Noobs Asking For Perms

Okay, I confess this is a pet peeve, especially after trying to help so many out with threads and the alike, but to find only the hunters with perms are reading them.

But a few quick questions for all newer members that are asking for permissions:

1. Have you actually tried asking land owners, or have you actually just popped on here and thought you'd try your luck?

2. Have you provided any genuine input to the site before asking?

3. Are you a member of a shooting club, insured, or both?

4. Can you actually shoot accurately enough to get a clean kill?

5. How many times have you been rejected by land owners?

6. What system are you using to ask for permissions?

7. What do you intend to do with the quarry once you've taken it?

8. Do you know the General License and fire arm use laws, e.g. footpaths, roads, pylons, etc?

9. Would you trust someone that looked like you, if you were a suspicious land owner?

10. Are you capable of stringing a sentence together when you meet someone for the first time?

Okay, maybe not a few quick questions, but things you should really consider before even asking a farmer for a permission.

I know guys like Tomo, Moxy, and the other regulars will probably also answer these questions, but in all seriousness, I'd love to get an idea of where the newer members are coming from.

I'll add an 11th question:

11. Have you read the info on the forum about getting permissions, liability waivers, insurance, the Wildlife Act, and the General License?

If you answer no to number 11, then you have some SERIOUS catching up to do!!! Number 11 is actually step 1 that you need to take.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What high jinx and japes you must have ............

Get off the high ground, and take the kids out...   That's what was done for most of us, shown the right way by an older generation, it's our time now. The old boys who first took me out taught me

I always found bringing a Apple made me teachers pet.............you must love the sound of your own voice !!

Posted Images

I certainly didn't start out like the above....If they are new and young then maybe a friendly approach might help, this is a hunting site and if you want a future for the sport then we should be encouraging this desire not bombarding them with insurance and alike, maybe direct your pet peeve as you put it towards setting up a 'have a go day' ? ATB Joe

I get where you're coming from, but if a stray pellet does a mischief, and they're not insured, they could be looking at £10'000 or more in expenditure. I think getting them insured is probably the first thing they should consider! As soon as I was asked to shoot on a farm that wasn't my best mate's farm, the first thing I did was ask about insurance!

Also, with things like the GL and Wildlife Act, that should be bombarded. Imagine a member coming on and saying "I bagged me 3 blackbirds, a robin, and 5 starlings." Shortly followed by "You're banned for breaking the law, and giving all hunters a bad name." P.S. The RSPB are probably members on here, and your IP has been requested by the authorities.

I honestly do get where you're coming from, which is why I am trying to help, but for hunters, there are legal rules, protections, and precautions, that need to be taken for the sake of not only the hunter, but also hunting as a sport.

What if some kids came on here boasting about coursing, then got arrested for breaking the law. The newspapers find out they are members of this forum, and 7 days later Ian is fighting a legal battle and we're all down 1 forum.

I do sympathise with trying to get permissions, but if there is to be a future for hunting, certain things need to be imbedded in the heads of those coming up the ranks.

Get off the high ground, and take the kids out...

That's what was done for most of us, shown the right way by an older generation, it's our time now.

The old boys who first took me out taught me respect for the countryside.... and we weren't always on permission, but no one would of known.

It's not rocket science, just get a lad or lass under your wing and show them the ropes..

• Like 5

Well I guess the 'mods' can keep a check on the songbird hunters? I still think this site would benefit hunting more if it brought in air gun/fishing clubs and other opportunities for young lads/lasses to get involved, in what we are trying to support for ourselves and our children, a part of our heritage and forefather's before that. Too many restrictions are just falling in around us ,and decades of liberal numpties that can't keep law and order in check are turning the screws on the law abiding public as a political scapegoat . I think we should stop being victims and just promote all field sports for what they are , good clean healthy fun. Keep it honest, my boy is going to have an air gun supervised by myself as soon as he can pull the trigger. If your pet hate is youngsters asking to have a go then mine is people thinking they have a say in what my son will be doing when he's old enough to go hunting with dad. I am getting somewhat pissed off with this country and where we have allowed ourselves to end up.

Woooah there a second.

I have taken the farmer's son out with me a few times, ratting. I lined up his first rat kill and talked him through it. I even sold him my Ultra (technically I sold it to his father for his son's use...I'm 100% legal). I have encouraged many kids to shoot, and a few of the neighbour's kids regularly pop round and shoot in my garden under my supervision.

The wife knows that when we have a child, they'll be getting an airifle and learning to stalk, to shoot , to gut, to skin, to butcher, and cook, ASAP. They will also know respect for what others have worked for.

Are there a lot of restrictions? Yes. Does letting every tom-dick-and-harry with an itchy finger, help hunting? HELL NO!!!

The thing is, someone popping onto a forum, then asking for permissions....why don't you take out those around you first and tell me how well that goes?

Okay Joe777, next time anyone from South Wales asks for a permission, whether you know them or not, take them out with you or give them access to one of your permissions, whether they're insured or not, or a good shot or not. But make sure everything they do is under your name, yeah?

