Why Lurchers Over Pure Greyhounds?

Heart is the biggest attribute of any working dog,and then the tools to het the job done,the better the tools the less they have to rely on the heart.

But to catch Jack rabbits I'd import British isles bred dog bred for hares.

Save you a lot of work trying to get where they was 30 or 40 years ago,why reinvent what's already there

Different terrain and climate. I thought of British coursing dogs first but maybe a line of salukis or saluki bred that are already doing it in the States might be better.

Something like the hounds that dirtwinger runs http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/311998-hunting-hares-from-horseback-with-falcon-and-sighthounds/

The ones there look to have collie in them ,so a lurcher really,so maybe a coursing dog of British or American roots would do. ,raised from a pup they wouldn't know any different,I think even the Arabs will a Bob or 2 for British bred coursing dogs and their climate is quite different

That's very true. If the arabs buy coursing dogs for the desert they'd probably work out fine. Dirtwingers merle dog has saluki as well as collie and in the first post I linked, this one, http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/311448-coursing-hares-in-new-mexico/ ,on page 3, they run an Iranian saluki and a tazi too. He does say that the hounds are a bit slow for the blacktailed jack without the falcon so maybe sal/grey coursing blood then.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Best thing you can do minkenry,,,is talk to the yank fellas on this site,,,and ask there advise,,, or look round the net for an American lurcher site,,,you lads call them stag hounds rather than lurch

Rob2350 you buy your own admission don't know anything about salukis , so why comment about possible qualities they may or may not have? Yes they are sight hounds but if raised as a worker they will h

I had a track greyhound years ago I used to lamp, Cotton Girl, she was the best natural retriever I ever had & only ever killed the first rabbit she caught......after that, all brought back alive.

a greyhound like a saluki is a sight hound. lurchers are bred as gaz said above to introduce other qualities to a dog that the greyhound or saluki does not have. brains for me being the most important.

you suggest a saluki has no brains as such and mention other qualities he doesnt have which are vital to a running dog .what other qualities would they be you say hes lacking ?

As a complete rookie I bought my first dog just over a year ago, I wasn't a complete stranger to working dogs though never worked one myself. I bought a pup from working parents, sire was a huge greyhound x saluki (rabbit & Hare) and mother a greyhound/deerhound x bull (fox etc). I got Pick of Litter and the pup, now roughly 13 months is a nice blend of the four dogs used, heavy saluki throwback looks wise, and also speed, stamina and intelligence. I've seen her run right round the edge of a field to come out on her preys blindside and box it away from tree line into open ground, she certainly ain't stupid. She has a slightly heavier head than either saluki or greyhound and her jaws are like a vice, plus she's taken bad knocks that may have broken bones in pure bred dogs.

A nice little all rounder with a good temperament is the result I think, fast enough for rabbits and hares but big and bold enough to take on a fox.

Again I'm no expert but a good cross is better than a pure bred it seems.

• Like 2

Heart is the biggest attribute of any working dog,and then the tools to het the job done,the better the tools the less they have to rely on the heart.

But to catch Jack rabbits I'd import British isles bred dog bred for hares.

Save you a lot of work trying to get where they was 30 or 40 years ago,why reinvent what's already there

Different terrain and climate. I thought of British coursing dogs first but maybe a line of salukis or saluki bred that are already doing it in the States might be better.

Something like the hounds that dirtwinger runs http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/311998-hunting-hares-from-horseback-with-falcon-and-sighthounds/

The ones there look to have collie in them ,so a lurcher really,so maybe a coursing dog of British or American roots would do. ,raised from a pup they wouldn't know any different,I think even the Arabs will a Bob or 2 for British bred coursing dogs and their climate is quite different

That's very true. If the arabs buy coursing dogs for the desert they'd probably work out fine. Dirtwingers merle dog has saluki as well as collie and in the first post I linked, this one, http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/311448-coursing-hares-in-new-mexico/ ,on page 3, they run an Iranian saluki and a tazi too. He does say that the hounds are a bit slow for the blacktailed jack without the falcon so maybe sal/grey coursing blood then.

Yea. And good lines that have been bred for 30 or more years and even add it to local established lines of staghound