How Many Traps Per Hour?

I reckon that I average around 10 to 12 traps an hour in larger gardens or paddocks using a combination of Duffus, Talpex and Putanges. Over 90% of my traps are set in grass. What is your rate of setting traps?

I tend to put enough down to cover what I think is necessary or how many I can actually get in the ground! I don't count them so don't have a clue how many I set per hour.

Probably way less than 10 an hour on really bad ground, maybe more on fair soil. I don't notice much change in earnings though - you would have thought more traps = more moles, but not usually the case for me. I mainly work gardens & smallholdings.

Worst job I attended was a small garden, broken glass on every inch of the lawn and in the soil underneath. That slowed me down a bit :icon_eek:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ha ha ....I never flick 'em....   They all go onto a couple of fields that owe me money,,,, I'm having fun repopulating land of a debtor.... There's more molehills than grass now! ha ha

Not sure if this link will work. but it's to a video of a secret visit paid to a client who thought they were to important to bother paying the molecatcher.   http://vid971.photobucket.com/albums/ae

Can ya catch them alive Matt??? I might put a film up of me doing that soon..... Get some footage posted mate....

I use a quad to get from A to B.

When I'm setting on soft ground I rarely use the spade. I'm more likely to probe and then use my hands to open up.

I'll put a film up before too long :thumbs: I'm just about to get very busy... :yes:

Can ya catch them alive Matt??? I might put a film up of me doing that soon..... :thumbs:

Get some footage posted mate.... :tongue2:

I have done...... the trouble is that likkle Florence loves to munch them, so whenever I flick one out she's straight on it :yes:

Not that I'd deliberately set the dog on a mole you understand :no: that would be against the Hunting Act :yes:

Ha ha ....I never flick 'em.... ;)

They all go onto a couple of fields that owe me money,,,, I'm having fun repopulating land of a debtor.... :D There's more molehills than grass now! ha ha

Not sure if this link will work. but it's to a video of a secret visit paid to a client who thought they were to important to bother paying the molecatcher.

http://vid971.photobucket.com/albums/ae191/adrianashleyA3/Mole_zpsylg6da2b.mp4

• Like 6

It depends on how much activity it is, but generally, 15 - 25 on the farms.

Garden jobs tend to be about half an hour, depending on how much yakking the client wants to do.

My garden jobs out here average between an acre and over three acres - 15 to 40 traps. If you can do them in half an hour I'll set you on.

Sorry, I was forgetting that French gardens are the same size as some of our smallholdings!

Most of my 'garden jobs' are postage stamp sized :yes: and I expect I average three traps on each of those jobs.

Happily, most of my work is agricultural these days; I've gone from doing six or so garden jobs a week, to about one or two... it suits me nicely to be honest :yes: I'd rather be left to my own devices on the bigger farm jobs than have someone constantly breathing down my neck and pulling traps up :yes:

My agricultural work has grown through word of mouth mainly :yes: if you do a good job, and get on with the farmers, the word soon spreads :thumbs:

It depends on how much activity it is, but generally, 15 - 25 on the farms.

Garden jobs tend to be about half an hour, depending on how much yakking the client wants to do.

My garden jobs out here average between an acre and over three acres - 15 to 40 traps. If you can do them in half an hour I'll set you on.

Sorry, I was forgetting that French gardens are the same size as some of our smallholdings!

Most of my 'garden jobs' are postage stamp sized :yes: and I expect I average three traps on each of those jobs.

Happily, most of my work is agricultural these days; I've gone from doing six or so garden jobs a week, to about one or two... it suits me nicely to be honest :yes: I'd rather be left to my own devices on the bigger farm jobs than have someone constantly breathing down my neck and pulling traps up :yes:

My agricultural work has grown through word of mouth mainly :yes: if you do a good job, and get on with the farmers, the word soon spreads :thumbs:

Im the same, Matt, i get fed up with gardens.Although i dont mind talking about moles,with householders,it cant half 'stall' you sometimes ?

When I'm setting on soft ground I rarely use the spade. I'm more likely to probe and then use my hands to open up.

I'll put a film up before too long :thumbs: I'm just about to get very busy... :yes:

Can ya catch them alive Matt??? I might put a film up of me doing that soon..... :thumbs:

I have done...... the trouble is that likkle Florence loves to munch them, so whenever I flick one out she's straight on it :yes:

Not that I'd deliberately set the dog on a mole you understand :no: that would be against the Hunting Act :yes:

They all go onto a couple of fields that owe me money,,,, I'm having fun repopulating land of a debtor.... :D There's more molehills than grass now! ha ha

Not sure if this link will work. but it's to a video of a secret visit paid to a client who thought they were to important to bother paying the molecatcher.

:laugh: here's some secret pictures. Again a non payer

BE8581E7-A072-4F64-9467-A678BF1ACE7A-111

B3AF8E46-B391-44E2-AFE9-071515918BC6-111

AF85A880-9259-42A6-B180-125375A13E34-111

2FC498CC-56DD-4FEC-B71A-280C89D85505-111

Just where you wouldn't want a mole and strangely where they have never been before!!??

:laugh: here's some secret pictures. Again a non payer

BE8581E7-A072-4F64-9467-A678BF1ACE7A-111

B3AF8E46-B391-44E2-AFE9-071515918BC6-111

AF85A880-9259-42A6-B180-125375A13E34-111

2FC498CC-56DD-4FEC-B71A-280C89D85505-111

Just where you wouldn't want a mole and strangely where they have never been before!!?

Just out of curiosity, Moxy, How successfully do moles 'translocate' ? did you notice if any moles,managed to survive , in the new territory ? (any time you have done this ?)

He seemed to do fine mate. For a good while. Made a mess surface routing until he found a tunnel system and away he went.

Business as usual.

Not for me though. My time there was well and truly done. And looking over the spot the other day the mole may still be thriving. Along with the rest..!!

He seemed to do fine mate. For a good while. Made a mess surface routing until he found a tunnel system and away he went.

Business as usual.

Not for me though. My time there was well and truly done. And looking over the spot the other day the mole may still be thriving. Along with the rest..!!

Ha ha, thanks.

I have done ALOT of that on one place and it's now 'running wick' with moles..i mean its a real bomb site.....so it does work. I have released about 20 there so far, but i've more planned..

Interesting, mate. I take it, there wasnt any moles already resident, there ?

You take that correctly......but there is now. Lots. And lots. I catch many moles alive and they all have a vacation to this land.

I have done ALOT of that on one place and it's now 'running wick' with moles..i mean its a real bomb site.....so it does work. I have released about 20 there so far, but i've more planned..

Interesting, mate. I take it, there wasnt any moles already resident, there ?

You take that correctly......but there is now. Lots. And lots. I catch many moles alive and they all have a vacation to this land.

Cheers, LOL (what you like ?)