Dog Made Me Proud...for A Change..lol.

Guest vin

I was up on the Dales yesterday with the 2 dogs and the ferrets.

I took one of my good Hobs from last year and a couple of young hob kits for their 1st time out. . .it was a very misty/foggy day up on the dales..but for me,much better than recent outing with the weather being way too hot for the dogs.

anyway got there nice and early and was up on the high bankings by 8am with the dogs marking up warrens and running a few around the sedge grass etc etc.. They caught a few out of the cover which is the best of sport for the dogs and an absolute privilege to witness from an hillside with dogs below you in full view of hunt,flush,catch,retrieve etc etc.

Eventually we got down to some ferreting and all went very well... there's not as many bunnies up there this year..but still a few patches that hold a few.. I only had the 1 good hob and it can get tricky on large 20-30 holes warrens that stretch across a banking for 20 -30 and are linked up to the next warren which is the same..the bunnies just hole hop and often refuse to evict themselves,preferring to give the ferret the runaround underground.

This was the case in a lot of the big warrens yesterday.. so I tried to go for smaller ones that were easier to get the results from..

my plan was to get a smallish warren that wasn't to deep and had a few bunnies at home so i could try the kits out.. So I would drop older hob in and let the kits follow him. . . easy... and a good plan. . . But as you know it never work that way..lol

I would drop him in and withing 20 seconds he,s got a grip with one and its time for the spade ..lol. I fed him before he came out and he,s fat from a summer off..but he,s so quick at killing them its unreal. . . then when there dead hes onto next one.

After a couple of warrens with the kits following him I realized they were mugging him off his kills or the ones balled up stop ends and making him move away from them (they are still young and just want to ride his back all day,which is funny as fekk to watch.).

So obviously I though..let the little stinkers try on their own... I must say they both went down and came out very well and with no hesitation. . . But they were obviously just going through and not really working the warrens..But they bolted a couple (by just being there,not battling ) and I was pleased that they had behaved very well and showed a great interest for 1st time out..Happy days so far.

On my way back dwon the hills to the van at end of the day..The dogs marked up warren on some nice sedge grass on a slope..it was about 8 holes and spread out over about 15yards . . I opened the ferret box and the older hob looked knackered..but the smaller of the 2 kits was gagging to go...So in he went.. well Fekk me I was blown away.. I heard them rummbling within 30 seconds and could hear there was gonna be an explosion...lol.. 1st one out and straight up the hill with dogs behind..Bang ! sorted ..on the way back another one out and dogs catch that in exact same spot..as the dog is giving me the bunnie rabbit 3 is flying away with dogs behind..Bang again.. the pup catches all 3 in a row and old dog dont get a look in..hehee. . . I was just having a little senior moment to myslef and wishing REW was there with the video camera,next i hear the squeak of a bunny and the little kits is rolling around a hole entrance with a bunny in a headlock. . .I run over and help him out and watch him enjoy the rewards of his labour for 5 mins. . I just coudnt be happier with the little fellas 1st outing. .what a start.
I was ready for a sit down and count up for the day. so headed back down the hill..about 2 mins from the van I noticed one of the keepers checking traps on a wall line and he came over to see what I was doing and check up I was allowed to be there..etc etc.. Obviously i had permission etc etc so no probs there..We got to talking about the dogs and ferrets and he told me about his lurchers and was pissed off about the lack of retrieve one of them had.. but they didn't lack in any other department so he wasn't bothered...

Anyway while were talking my 2 dogs are off mooching the reed beds and sedge grass below us.. Next thing there on a bunny and soon catch it whilst Im still talking to the keeper..the pup brings it back to me and goes off and finds another chases it and misses it..but then gets back onto another good scent.. she manages another great catch whilst were stood there watching and he says to me... " Them's a very handy pair of dogs mate " do you want to come and shift a few on my ground..?
I got to say for a change I was proud of my team...its not very often things go so perfectly..especially when someone else is watching at same time..lol.
I gave him both the rabbits the dog had just caught for his ferrets and he was very happy for me to come and visit his place this season...
What great Day.

Ended on 30 Rabbits . . 12 netted and rest bolted for the dogs.

Sounds like a brilliant day out ... decent weather .. A god bag ... young kits starting to work ... Young dog doing the biz and gaining more permission ... Win win all round ......

that jill of yours is gagging to get out...I think she will be mad for it mate..couple more weeks with the kits and she can come out.

Sounds like a brilliant day out ... decent weather .. A god bag ... young kits starting to work ... Young dog doing the biz and gaining more permission ... Win win all round ......

Of couse his day would been greatly improved if I had been there..lol

Sounds a great day mate,,,I was gardening...doh

Good read vin. Looks like your team are ready for some graft .Wishing I was there also, let us know when you guys would like me to come and film. I was over near the moors beginning of the week and it was really foggy. I took the ferrets too so I could mooch about but very hard to see anything because of the fog. So took them on the beach instead as you do.