Working More Then 1 Dog?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For some people it's a hobby and they just like dogs?   The dogs aren't just working tools to some folk.   I like having more than one dog and would happily have 3-4 dogs around me. Never would I

Aye work 2 or 3 together when on my ground its vast with alot of gullys bracken and reed beds they will work well together most times or with a bit of distance between them not very often you get the

The wonderful thing about dogs, and especially lurchers, is that they are so adaptable. Work alone, work as a team, lamping at night, bushing by day or ferreting. One dog at night on the lamp, but hal

One dog would be no use for the ground I work plus if your dog's laid up

well only you know the ground you your dog on most time, but I can say that Bryn my older dog as been on a lot of different ground in 7 years some rough and some ok, and he never been laid up with any injuries , apart from knocking his dew claws now+then, so really didn't need another dog for that reason. only wanted another dog as Bryn just a rabbit dog really,so wanted a bit more from a dog .!

I thought the same bird 5 years no injury out at the beginning of the season one broke it's back pts the other done it's knee no worked since don't know what's going to happen mate that's the dog game always like a couple dogs but never had 2 fecked in the same day

• Like 1

I thought the same bird 5 years no injury out at the beginning of the season one broke it's back pts the other done it's knee no worked since don't know what's going to happen mate that's the dog game always like a couple dogs but never had 2 fecked in the same day

yeh that bloody bad luck that, when it comes like that I can see why you keep more than one dog :thumbs:

I THINK IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE DOG A BIT LIKE A TOP PERFOMCE CAR,,,,,SOME DOGS DONT HAVE 40/50 IN THEM 3 TIMES A WEEK,,,,,UNLESS I GET A PROBLEM,, INJURY, ETC ETC,, THE DOGS I HAVE ADD ARE TO MUCH FOR ME,, AT TIMES ,THAT MITE COME DOWN TO ME GETTING A LITTLE BIT OLDER,,, AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME I MITE NEED 2,,,,,,,MARS IS TOUCH AND GO,,,,, AT THE MOMENT AND IM WITH OUT A DOG,,,

Edited by tjones3862

For some people it's a hobby and they just like dogs?

The dogs aren't just working tools to some folk.

I like having more than one dog and would happily have 3-4 dogs around me. Never would I say "i shouldn't have this many cuz I haven't got the work for them".

Who cares. Work the ones you wanna work on what nights you wanna work them and f**k what anyone thinks.

• Like 8

For some people it's a hobby and they just like dogs?

The dogs aren't just working tools to some folk.

I like having more than one dog and would happily have 3-4 dogs around me. Never would I say "i shouldn't have this many cuz I haven't got the work for them".

Who cares. Work the ones you wanna work on what nights you wanna work them and f**k what anyone thinks.

it hurts me gaz but I agree with you 100% lol
  • Like 2

aye.. first of all my dogs are part of my family... after my old dog receiving a broken leg in the field and is no longer able to work hes just an house/guard dog now (my daughters best friend lol) and i wouldnt get rid of him for nothing, hes done too much for me... so I got lass my bitch but she would be my only worker and knowing how easy a major accident can happen I decided to get some back up lol but they wont be ready till next season which allows lass two good seasons before they come into the picture... but numbers of catch etc don't bother me just being out in the field makes me happy looking over my team... my dogs are all part of the family. cheers for the replys its interesting too see how you all go about working more then 1. atb

• Like 1

hard getting one good dog though never mind a couple or a few imo atb at

If you can get one good dog don't see the problem with getting two jmo

hard getting one good dog though never mind a couple or a few imo atb at

If you can get one good dog don't see the problem with getting two jmo
it's hard nl i suppose some are easy pleased though atb at
lol no all want world beaters just something to keep you content

The wonderful thing about dogs, and especially lurchers, is that they are so adaptable. Work alone, work as a team, lamping at night, bushing by day or ferreting. One dog at night on the lamp, but half the fun I have in the day is working my dogs as a team out bushing. We catch more like that than if I just had one dog out on its own. There's no right or wrong way to do it, but I really enjoy watching lurchers hunting as opposed to just point, aim and fire.

• Like 5

I keep several dogs and always have , but times are different and now its harder and harder to put enough stuff in front of them or even do them fairly in time on the ground. The older you get the harder it gets also LOL now I am retired and loads of time but age has its down side. I honestly think unless you just go out mooching with a pack that two dogs is more than enough nowadays if one gets an injury then you have a back up but more finding work for them is the biggest problem.

• Like 1

Got my pack of two lurchers a beaglex 3 is a nice round number but my old girl is getting older and slower and the young bitch has really come into her own laterly ! Gone draft a pup in next spring/summer by time it's ready to see abit I know it be time for the old girl to come into the house and spend her well earned time Infront of the fire !

• Like 1