I'm from American and just joined here. I do a lot of trapping: mink, muskrat, otter, raccoon, bocat, fox, coyote, possum. We trap these to sell the fur or to reduce varmint problems. I'm curious how common trapping is over there and is there a lot of it done for the purpose of selling fur. If so, what are some examples of prices paid for particular furs?

Up until the 1970s we used to have almost all Grey squirrels in Illinois. Then the Fox squirrels began moving westward and crowding out the greys in the 1980s. Seems like the population has about balanced between the two over the past 20 years.

I'm from American and just joined here. I do a lot of trapping: mink, muskrat, otter, raccoon, bocat, fox, coyote, possum. We trap these to sell the fur or to reduce varmint problems. I'm curious how common trapping is over there and is there a lot of it done for the purpose of selling fur. If so, what are some examples of prices paid for particular furs?

Welcome aboard Rocky65! I take it your trapping season starts soon, you must be looking forward to getting out, and setting some traps!

There is no trapping season over here!

As said already, most trapping done in this part of the world, is done to keep problem species in check!

When it comes to gray and red squirrel, unfortunately there is no natural ballance occurring here, and red squirrel numbers are very low, and grays are everywhere!

Therefore, we must trap gray squirrel all year round, to try and reduce numbers,! Or ideally, eradicate them altogether!

No hope of that I'm afraid!

Welcome aboard Rocky65! I take it your trapping season starts soon, you must be looking forward to getting out, and setting some traps!

As said already, most trapping done in this part of the world, is done to keep problem species in check!

When it comes to gray and red squirrel, unfortunately there is no natural ballance occurring here, and red squirrel numbers are very low, and grays are everywhere!

Therefore, we must trap gray squirrel all year round, to try and reduce numbers,! Or ideally, eradicate them altogether!

Thanks, its good to be here. Trapping season starts in about a week. However, they start the season a bit too early so I usually wait another week to make sure that the fur is fully prime. The prices are supposed to be starting low this year, so I'm not sure how much trapping i will be doing. Our fur market is supposed to be driven by demand in Russia and China. So, prices can fluctuate considerably. Last year Raccoons were as high as $25, muskrats were $10, and mink were $25. Much, much lower this year. But I love to do it enough that I will put out at least a few sets.

• Like 3

Rocky,

Hi and welcome

Do you have to set your traps in a tunnel, natural or man made to protect non target species, or do you simply put traps up and catch whatever comes along?

Do you have to check traps daily? Over here we check traps every 12 hours, legal requirements

Is it correct that the Grey Squirrel is classed as Game in the US?

Edited by shropshire mole

Welcome mate but some people over here say the greys are killing the reds off but thats not true mate.the reds diet is pine cones and its down to our ignorance why the reds are dieing off as if there is any spare land ie connifers it is bulldosed and houses built thats why there is no reds.thats why there is more reds in scotland because of the forestry

Eradicate them altogether !!!!!!!! Jesus, I thought this was a pest control forum ?..? Why the hell would total eradication benefit anyone here ? Don't you like money ?