Trapping Hammer

Hi All,

After a bit of help / info, my lad is after a trapping hammer but after having a look around they seem a bit on the steep side to buy!

I wondered what you lads use. I seem to remember some talk of modified brickies hammers and wondered if anyone had some pics of theirs or tips for how to turn a brickies hammer into a useful trapping hammer.

Thanks in advance for any help

Ade

Try looking round round some car boot sales you will be surprised what you find..

Thats good advice, I have been having a look but only come up with the brickies hammers so far, hence why I thought a modded one might be easiest and not to mention cheapest!

Atb

Ade

Same here i just use a brickies hammer it does the same job knocking snare pegs in or digging out a trap bed or for pulling up snares , but if you want to pay a bit extra theres fourteen acre ?.

Origional trapping hammers are for the purist or collector as they can be difficult to find as well as being expencive ....

If you are determined to source an origional then look out for brands such as brades / hytest / Trojan....

If your just looking for something that will "do a job " then as OTC says, look at those offered by Fourteenacre .....there as close to an origional as you will find and require little or no modification.

• Like 1

Got a Brades here. It's alright. Has its uses. But, put a gun to my head and I'd have a f**king hard time coming up with what It can do, that a chinky claw hammer from the cheapo chinky shop couldn't.

Anyway, when all's said and done? As Heritage suggests; It's all about 'Nostalgia', for a time the vast majority never even knew. It's wanting to be " Authentic ".

Well, I'm sorry. But, reality's a bitch! What, exactly, are ye going to Do with this authentic, original Trappers Hammer?

Bed a trap within the over hang of a rabbit bury? Try It! Ye'd better be a master of the 'One Inch Hammer Strike'. Or work on rabbits the size of really big f**king badgers!

Because, these hammers won't fit in a bury. They were never intended to. They were made to enable the swift bedding of an Open laid trap! And no such trap is allowed, these days.

Honestly; I have a little, plastic scoop I use for filling my peanut feeders with. Ye'd be better off with a metal one of them, in the real world.

We all like the fantasy of having 'The Right Gear'. But, reality and experience can be a real kick in the balls icon_neutral_zpsf88c927b.gif

• Like 1

I always use wooden pegs and find a wooden mallet splits the peg tops far less than a metal one. My mallet - made from the horizontal side shoot of an established holly tree as the handle and the 'trunk' part as the mallet head - has lasted me for a long time.

To dig the trap bed out I have a billhook, that I also use for knock back vegetation, cutting brash etc if I need it but I find I rarely have to use it for setting traps

I have seen various contrivances made for setting traps over the years, some decades old, and it is up to you what you use in the situation you need it for. I trap on sandy soil, but if yours is hard chalk with flint etc then you need something different to me perhaps

OTC

Genuine trap hammers haven't been produced for quite some time and when they were being made the majority were shipped abroad to places such as Australia .

There are several other reasons why there no longer used with price and availability being the two major reasons...., as has been said above, there also ( in most instances ) difficult to use in a confined space as the head is rather large and unwieldy ....

Trapping and the actual traps used has evolved over time and so must the associated equipment.

I have several trap hammers and I was fortunate enough to find an origional that is half the size of your typical setter so used alongside another couple of bits I find trap setting relativley easy.....

I really don't think it matters what you use as long as it works for you.

Cobblers hammers are also a very good alternative......

I always use wooden pegs and find a wooden mallet splits the peg tops far less than a metal one. My mallet - made from the horizontal side shoot of an established holly tree as the handle and the 'trunk' part as the mallet head - has lasted me for a long time.

To dig the trap bed out I have a billhook, that I also use for knock back vegetation, cutting brash etc if I need it but I find I rarely have to use it for setting traps

I have seen various contrivances made for setting traps over the years, some decades old, and it is up to you what you use in the situation you need it for. I trap on sandy soil, but if yours is hard chalk with flint etc then you need something different to me perhaps

OTC

when i was trapping a lot with the fenn rabbit traps like 60-80 traps twice a day i used a wooden mallet for the very reason you say and a bill hook for digging the beds out but this was in commercial christmas tree plantations...i had a brickie hammer but the holes were always to small for it...

Got a Brades here. It's alright. Has its uses. But, put a gun to my head and I'd have a f**king hard time coming up with what It can do, that a chinky claw hammer from the cheapo chinky shop couldn't.

Anyway, when all's said and done? As Heritage suggests; It's all about 'Nostalgia', for a time the vast majority never even knew. It's wanting to be " Authentic ".

Well, I'm sorry. But, reality's a bitch! What, exactly, are ye going to Do with this authentic, original Trappers Hammer?

Bed a trap within the over hang of a rabbit bury? Try It! Ye'd better be a master of the 'One Inch Hammer Strike'. Or work on rabbits the size of really big f**king badgers!

Because, these hammers won't fit in a bury. They were never intended to. They were made to enable the swift bedding of an Open laid trap! And no such trap is allowed, these days.

Honestly; I have a little, plastic scoop I use for filling my peanut feeders with. Ye'd be better off with a metal one of them, in the real world.

We all like the fantasy of having 'The Right Gear'. But, reality and experience can be a real kick in the balls icon_neutral_zpsf88c927b.gif

Laughing my ferkin arse off! Yep exactly what he said.

When I was still mad enough to do big trapping campaigns I just used a claw hammer, worked just fine.

• Like 1