Irish White Tail Eagle

Huge amount get dumped after commercial game shoots

I hear that banded about by buzzard loving anti game shooters all the time. Any proof of that or just what your mate who did a bit of keepering on the big estate told you?

Why on earth would a commercial game shoot effectively burn their profits by dumping saleable game produce? When with the demand for game and being a relatively large scale and regular producer of game they could sell to a dealer?

Simply...... prove it....

On a shoot that I used to go beating on at the end of the day they used to say take what birds you want to anyone there.Then the JCB would dig a hole and bury the lot and that was twice a week.I asked the keeper why as its such a waste and he said that the gamedealer said that they wouldn't collect them as, it wouldn't cover their fuel costs.
You need photos mate, in the 10 years since born hunter was 12, he hasn't seen it.

I'm afraid that that isn't possible as it was several years ago now....! But I can assure you that I saw this happen on a regular basis.As you well know the money is earned on a shoot when the guns pay for the days shooting the dead birds are normally an unwanted biproduct having already earned their money.
Twice a week with a JCB? That's some birds then. Is this estate miles from anywhere?

Look in know way would I condone this...as bad as catching a hare, rabbit, pigeon or deer and leaving it to rot in my book.

I'm 100% certain that all things were done possible before this outcome took place. Did you take your fair share away....did other guns, pickers up and beaters take there fair share?

The last shoot I rented and had commercial days I never gave one bird to the game dealer. One reason was there wasn't any point in driving to the nearest game dealer for the pittance they pay for birds.

So I gave all birds away and any that was left I got plucked and froze to either eat or get a few bob for.

The JCB was always in the yard.I cant remember the numbers off hand but there were a lot of birds left over.I always took what I could use or give away.And no this shoot wasn't miles out of the way.It was a disgusting waste of quality game.There are a lot of lads that I know that will kill rabbits,game,fish etc but aren't interested in using what they kill or getting their hands dirty by preparing it.

Well that's a bit strange why a game dealer wouldn't take 'alot' of birds when you were not miles out the way.

I think we all know folk who want the pheasant,pigeon, rabbit, venison or fish to eat but don't want to do the dirty work. Maybe it's how you have been brought up...always a deer hanging up around here when I was young and game in the sink. Part and parcel of it....?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As keepering and gamerearing is very rare in Ireland IMO there are only 2 type of people who would do such a thing. 1. A farmer who's either desperate or thinks he'll kill the eagle before it does an

I think you will find, in Ireland at least, most of these types of bop killings come from farmers not gamekeepers. It has been well proven sea eagles take lambs, there is a scheme in Scotland for co

So you have never shot one then,,,,, I thought I was the bollox with a gun till I went on beaters day,,,, I'm fecking useless ,,, there hard to hit mate I can tell thee,, especially them fecking partr

Posted Images

A hobby keeper I worked along side for years, used to bring a lot into work to give away, he just couldn't get rid of them......

After all there not the best of game to eat, people can't be arsed with all the prep......only to eat dry meat

Edited by Accip74

Well there you have it gamekeepers of Britain, to combat losses you MUST buy in more poults....completely bypassing the fact that more poults = more food = more BOP........................................

Lol.

As much as I read these posts I don't know why...they always get me pissed off.

If there's one thing I hate is folk basically calling for harsher penalties on BOP kills when really it makes no difference to there lives one bit.

Let's take Baw....completely on the wind up but he has a natural dislike for keepers and pheasants.

So what id like to see happen is for every keeper in Britain to let all BOPs live...let them reproduce like f**k. Let them take every rabbit, hare, pigeon, duck, garden bird they can.....if it then starts to be a problem for your 'sport' and you want something done about them I'll quite happily stand up and tell you all to get tae f**k!!!!.... Lol

So you'd like to see every keeper in Britain let all BOP's live and reproduce? So are you implying at the moment they dont let them live?

And what's your motive for wanting me to answer that question??

Any Mods think that's a funny question on a hunting site??

You want to read before you post ,not shoot your self in the foot!I only quoted what YOU wrote! I dont give a flying f**k about bop ,as youve pointed out they dont impact on my livelyhood,cost me money ,i was just enjoying the debate and notice you could have worded your statement a bit better!

Well there you have it gamekeepers of Britain, to combat losses you MUST buy in more poults....completely bypassing the fact that more poults = more food = more BOP........................................

Lol.

If there's one thing I hate is folk basically calling for harsher penalties on BOP kills when really it makes no difference to there lives one bit.

Let's take Baw....completely on the wind up but he has a natural dislike for keepers and pheasants.

So what id like to see happen is for every keeper in Britain to let all BOPs live...let them reproduce like f**k. Let them take every rabbit, hare, pigeon, duck, garden bird they can.....if it then starts to be a problem for your 'sport' and you want something done about them I'll quite happily stand up and tell you all to get tae f**k!!!!.... Lol

:laugh: ohhhh the irony. I think you'll find when my sport was under real threat by the government most shooters DID tell us to get to f**k. Now you guys are bleating on about a BOP taking a few pheasants that managed to avoid getting run over for a day. Every single business has to include loss into there business plan. No matter if your a manufacturer, retailer, farmer or what ever, you will never get 100% production. Whether its down to breakages, faults, theft, vandals, whatever, you need to make allowances for it. You might be on a fencing job that's going to take a couple of days. Vandals might wreck it during the night. If you haven't got the savvy to cover if this happens then you'll go down the swanny. It's what being in business is all about. If your putting pet birds into the wild you have to expect loss and make provisions to cover the loss. You can't kill everything that eats pheasants no matter how much you'd like to.

• Like 1

Lol.

