Advice On A Ferreting Dog

Beddy whippets make good ferreting dogs too. I have one thats 21 inches, not a first cross more like a whippet with a better coat and skin. perfect for the ground I hunt on. Marks brilliant and not interested in sheep. She saves me getting filthy rugby tackling rabbits.

Sounds ideal any pics of her

Cheers

Gaz

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

always found a lurcher with Beddy in it, usually has a good nose, 3/4 Whippet 1/4 Bedlington, given a positive mark at three Months old. Has turned into a cracking marker, never tells lies.

My Westie like a day ferreting, canny nose on him. Not every choice but get him oot.   PUD

That is the lurcher mix that I breed, and favour...   Nice and nimble, quick and quiet around a warren...and just right for the hedgerow game...

Posted Images

yet to see a dog not mark a hole ,but its how they mark and there manners that make agood rabbiting dog quite like a cat and not being a pain when ferrets down ,

and they have to have pace and good fetching skills and not crocodile jaws , and paitience ,there ferreting dogs rabbiting dogs ,then there dogs you take out and you just bolt a rabbit for them ,

when we had the national rabbiting trails you saw some real good dogs , most collie whith racing greyhound whippet through them , the need to be fast of mark and back for the next one ,all sorts of dogs make good rabbitin ferreting dogs saw my saluki lurchers do well and they hardy see a days rabbiting the main thing there quite and not hyper and doing your head in

My Whippet x beddy, was a cracking marker, she would silent mark, then just tilt her head, then quietly lie behind the bury.

my current dog which is also a good marker, will put his head in the bury, and if occupied, will have a little scart with his front feet, his dam mark exactly the same, the only thing I would not want is a dog that whines down the bury.

most rabbiting dogs love marking.