The Saluki Cross....

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

7/8 saluki grey  

some saluki crosses can very highly strung .hard to train. so can alot of other crosses .a good dog man can train any dog. some are harder then others.that is true.the biggest mistake is folk not tr

A thick dog couldn,t catch hares on a regular basis .why is the saluki cross the best hare dog ?because it hasnt only got a serious amount of wind it also has brains it can run within itself when ne

i would have a similar mindset on in snoop.... every dog is different and respond to different methods of training in different ways, there is a way around everything, just look at the chap on here using mink he tamed and trained to hunt (minkenry).... a saluki in a lurcher makeup will definatly bring alot to the table, as has been tried tested and perfected over the years. A slightly different minset may or may not be needed when training/working the particular lurcher but as a whole the majority are doing what they were designed to do and making there owners happy.

I it also depends on which temperament the dog it takes to especially with 3 or so breeds in there

A mate had a saluki cross and was what I'd call aloof rather than ignorant,and ran because IT wanted to rather than YOU wanted it to ,but boy it could run.Didn't care for praise from you either :D

some saluki crosses can very highly strung .hard to train. so can alot of other crosses .a good dog man can train any dog.some are harder then others.that is true.the biggest mistake is folk not treating saluki,s or saluki crosses like any other lurcher.true a lot of saluki crosses you cant be heavy handed they dont respond to that kind of training .but do you have to be heavy handed with any cross .no i personally dont think so.every dog i have trained from being a pup has been steady and fairly obedient.some have been harder to train then others i will admit .a good sal x can be as good as any other cross with the right man behind it.

do you think the original saluki would of had training snoop??? Cant see it myself and probably why alot of people think there thick!!! They were a breed bred to hunt and run in the desert so would never of needed to do more than that??

A thick dog couldn,t catch hares on a regular basis .why is the saluki cross the best hare dog ?because it hasnt only got

a serious amount of wind it also has brains it can run within itself when needed .it also can put itself between cover and the hare and push the hare back out into the open.(box a hare)...which other crosses do this without saluki in them.???they are far from thick.not saying they are all bright as button .but the breed as a whole are far from thick.people who tend to think they are .maybe they need to sit down and give there head a shake.not everybodies cup of tea i understand that .but neither is any of the crosses unless you have run every type of cross and had a few of each i would say stick to what you know and watch and learn..before making a silly statement .just my opinion of course. :D

• Like 4

some saluki crosses can very highly strung .hard to train. so can alot of other crosses .a good dog man can train any dog.some are harder then others.that is true.the biggest mistake is folk not treating saluki,s or saluki crosses like any other lurcher.true a lot of saluki crosses you cant be heavy handed they dont respond to that kind of training .but do you have to be heavy handed with any cross .no i personally dont think so.every dog i have trained from being a pup has been steady and fairly obedient.some have been harder to train then others i will admit .a good sal x can be as good as any other cross with the right man behind it.

do you think the original saluki would of had training snoop??? Cant see it myself and probably why alot of people think there thick!!! They were a breed bred to hunt and run in the desert so would never of needed to do more than that??

couldn't have said it any better than that pal well said

A thick dog couldn,t catch hares on a regular basis .why is the saluki cross the best hare dog ?because it hasnt only got

a serious amount of wind it also has brains it can run within itself when needed .it also can put itself between cover and the hare and push the hare back out into the open.(box a hare)...which other crosses do this without saluki in them.???they are far from thick.not saying they are all bright as button .but the breed as a whole are far from thick.people who tend to think they are .maybe they need to sit down and give there head a shake.not everybodies cup of tea i understand that .but neither is any of the crosses unless you have run every type of cross and had a few of each i would say stick to what you know and watch and learn..before making a silly statement .just my opinion of course. :D

Over the last 30 odd years or so, the best, most prolific hare killers I've seen have been Saluki crosses.
Some have been absolutely brainless, intractable, non-returning, non-retrieving, deaf, cat killing, moody,

highly strung, infuriating b*****ds.
But, they are the best breed if you want to kill a lot of hares regularly (IMO :laugh::thumbs: )

Cheers, D.

