Advice Please!! Goat To Keep Grass Down In Small Field?

hi, looking for some advice,

my bamp has a small field at the side of his house that is becoming over grown at the minute as there is nothing on there.

i was just wondernig if the best thing for him to do would be to get a couple of goats on there as hes already got the materials to make a shelter for them.

he planned on cutting a hole in the fence so that the sheep could come in from the next field but since hes done that the farmer has taken all the sheep up to the next field.

i spoke to him the other day about a goat and he said something about needing to get some sort of number? not sure what he meant really.

the other thing is what sort of fencing would be needed to keep them from escaping? at the moment there fence is about 4ft maybe 3ft in places.

what are peoples opinions on this please? or any other suggestions

thanks

goats will be fine mate. the fence at 3 to 4 foot should be fine aswell, as long has they have got plenty to eat they shouldnt have the need to try and escape. ive seen some folks keep them on a tether and move them accordingly.

great stuff

tbh i didnt think of tethering them haha

as for them eating everything in sight, thats pretty much what he wants so wouldnt be a problem

ill have a word with him later and see what he wants to do

thanks for the replies

think your mate was on about a "holding number", shouldnt be to hard to get i wouldnt think

:laugh: I put the wrong link up. Now edited.

Your after a CPH number. Details on how to get one are on the link.

You'll need to get two: goats are very social animals and don't do well on their own: one goat on its own will likely try everything to escape and find company, or injure itself trying. A goat intent on escape can climb seemingly impossible fences.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say a goat is a good Idea , as already said you'd need two and have you enough grazing in the winter ????

If not you'll be buying Hay,feed plus bedding .

How fit is your bamp ? Is he able to lug bales of straw about and hay about in a wet field ? you'll need to feed and check on them every day come rain or shine.

By the time he sorts the fence buys the goats feed and bedding it'll be cheaper to pay someone to cut it

have a chat with the farmer see what he says............................... you might be lucky. Unless he's trying to get a cut of hay off the field.

The other option is find someone with a pony and offer them a bit of free grazing ( The nearest farm shop if your stuck).

Good luck with it :thumbs:

• Like 3

Thanks for all the advice I've had a chat with him and I think he's going to leave it for now until he's had a good think about what he wants to do

He is fairly fit and I don't think he'd struggle with hay and things but like what's been said it's more to do with the cost of everything esp the fencing