Still Not A Huge Difference

Well took the terrior out loads now as far as bushing no progress what so ever yet she still afraid of the cover and wines when I walk through or over it trying to intise her to follow she always runs around Tryna find a different way a path whilst cryin/ winging gunna take her out for a few hours today gunna try hit a rabbit out of bushes my self with a stick hoping it will pop out infront of her to chase n maybey enter cover for it lol she has chased a rabbit so that a plus :)

• Like 1

Any of the terriers I have had over the years would not enter cover unless something is at home. You have to start thinking, when working the dog work into the wind, that way if there is anything at home in the cover the dog will smell it, and that will give you a head start. How old is the dog? It sounds like a pup to me.

TC

• Like 1

Mate, you have been told this before. Its a young dog in a new home with no hunting background. On top of that you don't have an experienced dog for it to learn from and you are obviously putting it under pressure to hunt. Let it be, it needs to settle into the new home, build a bond with you and get used to being out in the sticks. It's probably hating the whole thing by now, you are taking it out time and again expecting it to hunt when it's struggling to even get through the cover and keeps getting left behind. If its panicing about getting stuck and left behind by its new owner its not going to be concentrating on scent or hunting.

Give the dog a chance, spend the Summer letting it settle and try again in September when its mature, settled and happy.

• Like 11

Tyla I am not rushing her at all I am letting her do her own thing the land I walk had cover that I walk over why would I rush her she still young I do listen to people and I'm not trying to show her or anything she's just out walking with the dogs I was just saying at the moment she still shown no interest indent expect it to happen over night is gunna take a long time

IMO your asking abit much from a nervie 7 month old pup that you've had for around a month ??

But what I'd do is get yourself a rabbit skin and play with the pup in the garden, once you build it's confidence up get some to hold it letting it watch where you hide it in the garden then give your command to fetch / seek the rabbit, when it gets the skin prase it even give it a treat

Then after it's built up abit of know how hide it without it looking and get it to find / seek, again when it finds the skin give it loads of prase.

Do this over the summer and hopefully it will build up more confidence to help better your chances come winter

Another thing depending on how nervie it is you could fcuk it up by not entering it properly .. Because when it hears a bunny squeal that could knock it back again, so plenty of squeaky toys and when it's playing and you want it's attention make a squeaky noice.

At least your trying , not all dogs are made for bushing if people where honest they would tell you good bushers are very hard to find! Seen a lot fail at it than I have seen make the grade, Even purpose bred dogs will fail, the best ones I have seen have always been early starters even entering at 4 or 5 months. I wouldn't kick yourself to much if the dog has little interest.

• Like 2

Fair enough mate, just go easy and I reckon she'll be fine.

BB, not all dogs make top notch bushers but most terrier types will be good enough to push rabbits out for your lurchers.

It sounds like she just needs to get some confidence up and that will come with time.

Well took the terrior out loads now as far as bushing no progress what so ever yet she still afraid of the cover and wines when I walk through or over it trying to intise her to follow she always runs around Tryna find a different way a path whilst cryin/ winging gunna take her out for a few hours today gunna try hit a rabbit out of bushes my self with a stick hoping it will pop out infront of her to chase n maybey enter cover for it lol she has chased a rabbit so that a plus :)

i have to hit the cover with a stick for my lurcher when hes marked something as i dont have a busher yet

Been there just like you when I was a younger. Thing is, plain and and simple you are wanting to see signs that your dog has potential.......nothing wrong with that, but it's obvious you are doubting your dogs ability..............because your dog won't follow you through rough cover.....sounds a clever little dog, why should it? Any dog with half a brain takes the easy less prickly route.....it has no relation to your dogs hunting instinct.

The penny will drop, from working parents are not I doubt there are many Jack Russell's that won't work rabbits if entered correctly......mines from none workers and by christ I'm glad she doesn't have any more drive than she has already!

1,Just take her on normal walks and practice recall......get used to live stock.....when great try step 2

2,sit down for ten minutes in an area where there's rabbits,....enjoy the view, let her have a sniff about and do what SHE wants to do

3, practice recall, repeat step 2

4, dog shows interest in rabbits/ scent/ works bit of cover, encourage with praise

5, hope to god you worked on step one enough.

Edited by wuyang
  • Like 5

1,Just take her on normal walks and practice recall......get used to live stock.....when great try step 2

2,sit down for ten minutes in an area where there's rabbits,....enjoy the view, let her have a sniff about and do what SHE wants to do

3, practice recall, repeat step 2

4, dog shows interest in rabbits/ scent/ works bit of cover, encourage with praise

5, hope to god you worked on step one enough.

recall is a biggg biggg must, I had a patt that I learnt the hard way on, he was as cloth eared to hell once he picked up a scent there was no recall at all ... he would work the thickest of cover and would get ripped to shreads before he'd give in. you couldn't plan on going out for a quick bush, it would be a good few hours :/