The point i was trying to make is, there is no law or legislation the requires you to block up entry points when treating bees, only a code of conduct, written by the npta, bpca and some other non entity.

This is where it gets tricky. If it were proved that your treatment caused the collapse of someones honey bee colony and you failed to block the entrances, you could be prosecuted for failing to follow the code of conduct.

Regards to honey bees raiding bumble bee nests, i have never seen any evidence of this.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unclepesta how many bumbles you seen produce honey

Tree Bumblebees mate, here's a link for info. http://bumblebeeconservation.org/images/uploads/Tree_bee_article.pdf

and as an aside to all the legalities of controlling them....................... the tree bumbles that i have decidede to leave alone as they are causing me no harm have decided to repay me it seems,

court cases seem rare. im sure as time go's on more awareness will happen...bombus have a totally different cycle.. bombus does not winter store and live nest raids would be rare by honey bees ive not seen it.. but treating and leaving dead nests in full capacity leaves pollens ect that can be attractive to bees on the hunt.its a big can of worms.normally bumbles have used up stores by the end of there cycle.

like court cases rare and dont here about em but they do happen.. point is but do you wanna be part of it?

walshie shows a case but thats probably one of many.. directly or indirectly people must look at any possible risks.. the fact is in courts your trying to prove innocence.

i see your right into wasps and such can you see my point mr wasp?risk big or small is it our responsibility or not?the courts say it is.

even if we dont agree with big gov and its legislation we have to see the dangers that are there.

this subject you can take to a fine point of arguement but i think judgement by the courts is saying a lot.. hypnorum is getting its feet in everywhere.. it way become a very common feature in pest control more so than now.

i live in the heart of good hypnorum territory they are getting in a fair few houses down this way and im seeing others mention them up country and wales all over.. so im sure you agree the future could be busy with these.

all im saying is treat with care. think. thats it.. my friend has a saying dont watch out for the elephants its the rabbits that will get you.. im saying think outside the box cos nobody want a visit.. isnt it nicer to know its all safe and sound than even one tiny risk being left?

• Like 1

matt i know how you feel but your still in it.. your living it how you want.. taking the best of it.

give me a hand full of traps to work with over pesticides anyday.but we still do it when season comes around.

your in the hotel california club..you can check out anytime but you can never leave.

and let's not forget that in that particular court case (the only one) he was not 'found' guilty of anything. He pleaded guilty because he couldn't afford to defend the case :yes:

Anyway, it's been nice chatting about old times and remembering a couple of reasons why I don't miss doing conventional pest control :thumbs: I'll leave you to it fellas :yes:

matt i know how you feel but your still in it.. your living it how you want.. taking the best of it.

give me a hand full of traps to work with over pesticides anyday.but we still do it when season comes around.

your in the hotel california club..you can check out anytime but you can never leave.

:yes:

Living the dream :thumbs:

I do not need to worry about such things, cause i don't do bees any more.

I do however get a massive amount of calls, mainly for tree bumbles. No doubt when they have put the phone down and don't get any joy from me, they will be calling you.

I will let you do the worrying.

and as an aside to all the legalities of controlling them....................... the tree bumbles that i have decidede to leave alone as they are causing me no harm have decided to repay me it seems, they are all over my runner bean flowers doing what nature intended the to do... so karma has been returned it seems lol..... lots of beans for me this year i hope..................

• Like 3

What the hell? One of his charges was regarding PPE?

It's a long time since I donned a bee keepers veil or suit, I don't find it a necessary item when treating a wasp nest

It is a real shame about the consequences of his product misuse :-(

Edited by ekpestcontrol

What about removing the honey?

I haven't read every comment on this thread but I haven't once seen it stated that removing and disposing of the contaminated honey is the best option.

I have seen the damage caused by honey that has been blocked in walls, ceilings etc.

It has potential to cause all manner of other pest issues, and in certain places can cause a fire risk.

I understand that sometimes when it is behind brickwork it would be very costly to have it removed, however it should be offered as an option.

I don't think anyone was actually suggesting treatments, just talking about the law around possible treatments. And from the posts I have read, it seems very very few people actually know the law.

But yes, removing honey is the best option, but one that very few people will pay for.