Greyhound Ferrets

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good advice there Vin..   I first saw tiny,.weasle sized ferrets 50 years ago... They were generaly runts of the litter that had survived the cut..   Ocassionaly you would get an individual t

A tiny normal ferret that gets it`s head kicked in from any decent sized rabbit.

you are totally right what you say bunny tickler,i well remember the greyhound ferrets you mention being long,lean and keen,why they fell out of favour idont know,i think you would be hard pressed to

a good greyhound bitch feret will work as good as adog ferret ,there rare now saw three or four in last twenty years there size of a dog ferret ,hardly get fat and are abit hyper and will bite the eyes out of rabbits for fun , as i says got a half gryhound she is alump of abitch and can work well, even on bucks that are ready for the fight attitude ,

small ferrets are no good for pushing rabits that basicaly not afraid of the ferret the majority come off if there getting hammerd about a hole

You`ve got fuckall of the kind. It`s just a ferret like all the others.

Greyhound, micro, Eupoley crap.

A ferret is a ferret is a ferret. There is nothing different about what you call a half greyhound ffs. :laugh::laugh: :laugh:

• Like 1

a good greyhound bitch feret will work as good as adog ferret ,there rare now saw three or four in last twenty years there size of a dog ferret ,hardly get fat and are abit hyper and will bite the eyes out of rabbits for fun , as i says got a half gryhound she is alump of abitch and can work well, even on bucks that are ready for the fight attitude ,

small ferrets are no good for pushing rabits that basicaly not afraid of the ferret the majority come off if there getting hammerd about a hole

You`ve got fuckall of the kind. It`s just a ferret like all the others.

Greyhound, micro, Eupoley crap. (hows that pain in the arse working out for you ! haha)

A ferret is a ferret is a ferret. There is nothing different about what you call a half greyhound ffs. :laugh::laugh: :laugh:

There's ferrets and there's ferrets. .. . I like Ferrets. ;)

A good Jill that can hold or kill a big buck hill rabbit all day everyday is a rare specimen these days. . Come lunchtime they just want to stay in the box and curl up for a kip. . .they start off good but end up for want of a better word spewing.

Ive had a few that I would call good and lots I would not give away. . . for fear of putting more shite into the gene pool.

The true working stock bloodline of generations is being lost and diluted with all these Micro,Angora,Pit Bull X Ferts.

Worker to Worker is the only way.

If you have a line thats been kept tight for 20-30 years and the offspring are damn good workers..... Please dont dilute it with any of this modern shite. . . well not before giving me a Jill kit 1st...lol.

put them small jills on a day in the dales they will get a good kicking when your bolting 60/70 rabbits a day its hard graft for them , i had some superb jills ,but in the dales in my opinion rabbits are bigger, we take anything upwards of 6 ferrets there , im all for jills but a few good hobs wont go amiss

• Like 1

horses for courses as they say chaps.

Its good to have a few ferrets in the team with different types of working ability ... Sometimes you just cannot or do not want to be digging in any way shape or form.. On these occasions what i would call a shite useless fekker of a ferret can be usefull for some people,they go in and have a light rumage around and shift the spooky easy bunnies and leave the balled up and ones that refuse to move alone.. thats ok for some i suppose. . . I blame the Twats with the hawks..lol .they started it off Im sure.

horses for courses as they say chaps.

Its good to have a few ferrets in the team with different types of working ability ... Sometimes you just cannot or do not want to be digging in any way shape or form.. On these occasions what i would call a shite useless fekker of a ferret can be usefull for some people,they go in and have a light rumage around and shift the spooky easy bunnies and leave the balled up and ones that refuse to move alone.. thats ok for some i suppose. . . I blame the Twats with the hawks..lol .they started it off Im sure.

Good advice there Vin.. :yes:

I first saw tiny,.weasle sized ferrets 50 years ago...

They were generaly runts of the litter that had survived the cut.. :whistling:

Ocassionaly you would get an individual that defied all the odds and faught his quarry, in the fierce and determined manner of a Mexican Lightweight...

But,..as a rule, these mini ferrets were woefully overmatched and generaly ended up staying in the ground,..perminant...

Nowadays. I have seen a few teams of these weanies,..(not to be confused with the long, lean powerful types, often refered to as Greyhound Ferrets) and through judicious (if slightly unwise) breeding programes, I do believe that certain miniture lines are starting to breed true and produce entire litters of what are collocully termed, micro ferrets...

As stated, I have seen more than enough of these delightful characters trying to work in the deep chalk and flint warrens of the South Downs and also amidst the vast sand buries along the coast...

None have impressed me ... :no:

Perhaps as a single ferret, secreted in a canvas bag, tucked into the lining of a jacket,.. to accompany a lad ,.quietly mouching around the coverts and spinneys,.or hedgerows, bordering a well guarded sporting estate,..and for feeding slyly into a nice easy six hole warren to secure a brace of coney,..and then be up and away...well,.maybe :hmm:

But as a type, for the serious rabbiting enthusiast,...I feel we can do better..

Personaly,..when I used to keep a team of ferrets,..(I don't hunt much these days) my main criteria was that they were all well muscled, fit and eager, and physicaly capabul of moving or if needs be, of killing,.. a reluctant bolter.

I still stand by my own much quoted phrase,..."Bolt or Die"....... :thumbs:

DSC_9223.jpg

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 6

abbotsford ferrets were several of the last greyhound ferrets were i got a good big sandy bitch half white half sandy cracking worker and when you dig you dont have to dig twice like some ferrets ive saw, i think people are getting mixed up with micros which are very small, i have pics of greyhound ferrets from the early ninties and late seventies big long fechers ,and can manhandle rabbits who are not having it ,

people with less expierence and havent seen greyhound type still disbelieve ,just like people who have dogs ferrets but not realy proper hunters, bolt or die is the way cant stand when ferrets cant control the rabbit and there more holes dug than a mining camp ,

bunny tickler to true better going over gunned than under gunned ,got a wild polecat cross first season she is coming on a treat every rabbit we dug had the eyes out him like her mother no messing ,

im out 2 or 3 times a week you soon get a pattern of what ferrets work and what piss about , and as the season goes on takes good ferrrets to stick it out ,

• Like 1

for the uneducated a ferret isnt a ferret had several out hunting over the years , with crap workers just like a dog or lurcher some are bred better for the job than others ,the problem nowadays people bred of sub standard workers hence to get the real good workers its alot harder ,

Yup

And some of the workers you have came through a rescue ferret of mine did they not ?

A ferret is a ferret. You get good ones, and bad ones, but they are all the same species, Not greyhound or micro, and 99% or "EU poley" ( I hate even saying that ) ferrets, are nothing different, just a dark ferret.

By the way. Yer wild polecat is a pain in the ass. Knock it on the heed and I`ll give you a ferret to replace it.

• Like 2