Mk1 Vs Mk3 Finder

Jax13

I appreciate that everyone has their own taste and preference for equipment but I am wondering about ferret finders and if the older kit still makes the grade.

Ive been watching ebay auctions for a week or two and have noticed trends with selling prices on both mk1's and mk3's so I know where to aim for a fair 2nd hand buying price but i'm more curious about the opinions on the merits of the 1 vs the 3.

does anyone actually prefer the older mk1 over the mk3?

am i wasting my time buying a mk1 and should i just go straight for a mk3?

is there a mk2??? I havent come across mention of one anywhere!

aside from the deben offerings, are there any others on the market that make the grade?

can the difference in price between a mk1 & mk3 be justified?

thanks folks.

I don't know if there is any real difference between a mark 1 and a mark 2. I thought it was just the picture on the front of the finder.

I've never used a mark 3 so not really able to comment personally but I know people sold there mark 1&2 finders for mark 3s then wanted there old finders back.

Personally I like the old finders maybe it's just because it was what I learnt to ferret with and I don't like change. I'd be interested to see what people think.

MK1 not waterproof drab grey colour picks up interference.The depth dial is attached by a small screw that can work loose needs to be checked every now and then depth sticker wears out in time having said all that i do like them. The mk3 i have was fine for a few years then started to read way out i had a new back up one but this was also way out depth wise.Never used a mk2 but ive heard battery drain was a big problem. i had my mk1s recalibrated and use these.

Theres a mk1 , mk2 , mk3 and mk3m

The mk1 is a good bit of kit but suffers from interference but you can still get them serviced and repaired and more importantly new collars are being made , it has silly problems that are easy fixed cover the depth dial in clear nail varnish it will last for ever

The mk2 i reckon was rushed out as it wasnt out that long and the mark 3 appeared Deben knew it had faults the largest being it only has 30 battery life compared with over three hundred in the 1&3

The mk3's i just cant get on with maybe nothing wrong with them ive bought my second one with another two collars and keep saying im going to give it another go , but im deaf in my left ear and it really does my tits in that noise ive tried taping it over and just working the lights but it still gets to me

I think all debens stuff have problems and we really need another manufacturer to produce something that would worry them into giving some care and thought into what there trying to sell us but as we are such a limited market no body will spend that amount of cash in this climate

• Like 1

used the mark 1 for 10 years and found this excellent apart from interference on metal, bought the mark 3 two years ago and found used correctly a good piece of kit,carry both now and happy to use either but find the mark 3 slightly better in my own opinion

• Like 2

One big advantage the mk3 has is the search function. The big disadvantage is the stupid noises it makes, Id rather it made the tapping sound like the old boxes did.

in theory, could you switch the speaker to one that makes a different sound? it should only be a case of a couple of wires to cut and resolder.