Barn Owl Boxes

At first site i know that this may not seem to have anything to do with pest control, but the first one of these i ever made was to stop a problem with Carpet beetles and bird mites,an old farmhouse was having a serious problem with them and i traced them back to jackdaw nests in a small roof space, but in the same space were barn owls so i could not block off the entrance, i put up one of these boxes next to the entrance for a year until the owls started to use it then blocked off the entrance ,following spring they fledged 2 young,obviously then i cleared out old nests and applied insecticide to sort out problem.

these 2 i have made for a large caravan site were there are one or two barn owls and they also want some tawny owl boxes putting uppost-33227-0-76082200-1422135082_thumb.jpgpost-33227-0-47572700-1422135102_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

That's a big box, why did you make it as big as that mate ?

it better simulates a barn. the extra space allows fledglings to stretch their wings etc and develop within the box. Which gives them a greater chance to survive once outside the box. They do seem to stay in the large boxes longer, and as once they are out, they have no cover, I believe that is all for the good