Working Irish Greyhound - Going Strong

nice looking animal, i am intrigued as i do not hear of many people working pure greys. from your experience what are the advantages and disadvantages? have you bred and with what? and most importantly how does he go on the big rabbits? thanks for sharing the pics

nice looking animal, i am intrigued as i do not hear of many people working pure greys. from your experience what are the advantages and disadvantages? have you bred and with what? and most importantly how does he go on the big rabbits? thanks for sharing the pics

I think you'll find that working greyhounds are very common and if they're from Ireland then they're Irish working greyhounds.

Mind you, those photos only show a greyhound.

• Like 1

I used to have a greyhound bitch out of an English coursing Barbican Cup winner by an Irish track dog. She had real fire in her belly once in the field but was as soft as shite around the house. Put some stuff in the bag, that's for sure. Unfortunately she was just too fast for her own good on the ground I run, which is quite rough in places. She had some nasty injuries, worst being a snapped achilles tendon. After she died I vowed that, much as I looved her, I wouldn't get another pure greyhound unless I moved to somewhere the terrain was a lot easier. Golf courses and bowling greens are about right ;)

Hey J Darcy.......ya know what........I am struggling with that. Part of me wants to keep the Airedales all full bred. But another part of me would love to have a pup for life that is an Airedale lurcher. I have seen a cross before from a friend but the fact I have a 5 generation history from my own sire and I'm working several bitches from pups it would mean alot to me.

I am not trying to re-invent a lurcher or find a new cross, but just get pups from two of my own dogs which I think alot off and have a few pups for those who want to work that type of lurcher in the future.

Hey J Darcy.......ya know what........I am struggling with that. Part of me wants to keep the Airedales all full bred. But another part of me would love to have a pup for life that is an Airedale lurcher. I have seen a cross before from a friend but the fact I have a 5 generation history from my own sire and I'm working several bitches from pups it would mean alot to me.

I am not trying to re-invent a lurcher or find a new cross, but just get pups from two of my own dogs which I think alot off and have a few pups for those who want to work that type of lurcher in the future.

Put a decent bull or wheaton across yer airdale.