You just don't see

You're constantly looking for things to complain about or ways to prove that you know more than others. If you don't like it don't read it. Or better still, put up a video of your catty shooting, demonstrating how it should be done.

I have no problem with BPR he shoots vermin with his catapult, and a very good shot he is. What I do have a problem with is people shooting game out of season. Mugging a Mallard in moult or popping off some half tame pheasant out of season is not really the pinnacle of ethics is it? To be honest it does not really require any skill as they are semi tame and you can walk right up to them, not to mention the fact that it is illegal.

BPR in his videos shoots pigeon and rabbits non of which have a season, he has worked hard to get where he is shooting a catapult wise, many many hours of practice and it has paid off for him. That said, if he went around shooting out of season game with his catapult I would say the same to him.

That is my position, if you don't like it. Tough!

TC

I take it that Harris in your picture has never took a pheasant before Oct 1 or after February 1? or anything not on the Quarry list?.........if so......it's probably the only falconry bird in the UK that hasn't...........but I'm sure your prove me wrong.

That particular bird did not

To be honest if i get the opportunity i will shoot anything, whether its in season or not. What i dont do though is post kills as taken out of season. Just adds fuel to the antis fire

There in that posts lays a major problem with peoples perception of field sports.

TC

Ah well :)

Another one who's ego is bigger than his brain. Who thinks that by blocking out their face no one will know who they are. Then admits to killing any animal if in season or not and thinks he is invisible. Unbelievable.

TC

It's the same silly c**ts complaining when there's nothing to shoot. Ah well.

Its not like catties eradicate the numbers is it? Odd pheasant for the pot or a pigeon for the hawk and ferrets. Hardly make them scarce does it?

There are so many species of truly wild animals / birds that can be taken with a catapult 100% legally why break the law and go for semi-tame / out of season birds. To be honest I think that post about shooting out of season birds will contribute to the demise of hunting with a catapult. When someone puts a photo of a magpie up that has been shot with a catapult that deserves some praise. When someone puts a photo of a mallard that has been mugged on a canal out of season then he deserves everything that is coming to him.

If you cannot see where I am coming from then sorry you do not deserve the term hunter.

Accip 74

That particular female would not fly pheasants. That said, she did take birds that were not on the quarry list, but as you should well know when you release a hawk anything in it,s path is quarry to the bird, and you have no control over it. Hell of a difference to shooting a sitting mallard, wouldn't you say?

TC

Sorry TC....had to go to bed last night..........

You have to take responsibility for the birds actions, after all, you are instigating the hunt, aren't you?

When I've been flying a hawk, unless a first year bird, I'd be flying from some time in September to end of February.........& I must say, pheasants are fair game during those few weeks before & after the season, even if I'm slipping a gos from the fist, obviously when flying a Harris out of the trees, anything can be on the menu....but....I except that.......& I assume you've had similar experiences? therefore I'd be unlikely to get too judgemental about a few lads taking the odd thing out of season with a catty.......

I do get your point about posting pics up of the duck though.......not the best move.......

& a 3lb Harris?? wow thats the biggest I've ever heard of........anywhere....

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Far be it from me to get in the middle of yous debate.........but regardless of the rights and wrongs thats some shooting well done that man very impressive.

That's kind of the beauty of the catty.   Can stop the car at the side of the road, bag a woody for the pot and be on your way. No one bats an eyelid.   That's the way it should stay.

Aye all good mate cheers, had baby at 10 past 1 this morn an both home now relaxing

Ocet,

Without being sarcastic that is impressive, you do not get a shot at those birds without having some skill, in stalking or decoying. Those photos are to be admired, unlike a moulting mallard taken off a canal. Yes you have to hit the bird in the right place to effect a kill, but hunting is about more than the kill, and as you have flown a Musket you will know what I am on about. The hardest flights are usually the best, really testing and when they pull it off the most satisfying. How many really good flights have you seen where the bird did not make the kill, but did it matter to you? And how many muggings have you seen that left you disappointed?

Think about it.

TC

I'll concede that. I won't fly from the car because of the poor quality flights that you get and the fact that it's just killing. Maybe you could to build a birds confidence but it's not for me. I'd much rather stalk up on something and then get a slip from the glove and watch that flight. You're quite right, if the quarry gets away after flying well I'd always be pleased.

I use a catapult to give the quarry more of a chance than with a gun. You have to realistically get within 15 yards of your target to achieve a kill. I know I often post about longer kills but I've been at this catapult lark a very long time and have had a lot of practice. I always try for a headshot. It makes it that little bit harder and results in less woundings. I don't necessarily disagree with you, I just disagree with the way the sermon is preached.

