Best Way To Get My Dog Used To Water

I think you got to go with somebody that dogs love water+swim, ive always had the prob because my older dog will only go in aslong as its feet are on the deck, it wont swim noway , and unfortunately my young dog gone the same way , prob just watching him. so deff go with dogs that love water, that what ido next time if I had another pup, leave this fookin wimps at home and go with just pup . :yes:

Some lurchers just never take to water. I've had some that you can't keep out of the water, and others who won't ever go out of their depth, even on the hottest of days: I've even tried swimming with them to encourage them, but those that don't want to won't. No point trying to force a dog to swim if it just hasn't got any desire to. Most of my Saluki bred ones haven't been swimmers, but I've had the odd one that loves it.

Best way to encourage a dog that is nervous about swimming is to get a shallow lake or river where you can walk out with the dog until it has to swim: but that doesn't mean to say that it will ever go in on its own if it hasn't got a love of being in water.

• Like 2