Collie/greyhound X Deerhound/greyhound

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my bitch with a touch of beddy

Hi shaaark,....back in the 1970s/1980s,...everyone I walked out with kept dogs of this breeding,..well thereabouts...   As a type, it is a lovely mix of dogs and makes for a real nice hunting lurch

Posted Images

they were a good cross, we used to breed 3/4 grey 1/4 collie, with a 3/4 grey 1/4 deerhound, out of litter of 7 you might get 3 good enough for the Hare,

the rest was for rabbit dogs, maybe a bit more, and most had rough coats, good hard dogs, it was a common breed in the 60s a bitch pup out of that mating,

and later on about 4 years I put a grey/whippet, over the bitch, then I was on the money that bitch took hares, rabbit, deer, pheasant, all daylight, when you could walk land in peace, No mobil phones, No Internet, the dogs, done the talking in the field, were it all mattered, back in those days, pups were gifted or sold for a fiver, if you were lucky, the deerhound was bred from working stock, that coursed the red deer, on the Scottish moors, A friend of a friend, used to be employed as kennel lad to those hounds, (((( he said they were fed better than what he was, the greyhound was from coursing stock, which the Gentry had been breeding for since coursing began,(( in this country, ((((( I let a fortune slip through my hands, from that breeding, but none of us thought that the Lurcher breeding was going to turn into a lucritive money market, + I was too busy with my own work,

• Like 2

The best dog I ever owned was a 28tts brindle dog of this breeding. Never let me down, would do it all and always left the field smiling with a boot full of game. Was so switched on around cover an worked well with the bushing pack. Had a serious hatred towards foxes, loved running them and could smell them from a mile away. Despite his size he could easily scoop up rabbits, Could take hares in the day and loved the deer. The dog died following his quarry into a wood.

• Like 3

This was the sire to my pup deer/grey x collie/grey. He died not long after the mating, before the pups were born.

I only saw him run rabbits and hares in Ireland and he was very fast. Never really saw his stamina tested as he was a quick killer. Straight at them and game over.

I was told that he killed deer regular and did the job on fox. But again I never saw this.

His temperament was second to none. He was 26"-27"...

C2F49E3C-B955-49BA-80B1-FD35C5157A25-159

• Like 4

Anyone run them, and if they do/did, what do they reckon on them? Pre ban on deer, hare, rabbits or whatever?

Hi shaaark,....back in the 1970s/1980s,...everyone I walked out with kept dogs of this breeding,..well thereabouts...

As a type, it is a lovely mix of dogs and makes for a real nice hunting lurcher...

I've had some great times with the Deerhound/Sheepdog/Greyhound mix....

Real glad that I owned such beautiful and loyal canine pals..

All the best, Phil :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 8