22 Shotshells are 'shotgun' ammunition, so YES shotgun Cert to buy.

There are smoothbore 22 shotguns out there, most common is the bolt action BSA Sportsman, it 'looks' exactly the same as the rifled FAC version

but most I've ever seen are single shot only no magazine.

However as they were fairly popular in the 1960's as a garden gun so enterprising gunshops cashed in on

the tightening up of firearms legislation and began getting 'cheap' trade-in' 22's bored out smooth-bore and re-sold them as shotguns, so there are

a lot of 'mongrel' shotguns out there made from allsorts, many have barrel extensions soldered on, as the original rifle barrel was shorter than the

minimum for a shotgun.

There popularity was due I think to there being no decent airguns available at that time unlike today.

Anyway a final few things, YES you can fire a shotshell out of an FAC .22 rimfire, NO they won't cycle a semi-auto, YES you can fire regular

bullets through a smooth-bore but you wont hit a barn door at 20 feet and shotshells are complete rubbish for anything bigger than a mouse and further

away than 6 feet. (tried and tested by me).

I believe they were originally used in fruit farms for keeping small birds mainly bullfinches off the buds and fruit. You could safely fire at the birds without fear of damaging the fruit. That gives you some idea of the power you are dealing with they are a folly and nothing more than a historic showpiece.

I believe they were originally used in fruit farms for keeping small birds mainly bullfinches off the buds and fruit. You could safely fire at the birds without fear of damaging the fruit. That gives you some idea of the power you are dealing with they are a folly and nothing more than a historic showpiece.

They are without doubt of limited use for many people but they do have their uses, I still have a few but it certainly goes back more than a year or two since I used them.

They can be very useful for smallish close quarter quarry (birds/rodents) or in confined spaces, in the US for snakes as well. Remember you can also get these in WMR. I know of a Gamekeeper who rates them highly for rats in the rearing pens, and another Pest Controller who swears by them for use in roof spaces!

Suggesting they are a folly and nothing more than a historic showpiece is a tad OTT!

:thumbs:

The garden gun , I guess , stiil for sale at £200 - ish , shells are £15 for 50 , both need to be held/bought on a shotgun certificate, but of very little use 10-15 yards at rats that's about the use of it .Buy a pcp instead. ;)

I inherited a 9mm garden gun and it's much the same in terms of extremely limited. It is however ideal for dispatching rats in areas where you cannot risk a lot of collateral damage. Mine only gets used for the odd live rat in a trap / poisoned, not moving but still alive or in and around the pigeon lofts as they won't damage the loft too much when roland shows himself from behind a corn bin!

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't even know you could still get CB caps these days.

Used to be used a lot in target booths at fairgrounds.

I could see a use for them for close range rat control in gardens and farms, although don't know about their efficiency.