Hv Or Subs?

Walshie, get ya ears tested. :tongue2: I've put a few HVs through my 22 too compare with the normal subs and there was a huge difference to my tabs!

Daft question but was your gun moderated in both instances?

Blimey. That's where I went wrong. I must have forgotten to put the mod on. :laugh:

Definitely modded both times and definitely a difference, but not a massive one.

Maybe my HV are very quiet ones.

Never come across quiet HV's.

The time my friend put some HV's through his Finfire the difference was like night and day.

The Winchester subs, were quieter than my air rifle, just a rush of air really not even an audible bang. By contrast the HV's we put through, echoed off the hills 1-2 miles away and round the valley 2 or 3 times. very loud to the point where you wouldn't even know you had a mod on.

What county you in Alsone ?

Part of Yorkshire.

Using a .223 for rabbits can be very expensive and messy. Even if you reload.

Yeah I realise that. Like I say I don't have an FAC but I acknowledge at £18 for 20, its around a £1 a shot. Then again, as I said, I shoot very few rabbits. Only 3 or 4 max per session. When you shoot like that, £4 for an evening out isn't bad! As for the mess, well yep, you wouldn't be retrieving anything!

Haha well something ain't right. Every sub I have ever heard has been practically silent, just a muffled pfffttt as the mod does it's thing and the receiver cycling the next round. Supersonic rounds go with a hell of a crack.... by their very nature.

+ 1.

See my reply above. The HV's literally echoed round the valley.

To me, .22LR has a place as the only truly quiet rifle. That said, I don't personally like it for the other reasons I quoted and the fact that I very nearly took a ricochet to the head - passed an estimated 3 feet over my right shoulder! Give me a fragmenting round any day.

I pay £27.50 per 50 for hornady 55gr sp in .223

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Subs with a moderator any day of the week for yard work myself.

Best start preparing himself for the disappointment then lol

When I've shot HV rounds in past I've found there's a lot of variation in the noise.   Even them subs last night all sounded different. Winchesters were the quietest and the cci,s the loudest.A cou

Sounds like someone will be buying a hmr soon... :whistling::D

Nah. Don't have an FAC. Besides in my county for fox, you have to have CF, usually .223 min, even on 1st grant.

For the numbers of rabbits I shoot, I'd probably use a .223 as an all round gun.

If numbers became an issue, then yep I'd take a HMR as a 2nd gun over a .22 any day, unless I was shooting near housing at night. A few cracked cases and for some it becomes the devils spawn. Personally I don't see it. The superior range make the HMR a very nice little tool for small pest control. Every calibre has an achilles heal and .22 is far from perfect - low power, limited range and a tendency to ricochet or pass through small game. It's big advantage is its cheap to run, near silent when moderated and doesn't damage meat.

Would love to try out the WSM though.

.22 hornet actually Alsone.

• Like 1

Sounds like someone will be buying a hmr soon... :whistling::D

Nah. Don't have an FAC. Besides in my county for fox, you have to have CF, usually .223 min, even on 1st grant.

For the numbers of rabbits I shoot, I'd probably use a .223 as an all round gun.

If numbers became an issue, then yep I'd take a HMR as a 2nd gun over a .22 any day, unless I was shooting near housing at night. A few cracked cases and for some it becomes the devils spawn. Personally I don't see it. The superior range make the HMR a very nice little tool for small pest control. Every calibre has an achilles heal and .22 is far from perfect - low power, limited range and a tendency to ricochet or pass through small game. It's big advantage is its cheap to run, near silent when moderated and doesn't damage meat.

Would love to try out the WSM though.

I agree 22 hornet what a cracking little gun,

I can't see why anyone would opt to use HV rounds over sub sonics out to 100 yards if rabbits are the quarry.

If a close range fox was expected then that would be a exception to give a little more hitting power than the sub.

Funnily enough I was out last night testing eley, Winchester, rws and cc I subs through my cz and all were shooting less than 1" ten shoot groups at 60 yards.

Eleys shot a one hole group and were best but I can't recommend a particular brand for you as every barrel is different.

How do you find ELEY's,I havn't tried them for about ten yr, and they used to be very waxy and leave a lot of powder residue,that's why I went off them,have they sorted that ??????

I can't see why anyone would opt to use HV rounds over sub sonics out to 100 yards if rabbits are the quarry.

If a close range fox was expected then that would be a exception to give a little more hitting power than the sub.

Funnily enough I was out last night testing eley, Winchester, rws and cc I subs through my cz and all were shooting less than 1" ten shoot groups at 60 yards.

Eleys shot a one hole group and were best but I can't recommend a particular brand for you as every barrel is different.

How do you find ELEY's,I havn't tried them for about ten yr, and they used to be very waxy and leave a lot of powder residue,that's why I went off them,have they sorted that ??????

ELEY's seem to have improved but then I tend to give my rifles regular cleaning sessions so never notice massive build ups like that mate.

ELEY's seem to have improved but then I tend to give my rifles regular cleaning sessions so never notice massive build ups like that mate.

I clean mine regularly too, at the time I was shooting a lot of rabbits and found the residue very gritty,and used to stick to the wax from the bullet heads that was left in the magazine and action,I can't remember it causing any big problems just inconvenient when the others didn't,

Yeh eleys are my prime brand for rabbits and although coated I dont notice any problems with them you've mentioned, I think they run at under 1000 fps maybe 950 fps or something so I do believe none of the other main brands run as low as this.

Ah ok. Wasn't sure if they allowed hornet or if it was .222 / .223 min. Knew it was CF only.

i am also in yorkshire alsone……..north yorkshire………..and shoot a .22 rimfire on fox …at reasonable ranges and also have previously used the 17hmr on fox …..both legally…….to say you need a cf is wrong ………says on my conditions ( vermin) ……fox are vermin

Yes its not what we believe is right or wrong its what's stated on our certificate by our own feo, whether or not its stated as vermin, AOLQ or specifically fox is up to them and how they word it if in fact they do allow you.

Edited by celticrusader

Ah ok. Wasn't sure if they allowed hornet or if it was .222 / .223 min. Knew it was CF only.

i am also in yorkshire alsone……..north yorkshire………..and shoot a .22 rimfire on fox …at reasonable ranges and also have previously used the 17hmr on fox …..both legally…….to say you need a cf is wrong ………says on my conditions ( vermin) ……fox are vermin

Different in other regions of Yorkshire. :)

No RF allowed vs fox in my region including HMR (at least for good reason). I haven't seen an FAC from round here to what conditions are imposed.

Edited by Alsone

Try getting fox on a ticket for ANY rimfire in SYorks, no chance, I would not wish to test the water by claiming I shot one under my "vermin" condition, I agree foxes are vermin, but still would let somebody else be the test case, so I will stick to the .243 for charlie, they dont seem to get up for some reason :hmm::yes:

Edited by charlie caller
  • Like 1

Try getting fox on a ticket for ANY rimfire in SYorks, no chance, I would not wish to test the water by claiming I shot one under my "vermin" condition, I agree foxes are vermin, but still would let somebody else be the test case, so I will stick to the .243 for charlie, they dont seem to get up for some reason :hmm::yes:

Hear hear Charlie. According to the dictionary foxes are vermin, but i don't believe firearms departments use dictionary definiitions. If they DO mean that, I'd get them to put it in writing.