When Stock Breaking Pays Off!!!!

sometimes the nature reserves only want to maintain a certain head of sheep on their land to keep the grass at a manageable level, so they run ewes only. they usually go for a traditional/native hardy breed that can cope well outside all year.

that makes perfect sense mate, nice 1............. :thumbs:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"im convinced they all only chased them as there black"   You mean to say your dogs are racist?

Jackers!

Don't know what breed they are but they sure are pretty !!

Could it be the ferals only eat the grass/foliage like the deer so smell more natural where as the other field sheep eat manufactured fodder supplements and with chemicals like wormer etc give off the standard sheep smell.?

Or am I being too sensible for this early in the morning lol

I have no idea professor!!!!

• Like 1

Before the ban, if you had run white hares during the season, your heart was in your mouth during lambing. Nothing worse than seeing a lamb running through heather, you can see it from your added height but the dog can only see its white back. Had a few arse tightening moments and no amount of shouting sheep stops them until they get a clear view.

Yep, i've had it a lot matey. We see sheep here pretty much every day, and the dogs are around them all of the time, both in the field, and in barns etc.

However, some sheep, just don't look like, act or smell like sheep.

We get a lot of hill sheep, which are semi wild, and often sheep in the forestry blocks which are pretty much feral, the dogs put them up, and they jump out of the cover in ones or twos and go bouncing off through the bracken and gorse, often barely sighted by the dogs. And they are dark coloured. It sets the dogs off and quite often they give a bit of a chase, until they can see what it is, or until you shout 'SHEEP'. . . . which is a command we have to teach them lol.

I've twice had young dogs make contact and then realise what it is and spit it out looking horrified!

Interestingly, they must smell different as well, because when the hound was younger and I had started flushing a lot of deer with her, although she was broken to sheep visually, and when hunting lowland, filtered out their scent, when in the hills, she would often hunt off on a line baying, only to push a sheep out of cover and then look very confused! After a little while she figured it out and can now tell the difference it seems.

yeah its a kunt mate thats for sure!!!! i can work/walk these three through sheep all day long with no worries but imagine if i was after permission today and that happened!!!!!

do anyone know what sheep they are at all??? just wondered why theres no lambs in the herd as the fields of white sheep are full of lambs here.......first time ive ever heard of whites out breeding blacks......... :D

look like they might be soay sheep? they are usually brown, smaller than your norm and act like mini deer!

Yep, i've had it a lot matey. We see sheep here pretty much every day, and the dogs are around them all of the time, both in the field, and in barns etc.

However, some sheep, just don't look like, act or smell like sheep.

We get a lot of hill sheep, which are semi wild, and often sheep in the forestry blocks which are pretty much feral, the dogs put them up, and they jump out of the cover in ones or twos and go bouncing off through the bracken and gorse, often barely sighted by the dogs. And they are dark coloured. It sets the dogs off and quite often they give a bit of a chase, until they can see what it is, or until you shout 'SHEEP'. . . . which is a command we have to teach them lol.

I've twice had young dogs make contact and then realise what it is and spit it out looking horrified!

Interestingly, they must smell different as well, because when the hound was younger and I had started flushing a lot of deer with her, although she was broken to sheep visually, and when hunting lowland, filtered out their scent, when in the hills, she would often hunt off on a line baying, only to push a sheep out of cover and then look very confused! After a little while she figured it out and can now tell the difference it seems.

yeah its a kunt mate thats for sure!!!! i can work/walk these three through sheep all day long with no worries but imagine if i was after permission today and that happened!!!!!

do anyone know what sheep they are at all??? just wondered why theres no lambs in the herd as the fields of white sheep are full of lambs here.......first time ive ever heard of whites out breeding blacks......... :D

look like they might be soay sheep? they are usually brown, smaller than your norm and act like mini deer!

i was thinking soay mate but these where a fair bit bigger!!! had a quick google and they look like these hebrideans more....... :thumbs:

http://www.ukagriculture.com/livestock/images/Hebridean.JPG

• Like 1