Thinking Of Going Out Tomorrow

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Normally kill 100+ but only shot 36 last year from the 2 estates,what does that tell you ya muppet,ya have the place practicaly wiped out and now you want to kill the couple thats left,you are not a t

I was thinking off asking the women down the road for the ride i wonder what are my chances .with over 100 foxes gone out off that area id stay at home pin out the terriers and go on line for a chat w

I bet there's loads of lads on here that haven't had a fox all season but as soon as cubs are about they'll be posting pics on here under the title "had a call out", claiming they had to kill them or

I bet there's loads of lads on here that haven't had a fox all season but as soon as cubs are about they'll be posting pics on here under the title "had a call out", claiming they had to kill them or they'd loose there permission etc etc.

• Like 5

I bet there's loads of lads on here that haven't had a fox all season but as soon as cubs are about they'll be posting pics on here under the title "had a call out", claiming they had to kill them or they'd loose there permission etc etc.

I would let the permission go before killing cubs. Its ridiculas imo.
  • Like 1

I have worked a bit of land around my way for nearly 20 year that always held plenty of foxes had some great dog work there over the years until this horrible little c**t started put a few birds down and wiped the place out through gun and snare he's telling people he's had 160 odd in the last 2 seasons PRICK

• Like 1

Lol I wouldn't be ashamed to tell people mate all my rabbit skins used to go there to feed them up and more importantly to keep them there I dig a vixen there around about this time last year full with cubs when I let it go I was hoping it wouldn't go back on his land but I got told a while later he had sat outside 2 earths and shoot 2 litters I was f***ing sick

There is two different things on this post.

Many of the lads on here work terriers for sport . Getting out and working their dogs at weekend and holidays and fair play to them. There are also guys who have been criticised for being shooters and spoiling sport by lamping with the rifle and digging cubs for game birds or retaining permission or just fair weather hunters who dig cubs which may make the sporting lads sick but their aims are totally different.

Here in North West highlands keepers / hill shepherds will from now on check all dens they know with the terriers but as spring approaches also take with them shotgun and lamp and rifle and sleeping bag. If they find an occupied den they will aim to get the cubs and hopefully the vixen . If the vixen or dog bolts and is missed or is away from the den then they stay out all night as they will likely return to the den during the night when they can be lamped or accounted for in the half light of dawn. This is traditional pest control with some dens having been visited every year since Victorian times. You might not like it but that's how it is done to protect grouse , lambs , pheasants.

As long as you look after the terriers and respect the fox different people will always have different aims.

• Like 1

Many of the lads on here work terriers for sport . Getting out and working their dogs at weekend and holidays and fair play to them. There are also guys who have been criticised for being shooters and spoiling sport by lamping with the rifle and digging cubs for game birds or retaining permission or just fair weather hunters who dig cubs which may make the sporting lads sick but their aims are totally different.

Here in North West highlands keepers / hill shepherds will from now on check all dens they know with the terriers but as spring approaches also take with them shotgun and lamp and rifle and sleeping bag. If they find an occupied den they will aim to get the cubs and hopefully the vixen . If the vixen or dog bolts and is missed or is away from the den then they stay out all night as they will likely return to the den during the night when they can be lamped or accounted for in the half light of dawn. This is traditional pest control with some dens having been visited every year since Victorian times. You might not like it but that's how it is done to protect grouse , lambs , pheasants.

As long as you look after the terriers and respect the fox different people will always have different aims.

I no what you're saying mate that's the way people do things but my problem is this bloke has came on the land that I have hunted for year puts a couple of hundred birds down an totally wiped the land out I no he's looking after his bird's and to him that's the right thing to do but to me it's f****d a cracking bit of land up what you look forward to do every season but it's one of those thing's forget and move on

i think its wrong for joe bloggs buys a gun with a night vision screen were you can shoot from the hip, with the intention of killing as many fox that pass them. I dont get the buzz in pulling a trigger.

And what you have described does exactly that (respect the fox) whilst it may be hard on any fox population in that area during lambing/breeding season in reality after springtime not much, very little or any control is done in those areas during the rest of the year after the breeding/lambing season so other foxes move into the ground hence why the same dens are visited year after year it doesn't wipe out the population but controls it during a critical period.

For me it's about a balance of control which if done right can keep numbers under control whilst also allowing the area to re populate during less critical times and thats why most hunt country or land worked by sporting/weekend terrier men (for want of a better phrase) or indeed sporting rifle men have foxes on year after year whilst also controlling numbers.

All that said if your employed on a commercial shoot it's your job to control predation and understably less tolerance is given all year round and much harder approach is taken which I can fully appreciate.

The bit that doesn't sit right for me are those that have already been mentioned that would be classed as sporting/weekend terrier men but yet haven't had a fox to ground all year but surprise surprise come springtime when cubs are about or vixens to ground have had a "call out" and just have to kill the cubs or they'll lose permission....which they haven't been on all year anyway! There will always be the need to control specific problem foxes during cubbing but they are few and far between if you've been on the land the rest of the year, and let's be honest if your out digging the rest of the year most farmers/land owners will have seen enough of you during the season to not be threatening to remove permission if your not on there digging in spring.

JMHO but as they say each to their own.

• Like 2