I'm just going to point a few things out quickly.

1. I've made posts to help people get permissions.

2. I've pointed out pitfalls for what a person could be doing wrong.

3. I've shown that persistence pays off.

4. I've offered help for how to ask for permissions.

5. I've provided, in this post too, the starting line for how to hunt legally.

6. I've created a thread about how not to ask, but inside of it how to ask for help with permission.

7. I've pointed out the locations of information they need to follow and know, to help keep country sports alive.

Please do forgive me if you believe I'm against new members getting into hunting. I'm not. I'm new to air rifle rabbiting, Air rifles have always been for ratting for me, and shooting with friends and their .22lr's has been rabbiting (Ironically, in Warrington, which is why I reacted so badly to that Jack kid. I got 2 permissions after asking 9 places, and I was 18 at the time). So I ask hundreds of questions, make mistakes, then ask how to improve. I am all for people getting into hunting. Which is why I try to help so much.

As has been pointed out a few times already, when people ask for permission, it doesn't go well. So by pointing out why not to ask for permission, but instead to ask for help with how to ask for permission from land owners, I believe I am helping newer members have a smoother transition into the forum and not upsetting a lot of people straight off the bat.

Edited by RemyBolt

Okay, I confess this is a pet peeve, especially after trying to help so many out with threads and the alike, but to find only the hunters with perms are reading them.

But a few quick questions for all newer members that are asking for permissions:

1. Have you actually tried asking land owners, or have you actually just popped on here and thought you'd try your luck?

8. Do you know the General License and fire arm use laws, e.g. footpaths, roads, pylons, etc?

9. Would you trust someone that looked like you, if you were a suspicious land owner?

10. Are you capable of stringing a sentence together when you meet someone for the first time?

Okay, maybe not a few quick questions, but things you should really consider before even asking a farmer for a permission.

I know guys like Tomo, Moxy, and the other regulars will probably also answer these questions, but in all seriousness, I'd love to get an idea of where the newer members are coming from.

I'll add an 11th question:

11. Have you read the info on the forum about getting permissions, liability waivers, insurance, the Wildlife Act, and the General License?

If you answer no to number 11, then you have some SERIOUS catching up to do!!! Number 11 is actually step 1 that you need to take.

I always found bringing a Apple made me teachers pet.............you must love the sound of your own voice !!

• Like 5

Joe777, I think you totally missed, or I failed to properly explain, this post.

I'll answer and assess each question.

Simple wake up call. If you're not asking land owners, you're probably not asking the right people.

How are other members going to see your request or reason for joining the forum? Will you be seen as a person seeking to improve and help others, or are you going to come across as selfish? Which kind of person would you help?

A suggestion on where to meet other shooters in your area, and how to be taken more seriously, e.g. insurance.

Do you own an air rifle, or are you actually a skilled shot able to kill? If you are not proficient enough to cleanly/quickly kill your quarry, you are technically breaking the Wildlife Act 1981.

Showing rejection is natural in this passion. It's part of the lifestyle. Also, counting can be motivating "What, I've been rejected 5 times....I might as well get out and keep trying."

Do you just knock doors, or have you tried asking in farmer's markets, have you tried leafletting, have you tried presenting the permission offer differently, is it your approach that's letting you down?

Have you the skills to dispose of the quarry? Can you gut and skin?

Do you know the law? If not, you could well be in prison before taking your first shot at a rabbit. All you need is 1 mistake and you're banned for life! Try being on a public footpath shooting down the path, near a blind corner......law suit waiting to happen.

Are you dressing appropriately when you're knocking doors? Remember the land owner will judge a book by it's cover.

Do you panic when you meet a person for the first time? Have you planned what you're going to say? Have you practiced your sales pitch and thought of how to answer the questions they'll probably ask?

Do you know the law, have you read the information from experienced shooters/hunters, are you taking this serious and want to be a part of the legal, law abiding citizenry that are hunters, or are you just a person with a gun that want's to kill stuff and can't be bothered to actually pull your finger out and learn a few things that will help yourself and the lifestyle?

I hope these answers better frame the questions and the kind of internal self assessment I was hoping people would consider.

It's like acoustic honey for your ears haha.

I've had loads of help improving my shooting, gear, decoying, legals, insurance, and the alike. So putting all the stuff about permissions is just handing back knowledge I've gained.

Youve told us like 10 times how to get Permission now mate think we got the Picture haha I got a mental Image on you mate I bet you got all the gear real dressed up for a days shooting and like being in charge and I reckon your Probably well off and maybe run a Business or talk for a job I dont know but talk about Something Else mate Besides getting Permission

• Like 1

I don't think I am amazing or anything like that. But I didn't find any info to help people get permissions, so I added my sales experience and tried to help. Instead of having a go at me, why don't you try to help newer members get permissions?

Maybe recommend a few places to look at, suggest the best places to ask, help with an advertising campaign, or take them out with you?

Oddly, I didn't see any of that. Before you criticise me for trying to help, check the number of posts you've made to help newer members get permissions.