Walking Dog On Lead

My pup is comming up to 6 months and hasn't even seen a coller yet let alone a lead lol .......

I wouldn't even bother with a lead at that age running free in a field that's the key to a dog later on in life coming when u call its name i don't bother with a lead or collar until 7 or 8 mints old

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fool.   A pup of that age is going to be scared of new things if they are not instantly pleasurable. Many pups of that age are still with their dams and littermates. Personally I wouldn't be attempt

Leads a must for me from a very early age. Due to roads and what not..

At 7 weeks I wouldn't be worried about it. Let him settle in etc and then worry about the lead after he's jabbed and can go out.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd rather drag won't get to far before shell walk . Would you lift your dog over a fence gate etc . But as above out with another dog

Fool.

fool . Abusive behavior where does he mention the age of the pup fool . Dog should brought out with no lead in safe area ie field, cul de sac etc and if he is as young as you SKYCAT think the pup should stick to you . You being only thing it knows and you being security just walk he'll/she'll follow then the lead works for me. Any dog from 10 weeks to 12 weeks should be well used to lead if not in my eye's you'd all ready be behind . Each to their own keep your smart remarks to yourself

A pup of that age is going to be scared of new things if they are not instantly pleasurable. Many pups of that age are still with their dams and littermates. Personally I wouldn't be attempting to lead train it just yet. Get a really good bond with the pup. Play with it at home, in your yard or garden.

Give it a couple of weeks, then take it outside of your home. Just hold it in your arms, let it see, hear and smell all the strange sights and sounds for a bit. Then take it back in. This is if you live in a street/town.

Pups learn by exploring, going a little further from the 'nest' each day, but always rushing back to safety every few minutes so they fix the road home in their brain map. You should do the same for the pup. First day, just sit outside your house and let the pup watch stuff go by. Second day, put the pup on a lead and take a couple of steps. Let the pup sit still if it wants to. Sooner or later it will start sniffing about and get up. Don't pull it on the lead. Let the pup make the first move. When it does, praise it a lot. Let the pup dictate where it goes, you follow, within reason: obviously not out into the road!

Once the pup is familiar with its surroundings, and feels that it is in control of where it goes, and no longer frightened of the huge unknown world around it, you will find it much easier to encourage it to follow you.

Don't forget: a tiny pup in a world where everything towers above it, sounds from things unseen, smells that assault its senses: like being an ant in a world of giants. Give it time.

At 7 weeks I wouldn't be worried about it. Let him settle in etc and then worry about the lead after he's jabbed and can go out.

I'd agree, but I find putting a collar on a pup at this age & let it get used to it, helps no end in preventing a dog being a arse when it encounters a lead for the first time..

I'd agree, but I find putting a collar on a pup at this age & let it get used to it, helps no end in preventing a dog being a arse when it encounters a lead for the first time..

I always put a collar on a pup when I get one, a nice light puppy collar.

• Like 1