My New Jack Russel Help Anyone

Hey all I just got myself a jack russel now she was a house dog for 6 mounths butt now I'm trying to.show her the way of hunting I'm pritty new to terrior work I work lurchers but fancied starting abit of bushing and ferreting

So lads she is abit nervous around the rough ground and bushed she a pritty timid dog does come back on recall but when.it comes to forestry and rough ground brambles she's not to fussy she gets scared I can't say she from a working background as I said the owners who had her kept her as a house pet any pointers or tips wud be great she 6 mounths old she to young to start? Any help would be brilliant even if it's through text on.......thank everyone and happy hunting chad

Chad, I've approved the post but removed your number from it.

As a newbie putting up you number 'may' result in many unwanted calls. Use PM (private message) if you want to talk to someone direct.

Hi chad try getting a dead rabbit and gee her up with it even let her have a chomp on it also keep taking her out but try to take her out on her own and not with lurchers because young dogs tend to follow the older ones or even better if you know any one with a bushing dog ask if you can tag along. She may be timid now but keep getting her out and you should see a different dog emerge good luck and atb daywalker. ps try and find somewhere where their are sum mixy rabbits they can do wonders for bringing a dog on.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the comments and admin ok no problem I understand I will keep taking her out I have been out with a terrior a few times she seems not to wanna no when they go through the cover she likes staying by me pritty nervous about going far from me

Did you say she's 6 months....,, when I got my first jack russelI pup I was only young and expected too much too soon...tending to think the fault was with the pup, which it wasn't.....I used to push it too forcefully in the right direction of the rabbits, getting pissed off with the young dog.....don't make the mistake I did. Chill out and take your time walk around hedgerows where you know there's rabbits, in time the penny will drop. Give her plenty of fuss....no shouting through been frustrated that she's not yet doing what you expect her to be doing. If she is just 6 months then the making of the dog lies with you. From working strains are not a jack russell will work rabbits all day long if entered right. Build her confidence....play a gentle game ...tug of war etc. My best bushing dog I've owned my 11 year old jack russell from non working lines.

Just be careful and try to discourage her from going down the holes if she shows any inclination to go down further than a good head and sniff.

• Like 1

Did you say she's 6 months....,, when I got my first jack russelI pup I was only young and expected too much too soon...tending to think the fault was with the pup, which it wasn't.....I used to push it too forcefully in the right direction of the rabbits, getting pissed off with the young dog.....don't make the mistake I did. Chill out and take your time walk around hedgerows where you know there's rabbits, in time the penny will drop. Give her plenty of fuss....no shouting through been frustrated that she's not yet doing what you expect her to be doing. If she is just 6 months then the making of the dog lies with you. From working strains are not a jack russell will work rabbits all day long if entered right. Build her confidence....play a gentle game ...tug of war etc. My best bushing dog I've owned my 11 year old jack russell from non working lines.

Just be careful and try to discourage her from going down the holes if she shows any inclination to go down further than a good head and sniff.

thankyou yes I'm in no rush been walking around hedges but like I said she seems pritty nervous of them she scared to walk around and past rough ground any tips thabks chad

thankyou yes I'm in no rush been walking around hedges but like I said she seems pritty nervous of them she scared to walk around and past rough ground any tips thabks chad

How old is she and how long you owned her for?

Break her to ferrets is your number 1 job (if you want her ferreting) then just keeper taking her to out and about.... if she is a baby in cover, try throwin some raw meet into long grass..... begin with a couple of feet away then when she gets the idea build up distance..... take it steady and often and she'll be flying by next season....... hopefully!!

I would hazard a guess that the pup has lots of potential. Your worrying when there's no need to. Slow down, let it be a pup. You've only owned it a week and worrying that it's not showing potential. Just let experience new things slowly......don't get frustrated. Seriously just let it be a pup. When you've built yours dogs confidence up do you know anybody else who bushes that you could take your dog with?