Plummer Terrier

Plummers are a relatively new breed compared with the patts , jrt as far as earthwork is concerned maybe if the patt / jrt bragade were to give these plummers ago , I have no doubt at all they would have a completely different view on plummers , but if your preference Is a patt, jrt or what ever, then fair do's we can't all have the same likes in life so ATB what ever you choose

• Like 1

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

to the guys that get fed up with the plummer threads. fair comment. i get fed up with the same old. old nuttal new nuttal . and the ken gould threads and the middleton pish that has been done to dea

i remember the first time plumber showed up to us , myself ,dave roberts gary middleton & all the usual suspects was at edgeworth terrier show , we was all haveing a drink & a yarn when this g

You don't train a dog for earthwork you breed for it.

Posted Images

"Ive yet to see a better SPORTING terrier than a plummer".

This is dead right and i could not agree more you hit the nail on the head perfectly.

plummers are sporting, at least mine where sporting enough to leave game in cover for another day and this is why I fell out with them.

I did not want sporting I needed working.

the big hauls of rats above are most impressive and well done lads.

in my opinion ratting is no test to a dogs working ability apart from stamina all though it is defiantly some of the best "sporting" fun, let face it the rats bolt yards from the terriers in most cases and its a bad job if they don't catch them.

To me a good terrier has the ability to find game where it is not abundant on a regular basis.

I'd rather see my terrier work like hell and find one rabbit In an area where maybe there's only a hand full than kill 50 rats bolted in front of its nose.

Edited by Fieldsporthunter

We all defend the doge we work / breed it's natural , but I really think us plmummer lads get more stick than most ! and I agree it is done to death . We alll enjoy working are dogs does it really matter what quarry we choose ? It's all about opinions and preferences at the end of the day

• Like 2

This is dead right and i could not agree more you hit the nail on the head perfectly.

plummers are sporting, at least mine where sporting enough to leave game in cover for another day and this is why I fell out with them.

the big hauls of rats above are most impressive and well done lads. in my opinion ratting is no test to a dogs working ability apart from stamina all though it is defiantly some of the best "sporting" fun, let face it the rats bolt yards from the terriers in most cases and its a bad job if they don't catch them.

To me a good terrier has the ability to find game where it is not abundant on a regular basis.

I'd rather see my terrier work like hell and find one rabbit In an area where maybe there's only a hand full than kill 50 rats bolted in front of its nose.

Am no big terrier man but heres a few things that you are told, when your young or just starting out in the game.

Borders are slow starters, well could be true but my nephew got one now that I got of a friend of mine at seven/eight months nailed rats first day out never been out before.

Lakelands/Fell Pats are all hard and can be only took to hole let off and dug to, I have seen them work cover bush rabbits, rat and taken beating.

JRT have got no working instinct left in them, I started off with little what we called, Queen Ann JRT you know ones that are from no working lines just little short legged ones that uesd to run around the streets in any part of the UK and they work the full scale of things from mice voles in the corn fields to fox.

All Plummers are shite and that seems a broad statment, as all Plummers are not shite.

Diffrent Breeds and Breeding is important good lines should be kept and preserved (and worked), in all the above breeds. But If I see a good dog work be it a Running dog, terrier any breed size colour, Gundog or a sheepdog for that matter. Then I would say that Lakeland, Saluki x or lab worked well why not?

Long post but am trying to say in laymans word is could thier not be good bad and indiffrent in most if not all breeds.?

All best in what you choose to work

PUD

• Like 4

in my opinion ratting is no test to a dogs working ability apart from stamina all though it is defiantly some of the best "sporting" fun, let face it the rats bolt yards from the terriers in most cases and its a bad job if they don't catch them.

I agree with some you say above,but not all.It is great to kill rats in number and it is a test of stamina,it is also a test of toughness to a degree ,as ive seen a few dogs jib when killing in number,.but most times when i hunt with my dogs they have to graft for there quarry ,marking finding rats in some of the filthyest shit holes known to man as that;s were we find most of our rats burrowed in piles of shite in old tractor engine's ect.i also like my dogs to dig on and work for there rats ,keeps them sharp.and i agree there's nothing better than watching your terrier grafting in cover,i do this at least four times a week ,don't catch many but myself and the dogs love it.granted my dogs have taken rat in big numbers but they also graft there arse's of for ten or twenty.but all the same we all have our opinions atb ,keith,j.

• Like 3

One of my earth working russell's picks his strike rats and i don't take him lamping them any more as he let to many get away :icon_redface: ,give him a dig and he'll stay till dug but he don't like rat bites :laugh::laugh: ,

See Fuji's "flawless" post before replying eh :tongue2:

if obvisiously you have never seen rats being killed in big numbers by terriers , the dogs take a lot of stick av seen a lot of terriers give up ( don't want to know ) because of the amount of rat bites but theses plummers give no signs of giving up they just keep going even when the hunt is over the plummers don't want to leave . This Is what am trying to say about the plummer terrier they have so much prey drive and determination it's unbelievable and don't think are it's just rat bites, these dogs take a lot of punishment when ratting but like I said you've have never seen rats in big numbers if any at all . I have no douts that plummer terrier are the future and will be used for every quarry out there that I guaranteed . you's are al living in the passed it's time to move on but good luck what ever dog you choose . Am seeing more and more plummer it's just a matter of time before the plummers take over mark these words !
  • Like 1

I gave up one of my plummers to a pet home due to lack of prey drive,he had a good old nose on him and although he picked his strike he wouldn't let one escape but he just didn't have it in him type thing and he wouldn't explore an earth either,he never jibbed at ratting and he was involved in some good number days but he just didn't cut it..Like all dogs some have faults we can live with and work round but some just don't cut it and plummers sure ain't no different from the rest of them.. :victory:

Just a few pics of two plummers marking some rats under a concrete block,the other terriers,,,,,,,,,,,,, well they don't...but just to show the nose on these ones i have had.. :thumbs:

The terriers.

Picture744.jpg

The mark

Picture745.jpg

still at it

Picture746.jpg

Picture747.jpg

150+ rats so they weren't all slouches :thumbs:

Picture750.jpg

Edited by fireman
  • Like 6

if obvisiously you have never seen rats being killed in big numbers by terriers , the dogs take a lot of stick av seen a lot of terriers give up ( don't want to know ) because of the amount of rat bites but theses plummers give no signs of giving up they just keep going even when the hunt is over the plummers don't want to leave . This Is what am trying to say about the plummer terrier they have so much prey drive and determination it's unbelievable and don't think are it's just rat bites, these dogs take a lot of punishment when ratting but like I said you've have never seen rats in big numbers if any at all . I have no douts that plummer terrier are the future and will be used for every quarry out there that I guaranteed . you's are al living in the passed it's time to move on but good luck what ever dog you choose . Am seeing more and more plummer it's just a matter of time before the plummers take over mark these words !
Rats killed in numbers I have a free range chicken unit and a endless supply of rats. Its the one thing I can't take away from plummers I had but still they weren't any better than any other type of terrier at it. I can only speak for plummmers I had and the few I've seen and they did not impress me work wise although I do like there type. I'm not putting them down, I'm just saying they where not for me. However If your right about the Plummer take over because of there work ability and the day comes I feel they will do the job for me I would not think twice about having them again as I don't care for a terriers name just its working ability but for now at least I think my working borders and my worker to worker types are quite safe. Edited by Fieldsporthunter
  • Like 3

I have a border bitch probably the best bushing dog I own and the most intelligent but as far as rats are concerned my plummer dog is dominate by far firery as anything I have owned the border bitch has give up when large amount of rats are available