A mate of mine flies Merlins at skylarks over a GWP it does not happen often but when you get a ringing flight it is a sight to behold, that contest between the Merlin and the Lark as to who can get the highest before breaking, is pure nature. It is always nice if you can get a kill for the bird, but as you know not every flight is quality and the hawk does get a bit of luck sometimes. You say about your Blackbird licence I know some exceed their licence limit but if you slip a musket at a woodcock and a blackie gets in the way how do you stop it taking the blackbird? Simple answer is you can't. However, that is totally different to purposely taking a shot at an out of season semi tame bird.

TC

I've never had the privilege of seeing a Merlin flown at anything.

If I slipped my Musket at anything, he'd of found a Blackbird!! I did my utmost to get him on to other stuff but he wasn't having any of it. I had friends though who had birds that had decided that they'd only take small songbirds so they were unflyable.

That's the sort of weight I'd expect of a fat bird during the moult. That may explain her poor performance and why she never flew pheasants. The problem with some HH is that they'll still be tame at really high weights and may still follow on. They just won't be sharp or have much of a desire to chase.

• Like 1

BPR doesn't always cruise around in his car poaching pigeons from lamppost's

1....Great shooting bud2....canny believe you've called yourself "Sharpshooter"......maybe change the cammo jacket for a cape and a mask next time....hahahaha ya fud....
I believe it's the name of the monthly competition he enters rather than a user name, fud piece would've been more suited.......
fud chopper.......

That's the sort of weight I'd expect of a fat bird during the moult. That may explain her poor performance and why she never flew pheasants. The problem with some HH is that they'll still be tame at really high weights and may still follow on. They just won't be sharp or have much of a desire to chase.

It would make a good discussion in the falconry section.......3lb Harris in Yarak??? ;-)

• Like 1

once had the pleasure of watching a pair of merlins fly skylarks very exciting stuff,vanishing upwards then falling from the clouds only to open up a few feet off the ground i was only a kid and it was magical, best pheasant bird i ever owned was a little male harris :yes:

I'd love to have a crack at a merlin..........but the general consensus seems to be that they start giving up on the flight after September/October........cracking birds though :-)

1BC5B209-4573-455F-A63D-3D66B2AB4584_zps

Ocset does that catty have any particular name ? tried a few now and just cant get to grips with them but never seen one like that before.

Its a dankung toucan, im after one myself to put a yew handle on it.

Edited by youcanthide...BANG

Dankung toucan....

Tbh gnasher.... Yes,some catapults suit some people....but it ain't the catty what makes you accurate...

a gamekeeper chunky milbro is a perfect catapult to start with....

You need to stick to one frame... And shoot and shoot it... And don't think that it's the frame what's not working.... It's you... Or something about your shooting...

It could be something very simple...

And use steel ammo... Stones are inconsistent... Some people can shoot Em.... Some

Can't....

• Like 1

Dankung toucan....

Tbh gnasher.... Yes,some catapults suit some people....but it ain't the catty what makes you accurate...

You need to stick to one frame... And shoot and shoot it... And don't think that it's the frame what's not working.... It's you... Or something about your shooting...

And use steel ammo... Stones are inconsistent... Some people can shoot Em.... Some

Can't....

Ive still got a chunky milbro for sale :whistling:

Ocset does that catty have any particular name ? tried a few now and just cant get to grips with them but never seen one like that before.

As others have said its a Toucan. I usually shoot naturals that I've made. I've got an apple fork that I've shot for years with TBG.

I decided to shoot these skinny Chinese tubes for at least a year to give them a proper try. The years more or less up but I'm really enjoying them and still making kills out to the same distance I did with TBG. To be honest, I think I'm more accurate with these tubes.

I bought this frame so that I got the whole Oriental catapult experience. (Sometimes I even squint my eyes and walk on tiptoes while I'm shooting it!! ?)

• Like 1

As others have said its a Toucan. I usually shoot naturals that I've made. I've got an apple fork that I've shot for years with TBG.

I decided to shoot these skinny Chinese tubes for at least a year to give them a proper try. The years more or less up but I'm really enjoying them and still making kills out to the same distance I did with TBG. To be honest, I think I'm more accurate with these tubes.

I bought this frame so that I got the whole Oriental catapult experience. (Sometimes I even squint my eyes and walk on tiptoes while I'm shooting it!! )

Proper make me laugh some of your comments mate, i bet i get some right funny looks off other folk lol.

Dankung toucan....

Can't....

oh no i accept a good workman dont blame his tools im absolutely useless at the moment just wondered if a change of type might help a little........must admit ive been practising with stones maybe thats not a good idea......cheers.