Can Anyone Help With Ferreting And Snaring

hi i used to go out lamping with my mates when i was a teenager they had done it all their lifes i moved away from the area and lost touch with them ive been reading about snaring and ferreting and i dont know what im doing wrong but im never catching ive read that with snaring to put the noose low to the ground and to size of my fist then ive read to have them 9 1/2 inches off the ground and the noose 7 1/2 iches im abit confused ive tried different ways and still not catching and with ferreting ive read to have a hob but then also ive read gills are better for ferreting ive got a poley hob so i dont know if ive got the wrong ferret for starters then when ive put him down a hole he just comes back out and tangles my nets am i doing thigs wrong? could somebody please help ive been trying for a couple of months now and not catched a thing i dont want to give up so easy im still going out nearly every morning with the ferret and every other aftenoon just before dusk with the snares i check them the next morning but nothing has moved them or triggered them off i use pegsnare, spring snares and fence snares thanks for reading and id apprciate all comments

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bigger than this...

If you like reading, get your hands on the book Ferreting An Essential Guide, by Simon Whitehead its up to date, and will answer all your questions, on handling, feeding, hunting, breeding etc well pu

Personal Opinion I don't agree with snares.   OldhamLad out

Posted Images

Mate you've posted a lot all over the place can I suggest you are trying to run before you can walk. Focus on one thing at a time and branch out.

If you don't have a marking dog; do you know what to look for in a warren for 'tips' it might be occupied?

As for snares are you handling the fook out the snare and placing it at the wrong point in the rabbits gate on the rabbits path... Are you even setting them on a rabbit run?

I don't know anything about long nets and hunting with running dogs so can't help you with long nets or the dog stuff.

But tbh I think you either need to get a book (shameless plug for the ones I have for sale) or find someone to show you the ropes....

You don't say how old the ferret is? If it's young or never been worked it may take a while to get into the swing of it.... Even my crap hob still bolts 1 or 2 if they are home...

• Like 1

not being funny, but you 100% sure theres rabbits home? if you see them entering and then drop in your ferret, it could be that he's not going deep enough. but usually the scent of a rabbit will get them straight in. I can tell by the way my ferret reacts if theres rabbits home or not.

try checking fields at night with lamp or good torch, it will tell you where exactly the coneys are.

the seasons at and end though.

nothing wrong with a hob mate :thumbs: their steady and reliable. though get him some company, ferrets should be in company.

don't give up, keep at er.

• Like 1

thanks for all your comments and yeah i probably am rushing into things nick3439 my hob is 8 months so still a kit really im just trying to get the right info you say get a book ive been readng peoples experiences online but there are so many different oppions so now ive been able to ask for help iv posted few to get as much info as possible and i do apreciate your comment but im placing snares in between beats and ive seen the rabbits go through the fence where i placed the snare and with ferreting the tips iv leant are poo outside leaves and straw and stuff pulled in dig marks but still nothing norseman thanks for your advise ill go out one night this weekend if im not too late, when is the season over what month i got told every month with a R in it is that just bs ? and how to i keep my hob active in the summer and get him ready for next season cheers and sorry if ive rushed into things i just dont know anyone who hunts

The R in a month is just a rule of thumb; as you have probably seen we've not had a cold winter it's just been an eternal autumn and a wet one; consequently; Jill's are coming into season early and rabbits are breeding early too...

You never said about the snares if you handle the snare too much it's covered in your scent and less likely to be successfull; some say wafting it over woodsmoke does the job but I don't know that much about snaring

In terms of your hob; he's quite young; I have just got back into ferreting after a 10 year gap so both my ferrets are young and inexperienced. The first few times; nothing, then when they bolted the first rabbit they slotted right in; they are still not great but if I put them down an active warren I will get them to bolt at least a few out into nets (enough for me) and they are getting better.

I'm not getting young about but milky rabbits so I expect that the next time I go out will be the last.

Then for the spring summer I'm going to move them into a shed (yet to buy) which is going to become a ferret court. And copy some of BPR's ideas about tube assault courses to keep them fit...

