Still Not A Huge Difference

Right guys really appreciate all the advice and trust me when I say I am not rushing her what so ever I have no intention her recall is brill she's a good little listen her confidence has boosted so much is brilliant cudnt belive yesterday morning walking all the dogs my lurcher bitch hit a rabbit out infront of the terrior and she chased and enters the cover for it ? was brilliant I praised her right up she was smooching alot more on the scent so hoping from now will just keep improving still ain't gunna rush her or try make her go in cover just sit back let her do her own thing and poo a few more out for her :)

Don't forget that the first months of a dog's life are the most formative. If she had never been exposed to the sort of life you are now showing her, it will take a bit longer for her to 'click'. Working dog people generally take their young pups out in the fields as soon as they have had their vaccinations; not to work, but to accustom them to everything: different types of ground, the feel of different things under their feet. Pups learn about nettles, wire etc, different sights and sounds.

Also, as someone else has said, the nettles are vicious at this time of year: even my experienced dogs are getting stung to hell and hate it: they are a lot more cautious about pushing into cover than they are in the winter.

I'd be very pleased if I had a pup like yours and it was showing any interest at all, and if yours is not from working lines then she's doing very well indeed. Your pup is 7 months (?) so there's still a long way to go. Some people expect a dog to just dive in with no fear: a pup is not a predator at a young age. It feels more like a prey animal, full of fear for the unknown, so don't hurry things, and never get fed up or impatient with her. If the working instinct is there, it will come out with the right exposure, but just take longer than if you'd had the pup from the start of her life.

Get a rabbit skin on the end of a string and tug it around for the pup to chase: that will help her to realise what she's supposed to do, and build your bond at the same time. Don't forget to let her catch it from time to time.

• Like 1

As said by Tyla, I think your asking way to much of her, she must be threating something terrible when she gets left behind. To be honest I dont let mine go into thick cover until getting on to 12 months old. Imagine if she did go in and ran head on into a fox especially this time of year if they had young with them. Your pup could get smashed to bits, then you would never get her confidence up. I start all mine in the woods. I stick to the paths to start with and let the young dog have a good sniff about, they will often soon start darting in the light cover and low trees, ifva squirrel or two pop up this will help. If youbteach your pup to retrieve you can also send her to fetch an dummy or ehatever from light cover where she can see it and build up from there. I always use the word lost and off they go. Personally I think all the time the nettles are up your pissing in the wind with a young pup, and could put your time to better use building a bond cementing her recsll ect ect

Take the mutt out and about expect zilch and anymore than that will be a bonus,it takes time,effort,commitment and patience,then patience and then patience to see the reward of your labour.The process,with some dogs,is a long hard trawl of abject despair with a little crumb of comfort thrown in.The more the dog gets out,the more it will learn and show,yet, a dog under pressure to satisfy an impatient owner will underachieve,it will sense the owners mood and work accordingly.Take the dog out and allow for its lack of education and knowledge,then set no timetable of progress,then treat every foray as a little exercise with no end result in mind,then after a little while you will see progress without searching for it,then your on the right path grasshopper.

• Like 3

Hey again guys all your advise is brilliant but again I am not rushing her neither am I inpatient up my way now nettles are nasty so I don't walk through nothing like that stick to fields and paths of woods and someone said above about squirrels I went shooting few days back and took her with me for a walk I shot three squirrels one started running along the floor she spotted it caught it nailed it lol I don't expect nothing big of her or for her to work yet like people said she's 7 mounths she still loves playing [BANNED TEXT] I take her out with my saluki pup or staffy pup there's no parting them lol don't stop playin

• 4 months later...

firstly stop taking it so serioues, next few days just go for a country walk...start again...terriers don't need to touch scent or see game to enter cover,good terriers live in cover, hard to keep them out...but your dog sounds like it might need to view a rabbit or two.

spot a rabbit, take the dog over and watch its reaction, if its got a grain of sport in its body it will react...build on it, another dog will help but isn't vital...mainly take a chill pill. if the dog views 20 rabbits and still isn't keen that's the time to worry.

kev-medlock crew

• 2 weeks later...