Size Of A Bushing Dog

matt1979

Always interested to see the size of people's dogs used for bushing. I have grown up with various terriers and they all seemed to be naturals. Some went to ground many didn't. My point being these dogs were all small around 10 tts max, but many of the dogs I see on tho are much bigger even many of today's terriers seem to be being breed larger. Is there not a real benefit to small size. The lucas pup I have at the minute will get in pretty much anyway a rabbit can get and can pressure well as she moves easily through very tight cover. How do these big dogs manage to push through really tight cover, genuine question, as I see many a comment saying this dog well work any cover or get into the tightest spot. I find this hard to see possible as physically I can't see bigger dogs work some of the thick hedgerows the small dogs can. I am not talking about brambles as bigger dogs get with desire get through them (although they may be cut to ribbons) but what about tight hedgerows where you ain't going to push past 3 inch solid roots and branches. We often find rabbits sitting very tight in the hedgerows and the usually creep along them for a distance and will only break for cover/ ground when the small dog is right on them and they only make this possible if right on the scent line and upto the rabbit. Long winded I know but hopefully made my point clearly, should add I haven't worked larger bushing dogs and not having a dig at those that do, just genuinely intrigued if Iam missing something atb

• Like 3

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

f**k'em   He keeps the man, who keeps the dog, happy

Thats why i prefer the Beddy types,up on the leg and endless stamina,back to the original post,one of my biggest gripes is people with big bushing dogs that they believe will get through the tightest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0QR_kX7UEs   nothing leggy gonna be steaming through bramble/thorn cover this tight,plenty busher types that we can all use to get the most out the type land we hunt

Posted Images

There's no two ways about it small bushers are physically the ideal size for bushing....they fit straight through the rabbit runs, no need to crawl or crash their way through.....nothing can touch a small terrier for been suited to working tight cover.

However I also worked a border collie bitch many years ago who took it upon herself to bush rather than work as a lurcher as such. She obviously didn't fit work the tight runs as easily as a small busher, but she did manage to get the rabbits out and looking back was a cracking busher.

There's lots of sizes of bushing dogs that will get the job done through their sheer determination, but in tight runs yes it's easier on a smaller busher.

post-44376-0-97496800-1420894500.jpg

Edited by wuyang
  • Like 2

very interesting subject. my best bushers have been strong built and have a fair leg . but that suits the ground i work. i have smaller terriers but to be honest they cant tie the laces of the stronger terriers. on top. dont get me wrong there are times when they pull it out of the bag but i could count them on one hand over a season. i have very little cover the bigger terriers cant cope with and a fair amount of heather that the short arses cant cope with so a strong terrier suits me better :thumbs:

• Like 2

A mate had a Cairn terrier, hardly any legs on it and a thick bramble proof coat, he could get through a tight bramble like a rabbit, probably better than a rabbit because he caught rabbits in cover all the time, if you're bushing hoping to get runs for the lurchers its not the sort of dog i would want, simply because he caught to many and ruined the proper sport imo. I prefer a bit bigger dog that just pushes most of them out to the lurchers.

• Like 2

Mine's just over 14" and there are a few tight spots she struggles to get into, though having said that if she knows something's in there she'll find a way in somehow. But I like the fact she's got a bit of leg as she can cover the ground faster.

• Like 1

Some good points. I suppose it is about where you work as I said the hedgerows in the fields I work are very thick and tight in parts and a small dog can really move through these where I would have thought a bigger dog would struggle. The rabbits also only leave cover when really pushed hard and I would worry they would give larger dogs the run around I may well be wrong.

Willow when you mentioned you prefer around the 14 tt mark to allow them to work allday, does this mean you have found smaller dogs wanting? Genuine question as work max 4 hours generally and none of the dogs short or longer leg struggle. I have found very few rabbits on the land I hunt are caught in cover, if they are they are maxi, I personally don't think is means the dogs are poor bushers as I have seen quiet a lot work and the measure up well. Do many you other guys catch much in cover which isn't myxi? WhenI say myxi I often find they may not look myxi rabbits but if you investigate further boy condition etc it's clear try aren't a fit and healtt rabbit. Cheers for input

Some good points. I suppose it is about where you work as I said the hedgerows in the fields I work are very thick and tight in parts and a small dog can really move through these where I would have thought a bigger dog would struggle. The rabbits also only leave cover when really pushed hard and I would worry they would give larger dogs the run around I may well be wrong.

Willow when you mentioned you prefer around the 14 tt mark to allow them to work allday, does this mean you have found smaller dogs wanting? Genuine question as work max 4 hours generally and none of the dogs short or longer leg struggle. I have found very few rabbits on the land I hunt are caught in cover, if they are they are maxi, I personally don't think is means the dogs are poor bushers as I have seen quiet a lot work and the measure up well. Do many you other guys catch much in cover which isn't myxi? WhenI say myxi I often find they may not look myxi rabbits but if you investigate further boy condition etc it's clear try aren't a fit and healtt rabbit. Cheers for input

matt i have had a few small ones need help off the land worked there selfs in to exhaustion its only over the years ive seen what i like to last and work everyday :thumbs:

• Like 2

There's no two ways about it small bushers are physically the ideal size for bushing....they fit straight through the rabbit runs, no need to crawl or crash their way through.....nothing can touch a small terrier for been suited to working tight cover.

However I also worked a border collie bitch many years ago who took it upon herself to bush rather than work as a lurcher as such. She obviously didn't fit work the tight runs as easily as a small busher, but she did manage to get the rabbits out and looking back was a cracking busher.

There's lots of sizes of bushing dogs that will get the job done through their sheer determination, but in tight runs yes it's easier on a smaller busher.

I totally agree the smaller the terrier the easier they can move through the cover. My last terrier was about 15tts and she used too struggle with some of the tighter cover but as i have said before she did manage too catch sometime's but the one i have now is a tad under 12tts and too be honest i would not want her to be any bigger. I remember when i first got her i couldn't believe how easy she could move through the brambles and with a lot less noise. atb daywalker.
  • Like 1