If it helps I used to hunt with air rifles/shotguns when I was a kid and when I got ferrets the best my dad could tell me about ferrets was "Albino's look ugly and Jill ferrets are a load of drama with vets" so I got two hobs; a bunch of horrific Bisley nets and worked it out as I went.

I worked them till they died for about 8 years then had a big break and just got a new pair in October this year; and from this site I've learned loads. A lot of the chaps here ferret for pest control as a business all year round and in massive numbers that I just don't have round my way; so don't necessarily compare there successes to your failings.

As others have said, just keep at it...

• Like 2

yeah your right im not decenting the snares i make them how ive seen on youtube and other sutes but like i said yesterday there are so man different oppions some say smoke the snares others say you dont have to my daughter has 2 pet rabbits would i be able to rub them in there shxt and decent them like that ?

you say your going to put tubes and pipes in your hobs cage when you get one how what diameter ive got a couple of tubes but one of them he looks like hes going to get stuck and the other he pulls back when im trying to put him in

im not going to give up i want the adrenaline of catching a rabbit im thinking of getting a gill now to make a pair for next season thanks for your advise pal really appreciate it

excellent picture pal my tubes are alot bigger one is about the size of a drain pipe and the other is just a bit bigger than a hoover pipe and my hob is bigger ill try post a picture soon i dont know how to do it on psvita yet

If you are going to continue to try snaring, you need to know what you are doing, if you don't I would not bother snaring.If put in the wrong place, cattle can get their tongues caught, and you can end up snaring small dogs or cats.

You need to find someone with the same interests, that can show you, as been said you want to ferret, snare, and longnet,

regarding longnets, If you purchase one, and don't know what you are doing, I guarantee you will end up in a massive tangle.

and you wont catch, and your net will end up in the bin.

• Like 3

If you are going to continue to try snaring, you need to know what you are doing, if you don't I would not bother snaring.If put in the wrong place, cattle can get their tongues caught, and you can end up snaring small dogs or cats.

You need to find someone with the same interests, that can show you, as been said you want to ferret, snare, and longnet,

regarding longnets, If you purchase one, and don't know what you are doing, I guarantee you will end up in a massive tangle.

and you wont catch, and your net will end up in the bin.

ive been reading alot about snaring and ferreting ill try post a picture of where i go with the snares and where i try to ferret and longnets i only thought of them as my dog chases the rabbits and they always get away on the edge the field into the branches thanks for yor comment

he pulls back when im trying to put him in

im not going to give up i want the adrenaline of catching a rabbit im thinking of getting a gill now to make a pair for next season thanks for your advise pal really appreciate it

dont try pushing ferrets into pipes, as that will make him push away and then not want to down rabbit holes as he will associate warrens with pipes, ferrets playing in pipes should be a fun time for them, how big is the cage, ???

you should set it up so he can access the pipes anytime, get used to them in his own time,

• Like 1

i made it myself it was for someone who asked me to make them a rabbit cage and when id done it they didnt want it its about 4 foot long 2 1/2 foot wide its flat ive put like a shelf in with a ramp but ive been thinkng of turning it on its side and sectioning it off with pipes and ramps connecting to each floor and making the front open up like a door ill try post a picture of it now and when ive changed it thanks for the advise

Sounds like either theres nothing home or your ferret hasn't caught on yet. Either way stick with it and youl get there.

I tried to learn snaring a couple of years ago and didn't have much luck. Out of 4 catches 2 I believe were pulled out of the snare by foxes, 1 was a pheasant and 1 was a good catch. I might have another crack at it not for big numbers just enough to keep the ferrets fed in the summer.

thanks for you comment pal i aren't going to give up i enjoy been out early and coming home at tea but then i also like been out as its just getting dark i have been waching the rabbits and when i follow i loose them in the brambles im going to pit some pictures on soon of where i go is snaring best for summer then ? just dont kill them all just one or two for the ferret and me