i often wonder what a lad means when he says a great bolting terrier.... i think the term "bolting terrier" is used to broadly, and alot wrongly use it to describe useless dogs!! "bolting terrier" covers terriers that lack that little bit of extra grit when the going gets tough and gives a fox a bit too much freedom imho.

definatly there will be odd cases of different outcomes like taking hold the odd time if the circumstances suit the dog,or a no bolt, and some holes will have similar results no matter what dog is entered. But over a couple of seasons and averaged out over digs compaired to bolts over a given dog and a type is concluded. in my opinion the bolter will be not as full on as the dog that has the higher average of digs.

just my opinion and all could be totally wrong!!! lol

edited to say that both types are very handy and im not trying to insult anyones bolting terrier, the one we use wouldn't be got for all the tea in china!

• Like 1

It's a good way to explain things fox digger, I used to think lots of things were set in stone but I have come to realise that the certain thing about dogs is that nothing is set in stone.

Just when you think you know something you will see the complete opposite happen.

A friend said a very sensible thing to me, he said "there's digging dogs and there's dogs you can have a dig with"

I have only ever owned the latter.

For the full time terrier man, he will have a few things in his kennel each with their own traits which he will use for a given situation......it won't be the dog that decides that situation but the situation that decides the dog IMHO

At the end of the day, it's much the same for the one dog man......he will keep a dog that suits his expectations and needs.

Topics like this are much to hard to answer as there is no right or wrong.

• Like 3

It's a good way to explain things fox digger, I used to think lots of things were set in stone but I have come to realise that the certain thing about dogs is that nothing is set in stone.

Just when you think you know something you will see the complete opposite happen.

A friend said a very sensible thing to me, he said "there's digging dogs and there's dogs you can have a dig with"

I have only ever owned the latter.

For the full time terrier man, he will have a few things in his kennel each with their own traits which he will use for a given situation......it won't be the dog that decides that situation but the situation that decides the dog IMHO

At the end of the day, it's much the same for the one dog man......he will keep a dog that suits his expectations and needs.

Topics like this are much to hard to answer as there is no right or wrong.

spot on :thumbs: the only thing i wanted to gain by posting in this topic was what was the general perseption of a bolting terrier ;) atb mate.

• Like 1