So you'd like to see every keeper in Britain let all BOP's live and reproduce? So are you implying at the moment they dont let them live?

You want to read before you post ,not shoot your self in the foot!I only quoted what YOU wrote! I dont give a flying f**k about bop ,as youve pointed out they dont impact on my livelyhood,cost me money ,i was just enjoying the debate and notice you could have worded your statement a bit better!

Well documented that it happens....or if you were concerned you could have sent me a pm.

I hear that banded about by buzzard loving anti game shooters all the time. Any proof of that or just what your mate who did a bit of keepering on the big estate told you?

Why on earth would a commercial game shoot effectively burn their profits by dumping saleable game produce? When with the demand for game and being a relatively large scale and regular producer of game they could sell to a dealer?

On a shoot that I used to go beating on at the end of the day they used to say take what birds you want to anyone there.Then the JCB would dig a hole and bury the lot and that was twice a week.I asked the keeper why as its such a waste and he said that the gamedealer said that they wouldn't collect them as, it wouldn't cover their fuel costs.
You need photos mate, in the 10 years since born hunter was 12, he hasn't seen it.

I'm afraid that that isn't possible as it was several years ago now....! But I can assure you that I saw this happen on a regular basis.As you well know the money is earned on a shoot when the guns pay for the days shooting the dead birds are normally an unwanted biproduct having already earned their money.
Twice a week with a JCB? That's some birds then. Is this estate miles from anywhere?

Look in know way would I condone this...as bad as catching a hare, rabbit, pigeon or deer and leaving it to rot in my book.

I'm 100% certain that all things were done possible before this outcome took place. Did you take your fair share away....did other guns, pickers up and beaters take there fair share?

The last shoot I rented and had commercial days I never gave one bird to the game dealer. One reason was there wasn't any point in driving to the nearest game dealer for the pittance they pay for birds.

So I gave all birds away and any that was left I got plucked and froze to either eat or get a few bob for.

The JCB was always in the yard.I cant remember the numbers off hand but there were a lot of birds left over.I always took what I could use or give away.And no this shoot wasn't miles out of the way.It was a disgusting waste of quality game.There are a lot of lads that I know that will kill rabbits,game,fish etc but aren't interested in using what they kill or getting their hands dirty by preparing it.

Well that's a bit strange why a game dealer wouldn't take 'alot' of birds when you were not miles out the way.

I think we all know folk who want the pheasant,pigeon, rabbit, venison or fish to eat but don't want to do the dirty work. Maybe it's how you have been brought up...always a deer hanging up around here when I was young and game in the sink. Part and parcel of it....

As I said earlier he had phoned the game dealers and was told that it wasn't worth their while to come and collect them.I agree I think that its all in the upbringing regarding peoples attitude to the end product.We were always taught as kids to skin and use what you catch or don't bother to kill it.Surely thats the most satisfying part of it all to eat the spoils of the day...!

Lol.

I don't :laugh:

I think the fundamental problem is tarring all BOP with the same brush. Its obvious that in some areas buzzards need to be culled, it just makes sense. That said, killing BOP in other areas should be heavily punished.

I know of pigeon men who have destroyed sparrowhawks nests and i can sort of agree with it as they are pretty common here but i also know of keepers who put poisoned squirrel carcasses out to indiscriminatley kill anything predatory, a real poor practise imo.

If i had my way, which i never will, i would issue licences for culling buzzards, sparrowhaks and other common BOP that are causing problems and come down like a ton of bricks on anyone else. Jus sayin.

Lol.

:laugh: ohhhh the irony. I think you'll find when my sport was under real threat by the government most shooters DID tell us to get to f**k. Now you guys are bleating on about a BOP taking a few pheasants that managed to avoid getting run over for a day. Every single business has to include loss into there business plan. No matter if your a manufacturer, retailer, farmer or what ever, you will never get 100% production. Whether its down to breakages, faults, theft, vandals, whatever, you need to make allowances for it. You might be on a fencing job that's going to take a couple of days. Vandals might wreck it during the night. If you haven't got the savvy to cover if this happens then you'll go down the swanny. It's what being in business is all about. If your putting pet birds into the wild you have to expect loss and make provisions to cover the loss. You can't kill everything that eats pheasants no matter how much you'd like to.

Thanks for the business lesson.

So if foxes, stoats, weasels, crows and anything else that can be harmful to a successful shooting season can be controlled( there's that word again) why does having a hook beak grant you immunity??

Oh and thanks again for showing the real reason you dislike the keepering world...hahaha

I'd agree with that. I know guys who fish for mackerel, trout, salmon and don't eat them. I was amazed when I read on this very site in the cooking bit, some guy saying he was going to cook a rabbit, he'd never tried it.

I'm not against the controlled culling of buzzards,

but say for example...in area where you have an abundance of buzzards, but one nesting pair of goshawks........now to me the goshawks are likely to be doing more damage to pheasant poults than the buzzards, so do you kill the goshawks?

I think a licence could work, but not for keepers, it would be open to abuse.......but an independent pest controller, that could work...maybe

Edited by Accip74

Lol.

So if foxes, stoats, weasels, crows and anything else that can be harmful to a successful shooting season can be controlled( there's that word again) why does having a hook beak grant you immunity??

Oh and thanks again for showing the real reason you dislike the keepering world...hahaha

I can't see how a BOP can be as destructive as a weasle, fox, etc. besides, they need controlled because it effects the nations food source not some fat lard ass guys day of fun :)

Lol.

I can't see how a BOP can be as destructive as a weasle, fox, etc. besides, they need controlled because it effects the nations food source not some fat lard ass guys day of fun :)

Exactly you can't see it.....so shush!!!!...?

• Like 2