The only way to control Ratty,in most conditions,is the use of poison,s,the major problem then is that the average joe will use it indiscriminately,thus indiscriminate second,3rd and 4th generation poisoning of non target species.Professional pest controllers are also responsible for the deaths of non target species,its impossible to control where ratty will go to die,or be killed and eaten whilst in the death process,which can take a while.Secondary poisoning as to be an acceptable part of the process,as unsavoury as that is,in these modern times.As someone mentioned earlier,cleaning and safer disposal and security of food sources alleviates a lot of the problems.

• Like 3

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Birds of prey such as owls and kestrels prey on the rodents in the stuper stage before death .IMO people have relied on poisons too much in the past instead of good husbandry and traditional methods.T

You sure do ask some slightly odd questions about things you should know about really but you seem to want folks to say things out loud,imo your someone to be on your guard with so carefull folks wi

The use of terriers in the control of rats and other pests is what we as terriermen need to convey to the public.   The ANTI's have been banging on for years about Fox hunting and have ignored the o

Posted Images

docking the ail is handy for bushing terriers, isn't that the purpose, very interesting job Matt, do you know of any papers published with facts etc in regards to the owl populations and rodenticides?

You sure do ask some slightly odd questions about things you should know about really but you seem to want folks to say things out loud,imo your someone to be on your guard with :yes: so carefull folks with this one as all is not what it seems imo....

• Like 5

OK guys, I worded it badly :yes:

The point is that the secondary poisoning problem is not caused by raptors eating dead rodents. It's linked to raptors eating non target small rodents that have consumed bait laid for rats :yes:

Sorry for the confusion :thumbs:

if the rat population is becoming immune to the two bait types that are allowed for outdoor use, and studies have shown 70 - 80% of raptors and owls contain these poisons, is it not possible that raptors and owls are also becoming immune to these poisons :hmm: if this was not true then surely there would be dead raptors and owls littering our countryside towns and cities, we live with things that are bad for our health on a daily basis breathing in and eating all sorts of harmful stuff but our bodies adapt to live with it, seems to me this is another global warming story that creates jobs for the boys,

• 3 weeks later...

Wouldn't worry too much about what the daily star has to say. its just scare mongering. nests of 1 million rats. rats as big as cows. who also remembers the swine flu pandemic that was going to kill off millions a few years ago and the bird flu that was going to do the same.

• Like 1

Interesting topic this,

Last year, I contacted members of a panel working on restrictions for second generation anticoagulants. As a pest controller I wanted to make my experience gained in the field known to them.

The panel was formed of representatives from large organisations with vested interests. (no prizes for guessing which)

My main concerns were based upon the general public's access and usage of SGAR's, based upon many examples of misuse that I've witnessed, and general attitudes I've come across.

I also stressed that the vast majority of pest controllers have respect for the environment, and are extremely mindful of preventing access/harm to non-target species.

Unfortunately they weren't interested in the slightest. I expect that conclusions drawn from their meetings had been decided before they all sat down. As is often the case, it will have probably been for appearances sake...

Still, at least I had my say...

Edited by outandabout

theres no more eco friendly, cost effective way to target the said species than working dogs, bred for hundred yrs for the sole purpose of controlling vermin long before poisons were invented

Out and about,

I am also a pestie, organisations as the above are always going to be biased, with no real concrete evidence, they are alway going to blame the easiest option, it's their scape goat & probally makes them all feel a lot better and like they're doing something for their cause.

Ironically, I expect most pest controllers got into their proffesional through a love & interest of nature, well I did anyway

. The general publics view of pest control is that we are small brained Neanderthals, throwing poison here there & everywhere, not thinking of the consequences. Every action we take has a legal and moral obligation.

At the end of the day, what is more important, our health or wildlife? I would like to know what would be more important to these wildlife warriors if their children fell ill with Weills, murine thyphoid or e.coli. What would be more important to them "sorting out" the rats in their garden or saving the wildlife?

Now here people may say I'm biased, but I believe that rodenticide should not be sold for amateur use. We would probally be in a lot less trouble.

• Like 1

My main bone of contention with them was the approved waste disposal procedure for the two user groups.

Professionals - dispose of waste bait & carcasses as hazardous waste.

Public - double bag waste bait and dispose of in household waste. No mention of carcass retrieval or disposal on product labels (at the time)

It's not difficult to see the problem group here, but which do you think is taking all the flak?

Agree with you totally PFS. I also have to agree with Ggib and others that terriers are a big part of the answer to rodent problems, and it's good to see their use being encouraged in the media these days. As you can see, I have an apprentice who accompanies me to work (when it's not too hot in the van). You won't see a faster and more humane kill than a quick terrier shake!

Edited by outandabout

Rats have immunities to rodenticides that can be purchased for amateur use, rodenticides such as diffenacoum & bromadialone. Proffesional indoor baits such a brodifacoum, flocoumafen & dithethialone are very effective used in the right hands.

Totally agree with your comment on amateur Caracas disposal, it's criminal really & we get the blame when a professional has so much to go through to rid his carcasses.

Terriers are a extremely big part of control in the right situation.

On some commercial kitchen jobs, It's just not feasible to have my dogs running all over the kitchen.

they are immune to the house hold poisons but the poisons for say rento kill still work but you need a liscense to use them. I agree the best way to deal with rats are with dogs.

did you mean rento kill or rentoripoff?