• Like 2

A thick dog couldn,t catch hares on a regular basis .why is the saluki cross the best hare dog ?because it hasnt only got a serious amount of wind it also has brains it can run within itself when needed .it also can put itself between cover and the hare and push the hare back out into the open.(box a hare)...which other crosses do this without saluki in them.???they are far from thick.not saying they are all bright as button .but the breed as a whole are far from thick.people who tend to think they are .maybe they need to sit down and give there head a shake.not everybodies cup of tea i understand that .but neither is any of the crosses unless you have run every type of cross and had a few of each i would say stick to what you know and watch and learn..before making a silly statement .just my opinion of course. :D
agree 100% :thumbs:

Salukis are thick. I've never heard a breed of dog get so many excuses for its traits like the saluki does. It isn't thick, it'll only do something if it feels its worth doing :laugh: it's nothing to be embarrassed about, greyhounds are notoriously dumb too we all use them. A mixture of both saluki and greyhound results in one dumb ass dog :laugh: as for saluki are that clever they box hares and no other breed does..... Err that's cos they are that f***ing slow. Other breeds go up the gears to exert pressure on the hare to turn it when it's getting close to an escape route. All of a sudden cos the saluki isn't that close to the hare or has that turn of speed, boxing is clever :laugh:

Salukis are thick. I've never heard a breed of dog get so many excuses for its traits like the saluki does. It isn't thick, it'll only do something if it feels its worth doing :laugh: it's nothing to be embarrassed about, greyhounds are notoriously dumb too we all use them. A mixture of both saluki and greyhound results in one dumb ass dog :laugh: as for saluki are that clever they box hares and no other breed does..... Err that's cos they are that f*****g slow. Other breeds go up the gears to exert pressure on the hare to turn it when it's getting close to an escape route. All of a sudden cos the saluki isn't that close to the hare or has that turn of speed, boxing is clever :laugh:

pot kettle and all that baw........ :yes:

just out of interest baw what breed of dog/s do you own ?

:hmm: baw must of missed this :whistling:
:laugh: a 3/4 collie grey and a bed/deer/ grey :)

just out of interest baw what breed of dog/s do you own ?

:hmm: baw must of missed this :whistling:
:laugh: a 3/4 collie grey and a bed/deer/ grey :)

Baw, i think your quiet funny most of the time and entertaining :thumbs: . You have been offered a full saluki pup, a high bred saluki cross, for free, yet you turn them down. Do you think its your own abilities as a dog trainer, that can not cope with the saluki and its crosses?, Have you tryed to work one? I know you keep saying you seen them work ect, but, have you, tryed one? What you have seen, might not have been good, or the dog man good. A lot have them and seem to be happy with them, its not as if their not popular, as they are.

I also think, what ever i say, wont matter to you..lol, your just on for a bit of leg pulling to pass the time at work and have it in for saluki owners, because you know it will get them biting..each to their own baw, i am not saying their all angles, as their can be some right ego freaks in the saluki hybrid crowd, but let them off, their is a lot more decent lads that own them as well and are happy with them. :victory:

Lol mate, they ain't for me mate. I'm humbled by the generosity of the dogmen on here that consider me worthy of owning one of their dogs, believe me I am. Your only seeing the offers I get on here and not the ones by pm. All from guys I regard very highly, you know who you are. It's flattering to say the least. Truth is and as some might know, I ain't in the position to give a pup the work it needs right now. I can't even keep my own dogs where I live. It's a long story and I won't bore you with the details but I am truly flattered and humbled by the good lurchermen on here.

you need patience and Would not recommend one as a first running dog unless you have a good mentor , as for the salukis themselves get a decent one and you have a dog capable of hunting most things as well as throwing a deaf one now and again all in all good breed. once settled in make first class house guard also.

• Like 3