Holding A Dog Back Till 2 Or Older ??

some lines start early some lines start late ... some people let em go some hold em back at the end of the day its your choice ...why turn another terrier thread into a bitch fest ..

oh its wed night and the tellys shite stig.

some lines start early some lines start late ... some people let em go some hold em back at the end of the day its your choice ...why turn another terrier thread into a bitch fest ..

i try not to comment on terrier threads these days ---i know fook all ;)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No way would I keep a dog over 2 years that still hasn't shown any interest, I don't believe all that bollocks either that early starters don't last long, that's an excuse people use that have kennels

Holding it back will let the dog mature mentally I personally show a dog at around 16 to.18mnths then bring it on slowly not to much to soon that's just me. Atb d4g

think it depends on the dog , i'd be very disappointed in one not showing interest in going to ground from 6-9 months ..showing interest not entering although i have let some have a look at 9 months,

Posted Images

Being happy with or excepting late starters along with showing is what's ruined the majority of borders and why would you hold back a keen young terrier till it was 2 it could of learnt loads by that age without being overmatched.

just my view but as a digging dog the border just went out of fashion with a lot of lads the black uns and lakies looked more macho ;);) ..
. Still good flat faces about stig Just lads with them keep the selve to them selves over you way next week some time get the kettle on

Being happy with or excepting late starters along with showing is what's ruined the majority of borders and why would you hold back a keen young terrier till it was 2 it could of learnt loads by that age without being overmatched.

just my view but as a digging dog the border just went out of fashion with a lot of lads the black uns and lakies looked more macho ;);) ..
. Still good flat faces about stig Just lads with them keep the selve to them selves over you way next week some time get the kettle on

i know of a few myself ---- just let us know when your welcome anytime :thumbs:

i know of a few myself ---- just let us know when your welcome anytime :thumbs:

[/ok

Edited by gonetoearth

I Know Hee Haw !,just a W/Kender :tongue2: ,but if the Terriers are in Decline,It could be the "I'm A TERRIERMAN attitude and nothing else approach,bordering on the Obssesive,to the - it Works like this !,enters like this ! IF NOT it's Sh""""t.

To many Billy Big Balls about ...Spade Happy barely wait 10 min and the Gaft is swing its' way to the Sod !

My OL'MENTOR ..and He would never embarrass ,himself and call himself One ! would look at me with a puzzeled look if I attempted to lift a Spade before an Hour had passed,not that I'm any good with one ,bar carrying one :icon_redface:

P.S. Hardly a person Knows of him ,with 50 0dd years at Terriers under his belt ,No Line ..No breeding Program.. just Knew How to bring on someone elses' pups ...and As far as I'm aware no failures :yes:

As for Borders...Was out last W/kend with a Fella, who doesn't seem to have any Problems with his,which see alot more than most Blacks.

:laugh: if mine start at 2 and yours at 3 dont make mine any better than yours ... i`ve seen a young black dog go at 9 months and another at 28 months by the time they were 4 year old they were as good as each other ... theres no hard n fast rules in the terrier game...

If a dog hasn't entered by the time it was 2 I would be having serious doubts about that dog.

Proper line bred terriers should have the working seed planted firmly in there head and should be showing interest pretty quick.

I guess me and my mates have just been lucky with the line we have because they would self enter far too young for my liking, they only need to be pegged out on a couple of digs and they want to go.

P.S there not are line there a friends that has kept them pretty close bred for around 30 year, and he's done a great job of creating some cracking stock.

Hopefully with the stuff we have between us we should be set for life and never after worry about late starters lol

• Like 4

It's all down to peoples preference patiance and standards to ask every pup to enter buy 16mths to me is daft all dogs lines ect is diffrent do your homework one partcular line dog ect if dont suit you don't. buy simples just my ipinion atb d4g

I would only add that some breeds do naturally enter earlier than others, we've all had black dogs and lakies that have barely lost their milk teeth and are eager to go, where as the likes of russells can be a lot later, strains and lines also have some bearing on it, we also have to think of the manner in which a particular type works naturally, be it bayer or mixer, some mixing types have a very short working life due to losing teeth etc,the likes of a Russell type bayer will have a longer working life than say a patt,you must also think about how often they get worked, some terriers will sicken and jib by the shear amount of work if out to often where as a weekend dog will last a lot longer, I tend to let my terriers self enter when out and providing they are mature enough they will get worked, my own opinion is that too much work early on can make them too hard but the better terriers I've owned have entered early, atb, WM

Do plummers generally enter earlier or later ?

I can only answer for my own terriers, mine have all gone early but they are out bushing from 12 weeks so by the time they have reached 9 or 10 months they have seen plenty killed from cover and know exactly what they are, seen a few digs so its just natural progression for them to enter, I have had them go earlier and later, I have kept many types of working terrier in 42yrs of earthwork and these are no different in their manner of work once under the soil, WM