After A 20 Year Hiatus - .177 Or .22?

Hi, i'm just venturing back into the world of air rifle hunting after a 20 year break and when i was last shooting the general consensus was that .22 was the better pellet size for hunting small furry things, in fact i remember thinking at the time that .177 days must be numbered. However since starting to look into getting back it seems that .177 seems to have made a bit of a resurgence and in fact alot of people seem to rate it over .22.

By the way when i last shot i had both and hunted successfully with both, although i think i preferred .22. So what are most people using these days?

I recently had the same dilemma, back after a 20 year lay off.

I did a little reading and it seemed .177 seemed the calibre of choice more than .22 so that's what I went for.

I'm just pleased with my choice of gun and PCP after shooting only sprinters in the past!

my thought is in the days when guns had only v sights [the scopes that did exist were rubbish] ,a top gun was a bsa airsporter ,webley mark 3 ect these guns shot at 10 ft lbs in 22 .9 ft lbs in 177 .max range with v sights 25 yards .In this situation a 22 is the best caliber to use . Now with both calibers shooting at 11.5 ft lbs, pcps ,excellent scopes and pellets .177 leaves 22 lumbering behind .

my thought is in the days when guns had only v sights [the scopes that did exist were rubbish] ,a top gun was a bsa airsporter ,webley mark 3 ect these guns shot at 10 ft lbs in 22 .9 ft lbs in 177 .max range with v sights 25 yards .In this situation a 22 is the best caliber to use . Now with both calibers shooting at 11.5 ft lbs, pcps ,excellent scopes and pellets .177 leaves 22 lumbering behind .

What a load of rubbish , As long as you know your set up ie gun , pellet ,scope and most important what you can do , all 4 cals will do the same

• Like 2

What a load of rubbish , As long as you know your set up ie gun , pellet ,scope and most important what you can do , all 4 cals will do the same

so you dont have any 177 then

If you have big sausage-shaped fingers, go for .22. If not, you could go for either calibre. If you can't make your mind up, sit on the fence and go for .20. :laugh:

In very general terms:

.177 = flatter trajectory, higher velocity, less stopping power.

.22 = more parabolic (loopy) trajectory, lower velocity, more stopping power (heavier pellet).

As has been said, the best calibre is the one that allows you to place the pellet accurately in a kill zone.

If you have a local air rifle club that has rifles for visitors to use, go along and try both calibres and see which suits.

• Like 1