Poodle Cross Lurcher

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Years ago I used to have one. Dam was 15/16ths greyhound, 1/16th collie, sire was standard poodle. Unfortunately he got killed on the road in pursuit of bambi age 21 months, so never reached his full

Picked this yoke up as a pet for my kid.. 1/2 standard poodle, 1/2 whippet (working whippet) from a accidental mating..  clever wee barsteward.. looks like a lurcher.. paid mutt money for it (€50) hes

Hes nuts for sure, i would say smarter and into more mischeif than any collie ive ever known.. 

Posted Images

Back in the 70s there was a lad round Blackpool way that breed this cross he had an advert in the Exchange and Mart, and about 8 ish years ago tip ratcher had a litter with standard poodle in the line up for sale...atb

Any body on here ever seen a poodle cross lurcher?

Years ago I used to have one. Dam was 15/16ths greyhound, 1/16th collie, sire was standard poodle. Unfortunately he got killed on the road in pursuit of bambi age 21 months, so never reached his full potential, but was shaping up to be all that I could have wanted. Good ferreting dog, sensible around the nets, had taken daytime hares, had a couple of daytime roe under his belt, and had retrieved his first goose from the water (I used to take him wildfowling, though lurcher work was the number one priority). He had a good nose, good feet and coat. Very biddable and great temperament - soft as shite with the kids. One thing I really liked about him was that he didn't look very lurcher-like as his coat hid his body shape; he just looked like a scruffy Heinz 57. So it meant if you just happened to be poking around somewhere you weren't supposed to be you just looked like some numpty dog walker who'd got lost. He didn't draw attention to himself the way a lot of 'classy' lurchers do.

The vast majority of working dog folk scoff at the very mention of the word poodle. The Crufts image springs to mind with the stupid haircut and bows and ribbons everywhere. And the current craze for crossing every sort of mutt imagineable with a poodle and charging £800 for the pups only adds to the perception of them being ridiculous. But underneath the coat they're racy and athletic. They're a highly intelligent gundog and I think it's a crying shame more people don't work them. There's a few kennels in America that do. Anybody interested should take a look at http://www.redhuntingpoodles.com/

I'm sure there'll be plenty of people in this thread lining up to make derogatory remarks about them, but from my own perspective I can't rate the cross highly enough. (Though to be fair, I've never seen any other examples of this cross, so am basing my comments on one individual animal that may or may not have been representative of the cross in general.)

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Years ago I used to have one. Dam was 15/16ths greyhound, 1/16th collie, sire was standard poodle. Unfortunately he got killed on the road in pursuit of bambi age 21 months, so never reached his full potential, but was shaping up to be all that I could have wanted. Good ferreting dog, sensible around the nets, had taken daytime hares, had a couple of daytime roe under his belt, and had retrieved his first goose from the water (I used to take him wildfowling, though lurcher work was the number one priority). He had a good nose, good feet and coat. Very biddable and great temperament - soft as shite with the kids. One thing I really liked about him was that he didn't look very lurcher-like as his coat hid his body shape; he just looked like a scruffy Heinz 57. So it meant if you just happened to be poking around somewhere you weren't supposed to be you just looked like some numpty dog walker who'd got lost. He didn't draw attention to himself the way a lot of 'classy' lurchers do.

The vast majority of working dog folk scoff at the very mention of the word poodle. The Crufts image springs to mind with the stupid haircut and bows and ribbons everywhere. And the current craze for crossing every sort of mutt imagineable with a poodle and charging £800 for the pups only adds to the perception of them being ridiculous. But underneath the coat they're racy and athletic. They're a highly intelligent gundog and I think it's a crying shame more people don't work them. There's a few kennels in America that do. Anybody interested should take a look at http://www.redhuntingpoodles.com/

I'm sure there'll be plenty of people in this thread lining up to make derogatory remarks about them, but from my own perspective I can't rate the cross highly enough. (Though to be fair, I've never seen any other examples of this cross, so am basing my comments on one individual animal that may or may not have been representative of the cross in general.)

was he off typpe ratcher ? I have one the same cross, he's a big b*****d, measures 29" tts. Fantastic nose, trust his marks 100%. He pick up a sent and quarters a field like a good un until he puts up whatevers there. He may not be a superstar and is little to big for rabbit, but he's a good reliable dog that's great with the kids and other dogs, loves water and just generally a decent loyal dog Edited by andyrose

when i was a lad fella who mentored me in dogs used to bring along on occasion an old ladys miniture poodle, it worked in cover with my terriers and nailed a good few rats and rabbits, so id have no doubts the bigger ones are a useful addition to a lurcher

was he off typpe ratcher ? I have one the same cross, he's a big b*****d, measures 29" tts. Fantastic nose, trust his marks 100%. He pick up a sent and quarters a field like a good un until he puts up whatevers there. He may not be a superstar and is little to big for rabbit, but he's a good reliable dog that's great with the kids and other dogs, loves water and just generally a decent loyal dog

I got him from a woman in Luton who owned both parents and had already bred them twice before so was having a third litter. Yours is obviously a lot bigger than mine - mine was finely built and only 231/2" tts.

Thanks for all the replys lads , i was asking because i have one , been out of the scene for a number of years and saw an ad for a poodle cross and thought this could be interesting so i went and got one , she's 14 weeks old . Was just looking for any info on the cross so thanks very much, and watch this space I'll keep posting so u know if she's any good

Good mate Older Greyer Fatter & Slower. Lost my phone few years back & with it all old contacts. PM me your phone no bud be good to catch up. Hope you K & kids all well. Weird was only talking bout you & your Poodle/lurcher nite before last??!!!hope to hear from u soon. Atb Dunc