Being absaloutly useless with anything mechanical, just thought I'd ask your opinions on the older freelander... I've the opportunity to buy a freelander commercial "w" reg, just for taking the mutts out and stuff like that.

Are they as bad as I've been told?

All opinions greatfully received .

Cheers, matt

don't bother matt no good mate look for a defender 90 if ya get one though lock the f****r up good and proper or it will go

Hi Lab no but my journeys are short down to the young lads nursery and back twice a day then shopping in Dundee once a fortnight the freelander will drink the fuel quicker if you boot it more and don't keep the tyre pressure the same in all the wheels they are under powered for the size of motor

Well mate that also has me puzzled. Short stop/start journeys or town driving are where fuel consumption is at it's worse, and very rarely you will get what the manufacturers say you will in any car as their readings are measured in controlled inviroments over a certain distance with no wind resistance. :thumbs:

Back to the thought in question though......... They are shite!!!

• Like 1

I'm sorry but a freelander 1.8 petrol will under no circumstances deliver 60mpg. Especially on short stop start journeys. You must be clocking the mileage in kilometers .

The 1.8 engine wouldnt of even done 60 mpg when it was fitted into a car half the weight of a freelander, you must be working it out wrong

Had an 04 Freelander 1.8, nimble as a mountain goat, but an absolute f****n money pit, don't touch a K series engine, the head gaskets are made from toilet paper :laugh: And mine did 27mph on a run, downhill, and 17 ish round town. f****d it off, now have a small van instead, the dogs love it, and no slavver on the back seats :D