Working A Pure Greyhound

I do apologise guys I know this topic has been up maybe before but can't find it, was wondering if anyone used a pure greyhound for working and I mean the small bred ones. The reason I'm asking is was just browsing through greyhound data and seen a little bitch about 24 inches , what a cracking dog she looks but bit expensive for me.

I had one back in 1991, she was a cracker, killed a lot for me, but she broke her neck going down for the strike on a hare, died instantly, others i have had, got injured very easily, only ever seen one greyhound that lived to old bones and he only went out once or twice a week, personally, would not bother myself.

I ran one about 3 years ago. Has extremely quick (as you could imagine) left the lurchers sitting they couldn't get near it when it came to flat out running. However ran a rabbit..... And smashed a sandstone wall and broke its neck instantly. Was a shame too had a proper stock pit I was going to him over.

I ran one about 3 years ago. Has extremely quick (as you could imagine) left the lurchers sitting they couldn't get near it when it came to flat out running. However ran a rabbit..... And smashed a sandstone wall and broke its neck instantly. Was a shame too had a proper stock pit I was going to him over.

Had one, coursing bitch, ran like it had rocket up its hole but broke its leg and had to be pts.

We have ah a few over the years and they have been worked as lurchers and raced, not the best mix obviously but from what I remember (I was a kid) they all worked well enough some better than others the last bitch we had never had any major injuries but the last dog I can remember ended up with a fair few toes missing from working. All had nice natures as were very chilled in the kennels and house. That said the deerhound crosses we owned at the same time were more robust and had plenty of speed for work atb

I had a 27" bitch - absolutely awesome to watch her running down her quarry. Unfortunately the ground round my way is pretty rough and she was way too fast for her own good and took some nasty injuries. Didn't get her till 18 months old though, and as been said previously if I'd had her from a pup she might have grown up a bit wiser to the lie of the land and more cautious (though to be honest I doubt it). Fantastic temperament, very laid back, very quiet in the house, very biddable and a lovely dog. But I'd never have another one unless I was only ever going to run her on bowling greens :laugh: