Can Anyone Help With Ferreting And Snaring

thanks for the advise im getting loads of good info from all of you's ill probably keep posting over the summer so i get as much as possible for the start of next season im also hoping someone near me could show me the ropes next season thanks again

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bigger than this...

If you like reading, get your hands on the book Ferreting An Essential Guide, by Simon Whitehead its up to date, and will answer all your questions, on handling, feeding, hunting, breeding etc well pu

Personal Opinion I don't agree with snares.   OldhamLad out

Posted Images

I've been ferreting all my life and still prefer to work hobs, they take there time and stick with a rabbit longer. A gill can be put off by a kick off of large buck rabbit. People say they pull the nets down but mine are quite slender so never have that problem.

I went out with a friend recently he threw down 5 gills and they bolted 3 rabbits, I entered two Hobbs from either end and they bolted another 5. They go deeper than gills in my opinion. Or he just had shit ferrets lol

• Like 2

I've been ferreting all my life and still prefer to work hobs, they take there time and stick with a rabbit longer. A gill can be put off by a kick off of large buck rabbit. People say they pull the nets down but mine are quite slender so never have that problem.

I went out with a friend recently he threw down 5 gills and they bolted 3 rabbits, I entered two Hobbs from either end and they bolted another 5. They go deeper than gills in my opinion. Or he just had shit ferrets lol

Yeah i agree -Mole Man if iam ever in doubt in goes my boy / boys . Slower yes but more thorough for sure ,strong as an ox and although i still work jills, most of the time if the warren size allows il slip in a hobb or 2 to mop up. I love my girls for sure but if i ever had to choose between jills and hobbs ,then hobbs would win hands down for me :yes:

• Like 1

thanks for the comment but would it be best to have hob and a gill ?

Hi mate i feed my lot pigeons regular as i have a steady supply, i shoot alot of ferals for local people out of barns etc.My lot have them whole and love em i do rough pluck them though as otherwise cage gets trashed to quickly!

The only reason i can think of as regards best to have hobb & jill is if your ever thinking about breeding otherwise there is no reason whats so ever.I know people that have only jills and i know people who only have hobbs.

I would suggest that you buy a pile of book's and use them and Google to find out as much information as possible during the summer before you even think about acquiring a ferret

already got a hob i know i rushed into it and well im only human ill learn by mistakes i read the post on here and you put that you feeed yours magpies and crows !! thats why i asked just to be sure so i am doing my research yes bit too lae but ill get there soon

Fur and feather good alongside complete mix. If you're a young fella, carrying a hob or a gill will make no odds. But carrying the larger catch back after using the hob will make a difference lol. I use hobs together depending on the size of the bury, they're more interested in rabbits than scrapping.

I do like gills but like van man said, if in doubt.

cheers nick i was thinking getting a catapult for pigeon everytime im feeding him he looks like hes starving so was thinking he aint getting enough nutrients in his diet ? yeah im 26 so carrying a few rabbits shouldnt be difficult lf thanks for your comments

@ the one, you say google things and youtube things, why do you think i joined this forum ? theres that much crap on google and false information thats why ive been asking on here from people who actually have ferrets and can giv me proper straight answers which i have been getting everyone learns in there own why !!

Ruggers I was looking at getting a catapault; too; don't know if I'll be able to get my marksmanship skills to transfer over..anyway, but any pigeon/rabbit I catch/shoot ends up on the table in any event; the ferrets don't get a look in; are you not interested in feeding yourself with your skill..

Ruggers; ferrets have a really fast metabolism; so it may just be that you're not 'used' to ferrets and how they are....

Post a pic of your ferret and I'm sure everyone will say he looks healthy; but get him company, the cost and effort of looking after 2 is minimally more than 1