All Rounders

Just to add another dimension.....I, personally, would only class a dog as an allrounder if it could catch all the quarry I want during the daytime.

I have seen plenty of dogs that looked good on the lamp and yet were too slow for daytime work. Anyone got any thoughts on that? JD

Most important thing a dog can do is catch stuff :yes:,Day or night needs to be able to do it fair and square not bouncing things of hedges.

Anything a dog can do after that is a bonus.

• Like 2

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you're absolutely right Gaz, which is a surprise I thought you needed at least 40yrs under your belt to be right about anything on here.   I have a 3/8 5/8 bull grey from point and shoot li

Woah!!..I've lamped a ton, and still do buddy. I was only voicing an opinion, I wonder why my books get mentioned all the time i say something?   Scooby caught everything in the daytime, except red

Just to add another dimension.....I, personally, would only class a dog as an allrounder if it could catch all the quarry I want during the daytime. I have seen plenty of dogs that looked good on the

Posted Images

Just to add another dimension.....I, personally, would only class a dog as an allrounder if it could catch all the quarry I want during the dayti

I have seen plenty of dogs that looked good on the lamp and yet were too slow for daytime work. Anyone got any thoughts on that? JD

so the man that can only lamp can not have an alrounder I wonder why you would say something like that.stop trying to please everyone jd you lamped plenty and it never hurt the sale of your book scooby.some of us are onto you........your a fake.

Woah!!..I've lamped a ton, and still do buddy. I was only voicing an opinion, I wonder why my books get mentioned all the time i say something?

Scooby caught everything in the daytime, except red deer.I have lamped everything i would ever need to lamp, but its daytime whee it matters, thats just my opinion. Like I've said before, at night, when dazzled quarry is easier, i should know as i've travelled northward dozens of time with a car stuffed to the gills with tackle. However, i don't see how a dog can be classed as an all rounder if it cannot catch during the daytime? The fake....ha ha ha

• Like 9

Just to add another dimension.....I, personally, would only class a dog as an allrounder if it could catch all the quarry I want during the daytime.

I'd agree with that JD, though for me the bottom line has to be 'able to catch all quarry whenever required'.

have you ever owned a dog that can do all the above ?.....and if so what was all the quarry you wished it to do ? All pre ban of course

Yes mate, Scooby had the lot, except red deer. Both day and night. I don't really bother with foxes (never needed to) so my opinion of an all-rounder would be very different to the next man's I guess. The lurcher i have now i would class as an all-rounder too, but there's a few i need to tick off the list before he gets there fully, though he has caught a wide variety of tackle, and travelled extensively all over the Uk and Ireland and onto some Islands too. This is his second season.

I don't post about what I do on here as all the crabbers come out and have a pop, i just do my own thing quietly away,....hope everyone has a good season....JD

• Like 5

I'd agree with that JD, though for me the bottom line has to be 'able to catch all quarry whenever required'.

Thats exactly the way I look at it Bosun

Thats exactly the way I look at it Bosun

Totally, I was just taking it as read that if the dog can do everything in the daytime, then he sure as hell can at night too.... :victory:

• Like 3

Darcy stick to writing books if you've not got time for the dogs a good dog is a good dog il not educate you anymore atb eded

What do you mean not got time for the dogs? :laugh: I'm out every day, i don't think i can do more than that fella.

But, yes, thanks for the support, I will continue to write them.... :tongue2::yes::D

You should write a new book called training a allrounder it take you a long time lol no moon tonight was better than anything you have wrote just my personal opinion merry Xmas lol food for thought atb edrd

Yes mate, every book ever written is better than mine. You are totally correct. :yes: :yes:

Now... All rounders?

IMO there is no true all rounder because of the amount of Jobs possible for a dog, different jobs for different people so an "all rounder" to one is different to another, I'd class an "all rounder" a dog that can hunt r/h/f/d not just slipped but in a variety of scenarios and track & retrieve shot fur & feather, but as someone said earlier that a lot of its down to the training and experience which can only be given to a dog by its handler, the next chap may think different but that's just my opinion :thumbs: .

Seems to be getting mixed up as to what a lurchers role is, I've owned what I would call all-round lurchers, never worked to guns but that’s because that's not a lurchers job, they did run game day and night and could work with nets and very occasionally ferret, plus they were good house dogs. So they were all round lurchers, I could lamp a lab but it wouldn't make it an all-round retriever lol.

• Like 5

Seems to be getting mixed up as to what a lurchers role is, I've owned what I would call all-round lurchers, never worked to guns but that’s because that's not a lurchers job, they did run game day and night and could work with nets and very occasionally ferret, plus they were good house dogs. So they were all round lurchers, I could lamp a lab but it wouldn't make it an all-round retriever lol.

That's a good point I think lurchers are expected to do a lot more than other types of dog, if it works for you and does what you want it to I wouldn't care what anyone else's idea of an all rounder is.

• Like 2

I really Cba to read all the thread but here's my two pence ! Before the ban growing up with my uncle a all rounder to me was something that will run and catch anything on the lamp but lamping isn't really hard game to master ! I'm a bit biased because I love day work ! Not so much the ferreting and or running hares I mean hunt foxes on the Welsh valleys for miles and miles watching lurchers cast and take a line ! Also tracking deer that's must for a day dog ! I don't class a good day dog one that's good at ferreting let's be honest you can ferret with a terrier !!

• Like 1

have you ever owned a dog that can do all the above ?.....and if so what was all the quarry you wished it to do ? All pre ban of course

Yes mate, Scooby had the lot, except red deer. Both day and night. I don't really bother with foxes (never needed to) so my opinion of an all-rounder would be very different to the next man's I guess. The lurcher i have now i would class as an all-rounder too, but there's a few i need to tick off the list before he gets there fully, though he has caught a wide variety of tackle, and travelled extensively all over the Uk and Ireland and onto some Islands too. This is his second season.

I don't post about what I do on here as all the crabbers come out and have a pop, i just do my own thing quietly away,....hope everyone has a good season....JD

a lurcher should catch all edible quarry , and none edible quarry if need be . :yes: If you got permission and a farmer loosing lambs to foxes, and he asks to deal with it you will either gun or dog you will . From a deer to rabbit a lurcher should be able to do it, I was told years a go if a dog can catch a good daytime hare, it will catch any quarry , and when you think about its not far wrong a dog got to have (speed, agility, stamina ) to do so and you need all this , plus guts to take all quarry in the UK . :thumbs::yes:

• Like 1

a lurcher should catch all edible quarry , and none edible quarry if need be . :yes: If you got permission and a farmer loosing lambs to foxes, and he asks to deal with it you will either gun or dog you will . From a deer to rabbit a lurcher should be able to do it, I was told years a go if a dog can catch a good daytime hare, it will catch any quarry , and when you think about its not far wrong a dog got to have (speed, agility, stamina ) to do so and you need all this , plus guts to take all quarry in the UK . :thumbs::yes:

I like a dog use its brain and show this by how it hunts & tackles different quarry e.g. an experienced deer dog would take a muntjac in a different way/style to a fallow

edited to say pre-ban of course :thumbs:

Edited by MickyB
  • Like 1