Size Of A Bushing Dog

matt1979

Some good points. I suppose it is about where you work as I said the hedgerows in the fields I work are very thick and tight in parts and a small dog can really move through these where I would have thought a bigger dog would struggle. The rabbits also only leave cover when really pushed hard and I would worry they would give larger dogs the run around I may well be wrong.

Willow when you mentioned you prefer around the 14 tt mark to allow them to work allday, does this mean you have found smaller dogs wanting? Genuine question as work max 4 hours generally and none of the dogs short or longer leg struggle. I have found very few rabbits on the land I hunt are caught in cover, if they are they are maxi, I personally don't think is means the dogs are poor bushers as I have seen quiet a lot work and the measure up well. Do many you other guys catch much in cover which isn't myxi? WhenI say myxi I often find they may not look myxi rabbits but if you investigate further boy condition etc it's clear try aren't a fit and healtt rabbit. Cheers for input

Im not knocking small dogs at all mate, if you're doing tight stuff a lot a small dog can be very handy, and that was 30+ years back so we wanted the rabbits in the bag, what i meant was i wouldn't want that type of dog now, im just mooching for the sport and an odd free dinner these days, the quality of the sport is the most important thing to me.

• Like 1

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

f**k'em   He keeps the man, who keeps the dog, happy

Thats why i prefer the Beddy types,up on the leg and endless stamina,back to the original post,one of my biggest gripes is people with big bushing dogs that they believe will get through the tightest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0QR_kX7UEs   nothing leggy gonna be steaming through bramble/thorn cover this tight,plenty busher types that we can all use to get the most out the type land we hunt

Posted Images

Having not owned any other bushing dogs I can only comment on my own, he's strong, determined doesn't catch often, but if he does its usually the runners have cut off an exit and its hesitated and that's all he needs.

If its tight cover he will crawl in and if he see or smells something he crashes through, I mean I can see where he is in blackthorn as its shaking, with him being vocal the runners position themselves accordingly, that's what they wait for his signal.

He's about 16"tts and 13kg in weight, has been in the beating line and will go all day with no drop in enthusiasm.

imagejpg1.jpg

• Like 3

I've got two terriers from the same litter, one is a solid lump and 14.5 tts, the other is 12.5 tts and a lot finer build, both could be called 'leggy' for a terrier.

I wanted a larger terrier, as much to stop them going to ground, the smaller one is epic at the minute, she can get through anywhere. If she was shorter in the leg she would get tired, but the extra bit allows her to cover ground all day long. She never stops hunting. She is fine enough to get under a pallet sideways to kill rats, she's done it already! The pair of them have learnt to jump too, if they can't get through they can get up and over a pig netting/barbed wire fence with ease, it does make me wince though.

• Like 3

Horses for corses hounds for grounds isn't it

I have found good bushing dogs are never phased by wat ground or cover their worked on tbh.
they may not be phased but I've seen larger dogs go through thick low slung bramble and dogrose and come out a bleeding mess I personally use a dog that suits the land or cover I want to flush

Horses for corses hounds for grounds isn't it

I have found good bushing dogs are never phased by wat ground or cover their worked on tbh.
they may not be phased but I've seen larger dogs go through thick low slung bramble and dogrose and come out a bleeding mess I personally use a dog that suits the land or cover I want to flush

Sounds like a small springer would be your ideal dog then.

Try getting one 12 ttw for thick hedge bottoms and layed hedges there is no ideal bushing dog coz every place is different that's what I'm getting at some suit one thing some another doesn't mean one is shite and the other not its all just personal preference

Edited by leethedog
  • Like 1

i am of the opinion that if you hunt on foot and have big area's of cover to work like moorland forestry and bog you really need to use dogs with a bit of leg. little short arse terriers just dont cope well with this sort of ground. and most times end up under someones arm. so we can get on. :D

• Like 2

Clean spade in what way do they struggle genuine question, as most Of the older dogs working terriers and other types I have seen of the 60s 70s (I wasn't around) were a lot shorter in leg than today's dogs from the pics I have seen and the dogs that have been in my family. Is it simply they struggle with the heavy going ground or are you saying they lack stamina cheers

Clean spade in what way do they struggle genuine question, as most Of the older dogs working terriers and other types I have seen of the 60s 70s (I wasn't around) were a lot shorter in leg than today's dogs from the pics I have seen and the dogs that have been in my family. Is it simply they struggle with the heavy going ground or are you saying they lack stamina cheers

what i am saying is with all the will in the world they are physically stuggle. with the low cover. the bigger dogs move easily over the top where the little chaps try to move through or kangaroo about. either way soon burns em out and they start lagging behind. i am a big fan of the smaller terriers but not in a lot of the top work we do.

what i am saying is with all the will in the world they are physically stuggle. with the low cover. the bigger dogs move easily over the top where the little chaps try to move through or kangaroo about. either way soon burns em out and they start lagging behind. i am a big fan of the smaller terriers but not in a lot of the top work we do.

Just on what your saying there. Over the years Ive been guilty of getting dogs I want instead of dogs I need. Its all ferreting and bushing for me this season. To cover the different types of land and cover around me.I got a cocker cross and 2 little russels to team up with my lurcher and ferrets. This little team will suit the land and cover I hunt and hopefully put less nets down and plenty of digging.

• Like 1

Clean spade I see you point I don't really work that type of land in all honesty so get your point. No doubt on some land the exta leg could be useful to see over stuff as well I guess. Although most of the terriers I have worked of any size seem to have their nose glued to the ground when there is anything about atb. Out for 3 hrs this morning early doors not much about to be honest, out again now for evening walk. My old mans lurcher had a couple of good runs but he is started to creek. Sure some people could ware this SLT pup out but i sure can't, wouldn't want it any other way though to be fair atb.

• Like 1

I respect your opinion, but Jesus, that little dog of mine just walks through the lowest of cover and exerts VERY little energy in doing so....no matter how dense or tight it is......bit like the tortoise n hare story....she really does go steady and get the rabbits out.......she's 11 now and travels at the same speed.....its me that's slowed down.

If you've had little bushing dogs that have had to kangaroo over the cover and run low on juice I can understand you totally.

I've always fancied a change but God knows what I'll get next.

Edited by wuyang
  • Like 1