Whippet X Deerhound

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rather than try and put a pure whippet to a Deerhound,..we found it easier to use a big whippet (generally a Heavyweight, Scratch Dog) over a nice, well balanced Deerhound /Greyhound. At first there

I've put this on befor,,,but that bitch in my avatar was some bitch,,,whipp,grey,,,,over a deer,grey,,, although I only have the vendors word on the breeding,,,,mind not quite the same as a straight d

Personaly,...I sometimes feel that folk pay too much heed to mathematical equations, percentages, etc,..making the creation of a roustabout hunting dog,..just that wee bit too complicated...

The trouble would be finding a DH bitch that worked to a decent standard then talking the owner into forgoing all the money he could make out of a litter of working type DH pups and using his bitch to produce the cross in question, i suppose if enough folk wanted a pup you could get together and buy the whole litter up front, good and bad, before the mateing, at least then you could pick your own stud dog, bit like renting the bitch,s womb. Much more chance of getting DH X GH bitch and putting a good whippet to her, not rearly what we are looking for but as a 3/4 GH 1/4 DH is the best working dog i,v had in my lifetime i recon i could live with that, i dont see the DH blood being used these days like it was in the 70's & 80's which is a pitty, they bring more to the table than just look's.

• Like 2

The trouble would be finding a DH bitch that worked to a decent standard then talking the owner into forgoing all the money he could make out of a litter of working type DH pups and using his bitch to produce the cross in question, i suppose if enough folk wanted a pup you could get together and buy the whole litter up front, good and bad, before the mateing, at least then you could pick your own stud dog, bit like renting the bitch,s womb. Much more chance of getting DH X GH bitch and putting a good whippet to her, not rearly what we are looking for but as a 3/4 GH 1/4 DH is the best working dog i,v had in my lifetime i recon i could live with that, i dont see the DH blood being used these days like it was in the 70's & 80's which is a pitty, they bring more to the table than just look's.

Yeah I agree with what you say buster, and I could get a 3/4 grey/deer pretty quickly, great dogs, and there have been a few whippet x deer/greys bred the last few years too. I'm not in any particular rush for a pup of any type really, as we have a couple of seasons left in the bitch we have here, plus my son's got a nice dog he'll be starting this season. It's just that I really fancy a 1st x whippet/deerhound.

Anyway, thanks to everyone that replied :thumbs:

:hmm:Rather than try and put a pure whippet to a Deerhound,..we found it easier to use a big whippet (generally a Heavyweight, Scratch Dog) over a nice, well balanced Deerhound /Greyhound.

At first there was a fair percentage of smooth coats and fairly rapid critters in the litters,.no probs with that, but, back in the day,...we fancied the rough coat look.. :laugh:

By breeding close,..we eventually started to get a high percentage of rough to broken coated types in every litter. They were beautiful things,..definite show stoppers and were much in demand by the showing fraternity...

The mix of Whippet and Deerhound blood, really does make for a nice sort of lurcher,... :yes:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 11

I have here a 3/4 whip/grey x 3/4 deer 1/4 grey dog here he stands 28 tts smooth coated but very light weight in frame , he is 18 months so roll on season I'm hoping he turns out better than my first cross doxhope dog . My doxhope is 5 so I've been starting to think of what next I know how hard it's to find good working deer xs these days

I think a whip/deerhound back to a greyhound would be a belter. But personally I wouldn't fancy a whippet/deerhound first cross. (Though having said that, it depends what you'd want to do with it.) Yes, you'd have coat, good feet, stamina and I'm sure they'd be real lookers to boot, but what about speed? Pre-ban I did loads of coursing with both deerhounds and whippets. Both were slipped at 40 yards in theory. But in practice with a 40 yard slip it would often end up as nothing more than a chase with them never even getting a turn in. Yet compare that with greyhounds, slipped in theory at 100 yards, but I've seen slips of 120 yards plus on the Withens and they'd still get up to the hare and get plenty of work in.

I'd love to hear about any genuine first crosses and what they're like in reality. But my gut feeling is they'd be lacking in speed.

I think a whip/deerhound back to a greyhound would be a belter. But personally I wouldn't fancy a whippet/deerhound first cross. (Though having said that, it depends what you'd want to do with it.) Yes, you'd have coat, good feet, stamina and I'm sure they'd be real lookers to boot, but what about speed? Pre-ban I did loads of coursing with both deerhounds and whippets. Both were slipped at 40 yards in theory. But in practice with a 40 yard slip it would often end up as nothing more than a chase with them never even getting a turn in. Yet compare that with greyhounds, slipped in theory at 100 yards, but I've seen slips of 120 yards plus on the Withens and they'd still get up to the hare and get plenty of work in.

I'd love to hear about any genuine first crosses and what they're like in reality. But my gut feeling is they'd be lacking in speed.

you could well be right on the speed in effect non pedswhipps are and would be my choice of whipp to use in the f1 the deerhound if of good quality should add a wee bit stamina good coat foot structure and the temp. ped whipps if xsed to hounds in my thoughts are best going to greys.atb bunnys

Sounds like a lot of fooking about to get an average lurcher sized dog that can't do anything your average lurcher can't do

What's your average lurcher, and where can I get one?

Pick a litter off 2 workers and take your chances, if you really want one get in touch with roybo his litter will do all you will wZnt with the effort put in

Sorry, it was a poor joke mate.

Just it seems so often the same description is used to describe a world beater and an average lurcher.

Maybe it's just about where you're standing.

But yer, a lot of folk say, feck me. . . . . I just saw a dog do this. And you're thinking. . . Isn't that what dogs do?

I dont think their main job would be hare's though, but hares as a side line who knows, i have a 35lb 3/4 whipp 1/4 beddy here that will turn a hare given a 40 yrd start but if the jobs not done before the 3rd turn it aint getting done, its a stamina/size thing [ i think you need a minimum of 24" TTS for a hare dog] and having the excess speed to get back on its arse quickly. nobody but me as far as i know have mentioned eye sight regarding DH cross's on this forum before but in my experience a DH cross seems to see things at a much greater distance than any other cross i,v used, its not just that they are taller they even do sat down, i,v spent many many hours sat in hedge bottoms looking through my bino,s and seeing nothing moving then the DH cross say,s its over there you blind sod, and it is :laugh: .

• Like 1