Pointer X Greyhounds

Hi,

Greyhound/Pointer crosses are tried and tested in the sleddogsport scene.

There they are called greyster or eurohound. But in this sport stamina is more

needed than pure speed, therefore the 3/4 pointer 1/4 greyhound or even 7/8 pointer

1/8 greyhound are more popular.

half breeds are mostly limited to the sprint races 5 km to max 10 km.

but nonetheless here are some pictures of 50% greyhound 50% pointer dogs from the

site of lena boysen hillestad. She is a very competitive and succesful athlete.

http://www.boysen-hillestad.com/21519928

i28282398._szw530h275_.jpg

i28281956._szw530h275_.jpg

Edited by MagyarAgar
  • Like 5

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a pointer cross that i have just in his first season, i don't know exactly what mix is in him maybe someone on here might know the lad that had him him came from near durham services, i have

He's had 34 fox. He catches them in cover no problem. You would be surprised mate GWP are verh powerful and aggressive dogs when comes to mixing it up they can hold there own.

Not only do they kill foxes for fun they will retrieve them too.     TC

Posted Images

Hi,

needed than pure speed, therefore the 3/4 pointer 1/4 greyhound or even 7/8 pointer

but nonetheless here are some pictures of 50% greyhound 50% pointer dogs from the

Do these offer more than the normal husky type then?

Them pointer crosses wer real good stuff rags , Pete , was there the day the litter mate to them was shot . Was down lifting pups from a mating outta a terrier dog we had at the time think the stout dog was one of them if I'm right

I wasn't there that day g (Thank god ) the wee man would have been hard to listen to, stout was a good terrier a little bit on the big side i had him for a while myself when i lost a terrier, you are going back a while now BlackBuck i am starting to feel old. LOL

Hi,

Do these offer more than the normal husky type then?

It depends on the race actually.

The pedigree siberian husky or malamute is not used in competitive sleddog racing anymore.

For the long distance races, like Iditarod or Yukon Quest, alaskan hounds/huskys rule the pack. Which are a crossbred

themselves and most "mushers" have their own recipes (mixes of hounds, huskys and so on).

But for the short races(this ranges from 5 km to approximatly 200 km) and 1 to 6 dog classes and bike/scooter/ski jöring the hound types (crosses between

greyhound and pointer and the offspring) are much faster. Also for dirt races they offer more heat resistance than the husky type dogs.

So in short: They offer more speed on short distances and more heat resistance in hotter weather (which means mostly below 15 °C)

I hope that clarified it a bit, I think it got a little bit confusing. But with the most questions there is no definitive yes or no...

here is a video of another good musher Igor Tracz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfFvqhOS-HY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNs-O-t20-g

Edited by MagyarAgar
  • Like 2

They look nice,but we've talked about euro hounds on here before,we haven't got the wide open spaces like over there,

As for stamina look at the types used by the people on here doing it for a job,or the big bag getters like tomo,

One things in common their dogs are fit looking and that's probably the answer.

horses for courses, the ground we cover here is very hilly,rugged with lots of forestry plantation and woodland, the lurchers have to be able to hunt up and find on there own. I think that you couldn't go far wrong with the type of cross you are considering, although I wouldn't want a half cross myself, mabey 1/4 GWP but that just my opinion.