Goodnature Co2 Traps

Expensive if you needed to by 10 or more ... How much are the co2 cartridges and how many strikes do you get before you have to change it ...........

At 49p per NZ$ they work out at about £2.75 each when bought as a pack of 10.

http://goodnature.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/co2-replacement-ten-pack

The A24 give 24 resets per cartridge, so about 10. something p per shot.

TC

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quote: 'why would it need approval, there are no springs in it'   Interesting point - I seem to think that the Nooski was on the HTAO and that is not a spring trap as we know it ...   The NZ agend

I could see those traps cammo'ed up in the top of a tree being devastating for squirrels.   TC

http://youtu.be/HMYiL3C60uc

If they ever did get approved for use over here, I think they would have to be used on a rental basis, where you rented the trap out and then for a separate fee checked it,, if the customer did not wish to do that themselves.

TC

Them cartridges are expensive on there site,,,,I'm sure there the same things that are in soda stream ect,,,,befor it were illegal my mate was selling them in ibiza,,,laughing gas,,,,they were buying them by the tens of thousands,,,and they were just a few pence each

• Like 1

Them cartridges are expensive on there site,,,,I'm sure there the same things that are in soda stream ect,,,,befor it were illegal my mate was selling them in ibiza,,,laughing gas,,,,they were buying them by the tens of thousands,,,and they were just a few pence each

Way round that Tomo.

TC

Expensive if you needed to by 10 or more ... How much are the co2 cartridges and how many strikes do you get before you have to change it ...........

At 49p per NZ$ they work out at about £2.75 each when bought as a pack of 10.

http://goodnature.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/co2-replacement-ten-pack

The A24 give 24 resets per cartridge, so about 10. something p per shot.

TC

ebay bud cheap as chips

• Like 1

Its looks like it works okay i was surprised the smell of the dead one didn't put the other one off ?>

If anything it would attract more. They completed a study using doc traps and found that using two traps in the same box vastly improved catch rates as well as helping reduce reset times due to two traps, which is obvious but the study found one catch dead, attracted more to the unfired catch, with much better attract/appeal results than a single trap sat there.

Like anything its better to have had catches in a trap than not.

great little tool, but would be expensive and fiddly maybe and very obvious. is it the future??? who can tell.

The scale of what these guys have to contend with..I'd put money on its the future.

Doc traps will eventually be phased out...they were only so big, so they could leave them out for prolonged periods till they got around to checking them again weeks later knowing what was in there was dead. But you got to reset still eventually. The 12 model by goodnature would reduce this immensely and save time and money, they've invested millions in research so, its going to happen, looking at it.

So if that's the case Ian would using a dead rat or mouse as a bait, or even maybe just placed somewhere near to a trap, help catch more pests??

Animals are attracted to the same species, try putting multiple traps in a box compared to one and find the results.

I'm not convinced the trap as featured is likely to take the UK by storm. Certainly not in exterior situations.

By the time measures have been taken to lessen non-target access and some sort of corpse capture system incorporated that keeps the entrance to the trap clear yet stops dead squirrels falling on passer-by's heads the idea begins to look like just another "interesting " design.

Indoors there might be an application for it but you could still buy a lot of Tom n Jerry traps for the price of one of these monkeys.

I could be wrong but I believe that NZ only has one native mammal and that's a bat; hence the alien vermin list is pretty long which lessens the arguments regarding non-targets .

It just seems to me that while in a few indoor situations the GCo2 trap might be a useful tool , the modifications needed to make it acceptable for outdoor use would be at the cost of efficiency.

Edited by comanche
  • Like 1

If they ever did get approved for use over here, I think they would have to be used on a rental basis, where you rented the trap out and then for a separate fee checked it,, if the customer did not wish to do that themselves.

TC

why would it need approval, there are no springs to it, and im pretty sure there is something like that over here already, but at a higher cost

I'm not convinced the trap as featured is likely to take the UK by storm. Certainly not in exterior situations.

By the time measures have been taken to lessen non-target access and some sort of corpse capture system incorporated that keeps the entrance to the trap clear yet stops dead squirrels falling on passer-by's heads the idea begins to look like just another "interesting " design.

Indoors there might be an application for it but you could still buy a lot of Tom n Jerry traps for the price of one of these monkeys.

I could be wrong but I believe that NZ only has one native mammal and that's a bat; hence the alien vermin list is pretty long which lessens the arguments regarding non-targets .

It just seems to me that while in a few indoor situations the GCo2 trap might be a useful tool , the modifications needed to make it acceptable for outdoor use would be at the cost of efficiency.

I agree it may not take off over here, even though organisations are looking at them with great interest , but in NZ they will be the next step in controlling non-native species , as you say more or less anything that enters over there will be fair game.

Quote: 'why would it need approval, there are no springs in it'

Interesting point - I seem to think that the Nooski was on the HTAO and that is not a spring trap as we know it ...

The NZ agenda is very different to the UK one, except for the fact that humaneness appears to superseding practicality in a lot of cases (DOC tunnel for example). What I have noticed is that it seems very easy (cheap) to let someone else do all of the leg work in testing traps, and then quickly approve them here (again citing the DOC trap as an example) as if they will suit our needs.

The DOC trap might catch stoats 'well' on GWCT trials but does a successful catch on occasions imply that it is fully effective? I think not. Who is doing direct comparisons? Who is 'qualified' to conduct the trials? What are the figures benchmarked against? There are so many unanswered questions with the approval process it is almost making a mockery of itself - how can a cranky 50 year old Fenn Mk 3, or Sawyer Vermin vermin trap be considered humane when so many other 'new age BGs' etc are failing?

JMHO

• Like 3