Pups First Night On The Lamp...

I've never seen the bitch walk never mind run so I can't really comment on if the bitch being ready but

and there is always a but :laugh:

I would never give a pup I've had 20 runs on a first night out. bringing a pup on is all about progression in my book and 20 runs is paramount to chucking a kid in the deep end to learn to swim.

A lot has been said on this thread already and I found myself sat on my hands earlier but each to there own.

Gaz I'm glad your happy with her mate and I guess that's what really matters .

I can see what you are saying and if someone had said I was gonna give her 20 slips on her first night out I would say no chance. I was hoping to get 4 or 5.

But like Jim said earlier, if we had ended the night after the first 7 runs then it would of been a disappointing night. 5 caught, 2 missed, all of them dropped and re-caught and none of them retrieved. Aswell as hunting up. We certainly wouldn't of ended the night on such a high.

Runs 7-12 were a different dog. Retrieving to hand. Coming back after a missed run and holding the rabbits much better aswell as starting to look down the beam.

And the last few runs were better again.

I have got no doubt we ended the night on a massive high and she would of EASILY caught another 10 or more, no questions.

Had the last couple of runs been a struggle and she was knackered then I would agree we gave her far too much and should of packed in sooner but as it went I regret nothing at all. She was bouncing around like a spring chicken when we got home trying to play fight with the other dogs :laugh:

• Like 2

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gaz,..you are a young man with your entire life ahead of you,.so, a wee bit of advice...   Pay no heed, to folk who tell you what you should be doing....it is your life , not theirs... I've survi

Took the pup out for a look on the lamp tonight with my mate Jim (TJones on here).   She is just coming 11 months old and hasn't seen the lamp before. She's had a handful of daytime rabbits, mostly

Personaly,...I think it up to the man who owns the dog,.. to call the shots...   Looking back through my diaries of the 1970s/1980s ,..we were running scores of rabbits,..often with real young lurc

I've never seen the bitch walk never mind run so I can't really comment on if the bitch being ready but

I would never give a pup I've had 20 runs on a first night out. bringing a pup on is all about progression in my book and 20 runs is paramount to chucking a kid in the deep end to learn to swim.

A lot has been said on this thread already and I found myself sat on my hands earlier but each to there own.

But it may have been 20x 10-15 yard runs? Is that worse than 2-3 150 yard gruellers? There's so many ifs, buts, maybes, what's, etc, at the end of the day gas has made the executive decision to give his pup that opportunity, some will agree some won't but it's his decision in the end. :thumbs:

Your right mate but I just hope there not some youngsters out there thinking it's the norm . :thumbs:

• Like 1

There's giving a young dog 20 runs an giving a young dog 20 runs mate, I doubt gas or Jim for that matter would have took a youngster to close cropped grass with educated bunnys and expected the same results, I doubt they would have done it, but I know neither of them tbh. I have however entered youngsters in same way and done well with dogs doing well all there life's. Some places at some times of year are perfect for pups and to use that to a dogs advantage can only be a good thing.

I was once out lamping with a family member, we were out with sole intention of testing his dog with a big bag of bunnys and I was carrier. I had a young bitch at home who had never seen a lamp only been ferreting, anyways we meets a farmer and he asks us to phone his mate, it's well after midnight but he assures us it's okay to phone. A phone call and 25 mins later and we pull into a farm none of us ever seen. The bunnys were everywhere, clamped down an hopping daftly about. I knew straight away if I had pup it would be perfect start to lamp. I went home and got her, we went our seperate ways then and lamped on our own with my pup catching more than a bagful and being completely wed to bunnies on lamp.

Diffrent farm same night I'd a left bitch in kennel

I've got to agree I'm all In favour of tipping the the odds and choosing the right time and place to

start a pup :thumbs:

• Like 1

I can see what you are saying and if someone had said I was gonna give her 20 slips on her first night out I would say no chance. I was hoping to get 4 or 5.

But like Jim said earlier, if we had ended the night after the first 7 runs then it would of been a disappointing night. 5 caught, 2 missed, all of them dropped and re-caught and none of them retrieved. Aswell as hunting up. We certainly wouldn't of ended the night on such a high.

Runs 7-12 were a different dog. Retrieving to hand. Coming back after a missed run and holding the rabbits much better aswell as starting to look down the beam.

I have got no doubt we ended the night on a massive high and she would of EASILY caught another 10 or more, no questions.

Had the last couple of runs been a struggle and she was knackered then I would agree we gave her far too much and should of packed in sooner but as it went I regret nothing at all. She was bouncing around like a spring chicken when we got home trying to play fight with the other dogs :laugh:

I wasn't there mate so can't really give a true appraisal and as said it's your dog and your decisions .I just had to pose the question so that anyone new to the sport didn't see it as the done thing.

Out of interest gaz did you take the pup out with the older bitch on any outings at night first ?

I wasn't there mate so can't really give a true appraisal and as said it's your dog and your decisions .I just had to pose the question so that anyone new to the sport didn't see it as the done thing.

Out of interest gaz did you take the pup out with the older bitch on any outings at night first ?

Completely understand what you are saying.

No mate she had never seen darkness. Straight in at the deep end.

150yrd gruelers :icon_eek::icon_eek:

It was just to get it into context. :laugh:

I would say about 5 of the runs were "gruellers". Not to an adult dog maybe. But to a youngster. Up the field, lost in nettles for a second, down the field into a fence, out of the fence, back up the field etc. Really good to watch how she dealt with it :thumbs:

has i said ive a lot of time on me hands, this season hit mite be just what i need at this present time some thing to get me going again,,,,,,im up for hit iff you are gaz i will give you a season of me life and get your dog up to a good standard,,,,,,,,,, i will surplie the ground in winter iff the hunting chaps think this his the wrong way,, to go about, HIT,,,but you do bring your dogs out on the nite or the day,,,,,, i dont think you can get a better offer,,,,,than that,,,,,,,, im of to bed now last time was thursday, and getting a little older hit catchers up with you,,,,,,lol GAZ WAS IN BED FOR 10,/ 13 LOL THE YOUTH OF TODAY.. :laugh: THIS THREAD HAS TOOK IT OUT OF HIM,,,,

Edited by tjones3862
  • Like 4

has i said ive a lot of time on me hands, this season hit mite be just what i need at this present time some thing to get me going again,,,,,,im up for hit iff you are gaz i will give you a season of me life and get your dog up to a good standard,,,,,,,,,, i will surplie the ground in winter iff the hunting chaps think this his the wrong way,, to go about, HIT,,,but you do bring your dogs out on the nite or the day,,,,,, i dont think you can get a better offer,,,,,than that,,,,,,,, im of to bed now last time was thursday, and getting a little older hit catchers up with you,,,,,,lol GAZ WAS IN BED FOR 10,/ 13 LOL THE YOUTH OF TODAY.. :laugh: THIS THREAD HAS TOOK IT OUT OF HIM,,,,

Haha I'm still awake old'un! Lol.

You've got yourself a deal. You know me Jim, I will drive anywhere to put game in front of the dogs.

As long as you drive back if I'm tired :laugh:

Great offer that gaz im sure you no that well done tjones3862 oh and by the way a pooble a rare scotish dog lol

Jim's a good bloke no doubt. He's as keen as any young lad, watching him last night with my pup he was as excited as me. Lol.

I need to get myself one of them poobles. Are they good all rounders? ?

• Like 1

What a brilliant first night for the pup: I've always brought mine up bushing by day and they normally take to the lamp very well: a case of activating the brain while young so they soon cotton on to a different method of hunting by night. Well done that pup, and good on Jim for taking you both out :thumbs:

• Like 1