Lurcher Write Up?

Hi, Im thinking of doing a paragraph of some outings that I had with one of my dogs - both current and pre-ban - fairly regularly im doing it for my own pleasure of digging up some nostalgic memories, its not going up so that people can tell me i was wrong or that i am a lier its just there because you might enjoy reading it however as always its open to discussion if you want to.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got my first lurcher when I was 10 years old, I had been bugging my parents for ages for a dog and I wanted a lurcher, I was fortunate to have been brought up in a rural environment in suffolk, regu

Twiggie and I started taking a few hares but on the grass fields we didn't course them so much like a proper coursing dog rather we straight lined them, she was just short of 24tts and had plenty of s

Well done mate, whenever you put pen to paper the critics come out of the woodwork, many a good writer have ceased from submitting articles in fieldsport magazines because of jealousy, and over zealou

I got my first lurcher when I was 10 years old, I had been bugging my parents for ages for a dog and I wanted a lurcher, I was fortunate to have been brought up in a rural environment in suffolk, regularly I would be out shooting pigeons or rough shooting but no one in my family had running dogs. My lurcher was a lurcher to lurcher cross, collie greyhound of unknown percentage and she became my absolute best friend, now of course I was totally unexperienced in lurcher work and so we learned as we went along, from a young age she was walked of the lead with our family labrador and got to chasing after hares, usually just in a wood and i didn't see it as bad, but now I wouldn't even think of letting a young lurcher pup chase hares. As she started to mature I became more interested in working her and as hares were in abundance around my house, that is what we concentrated on. The land at this point was all grass fields and we learnt that to find hares you needed to look for the two black tips of the ears which stood out against the green grass. When she was seven months old she caught her first hare. I had been out looking for them and If i remember right she had a run at one but it got into the wood and so we headed back home, however in the very last field before my house I saw the distinct "black dots" of the hares ears and so we walked towards it, she was of the lead and working ahead of my but as we neared the point where I had seen it the dots disappeared and I had no idea where the hare was, tentatively I creeped towards the area and Twiggie walked just ahead of me, suddenly the hare was up but as quick as it moved, Twiggie moved faster and the hare made one dart to the right but she grabbed it and pinned it against the floor I ran up to it buzzing with excitement and took it from her. It was a three quarter grown leveret but still I was over the moon and as was she, I carried the hare home with Twiggie trotting at my other side feeling as high as the sky.

• Like 11

Well done mate, whenever you put pen to paper the critics come out of the woodwork, many a good writer have ceased from submitting articles in fieldsport magazines because of jealousy, and over zealous critics, as long as you can deal with this, then go ahead and keep it up, ignore any flack and enjoy what you do and write,

• Like 7

a good read matey sounds like how a lot of youngsters started both lad and dog and your first catch is one always to remember :thumbs: funny how you get those that tell you not to start a dog till such a age yet has kids 6 months was the norm and many a dog excelled from having such a early education sometimes even earlier

write your heart out mate, the crabbers will always be there because that's the only thing they can do, a thick skin is helpful i find or maybe i am just too thick to bother about them :laugh: good read by the way, just need to finish it now :thumbs: