can mother son be used instead of father daughter to get a base? would it matter?

At the risk of getting a pasting from froggy whatsit ,the dogs linage is everything ,A bitch becomes one of your broods providing she is tested and of sound temperament.A dog that consistently throws workers is the foundation to all good lines .Starting out ,the advice of the breeder should be followed to the letter but as you move on,youll get to know what works over what .STARTING FROM SCRATCH WITH AN UNKNOWN IS POT LUCK AND IMO A WASTE OF RESOURCE AND TIME[YEARS ]

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

how i look at it, if we are lucky enough to get our hands on some good blood , its our duty not to f**k it up and thats the working side, i've had the same family of dogs since the early 80's i've lin

Good post mate .Not to undo it in any way but starting with the right stock is everything .You cannot put in what is not there in the first place .Ive no doubt some lads have turned round mediocre dog

Right this is my fathers method he had a lot of success for many many years with gamefowl and dogs .This mightn't be to everybody's to everybody's style so don't crucify me if you think its wrong ! He

Inbreeding done too much will often leave you with very small bitches dogs seem to come right but a few lines different friends have the bitches come way too small ..Better if it was the other way round ..Its the bitches in decent lines that need to have substance..Few of the old timers if you went to there kennels you would see plenty of dogs but few bitches up to size

• Like 3

Well why not let people no how you've done it and the results you've had and then people may not be so quick to judge, Maybe some pics aswell?? I'm not having a go :thumbs:

Because i do not want respect off people like foxdropper and i am interested in how people have done it and how much success have they had? Foxdropper did not come with anything constructive just insults which is a shame there are loads of people on this site i would imagine have far more knowledge on breeding than me (Queue a sarcastic remark) but foxdropper is not unless he discusses it now and explains what experiences he has had? hopefully this can be a good thread still and we can get back on too discussion

I

Well why not let people no how you've done it and the results you've had and then people may not be so quick to judge, Maybe some pics aswell?? I'm not having a go :thumbs:

Because i do not want respect off people like foxdropper and i am interested in how people have done it and how much success have they had? Foxdropper did not come with anything constructive just insults which is a shame there are loads of people on this site i would imagine have far more knowledge on breeding than me (Queue a sarcastic remark) but foxdropper is not unless he discusses it now and explains what experiences he has had? hopefully this can be a good thread still and we can get back on too discussion

Its not about respect mate, i thought this thread was about peoples views and experiance etc, so is it such a bad thing that i ask for your experiances??

can mother son be used instead of father daughter to get a base? would it matter?

At the risk of getting a pasting from froggy whatsit ,the dogs linage is everything ,A bitch becomes one of your broods providing she is tested and of sound temperament.A dog that consistently throws workers is the foundation to all good lines .Starting out ,the advice of the breeder should be followed to the letter but as you move on,youll get to know what works over what .STARTING FROM SCRATCH WITH AN UNKNOWN IS POT LUCK AND IMO A WASTE OF RESOURCE AND TIME[YEARS ]

Im not arguing im discussing this with before you jump too it, It does not matter which way round you do it as both parents pass on the equal amount of genes to the pups. But if you are talking down the line when the dog is already inbred then yes because an inbred specimen has purer genes so therefore will throw his stamp on a litter.

Lets get this straight .You say Gouldy bred the base stock to most most black dogs that work .Must of missed that bit of history mate ,Too busy breeding my own .You have obviously been infuenced by someone to the point of brainwash .All he did was take a line and continue it which is what many lads have done .

Inbreeding done too much will often leave you with very small bitches dogs seem to come right but a few lines different friends have the bitches come way too small ..Better if it was the other way round ..Its the bitches in decent lines that need to have substance..Few of the old timers if you went to there kennels you would see plenty of dogs but few bitches up to size

yeah i agree it is hard to keep an eye on size and confirmation aswell as mental attributes so you can wire in things like that. do you keep a strain of terrier donnyc?

Lets get this straight .You say Gouldy bred the base stock to most most black dogs that work .Must of missed that bit of history mate ,Too busy breeding my own .You have obviously been infuenced by someone to the point of brainwash .All he did was take a line and continue it which is what many lads have done .

No i didnt say that or if it come out like that it wasnt meant to, alot of people with black terriers say that they came from ken gould and im stating a fact that he inbred and inbred generation after generation of dogs. Too busy breeding your own what terriers do you breed? how long have you been breeding them ? im not having a pop its suppose to be a discussion

I

Its not about respect mate, i thought this thread was about peoples views and experiance etc, so is it such a bad thing that i ask for your experiances??

you have pm

I

you have pm

haven't recieved think inbox was full, sorry

Im not arguing im discussing this with before you jump too it, It does not matter which way round you do it as both parents pass on the equal amount of genes to the pups. But if you are talking down the line when the dog is already inbred then yes because an inbred specimen has purer genes so therefore will throw his stamp on a litter.

If a lad is starting out which i believe is the knowledge required then the dog used should be line bred and be throwing consistent workers .To start with a scatter bred is to court failure from day one .Just as well use a farm collie .The bitch to a foundation stock should from the same line or close .The bitch pups from this first mating will be your broods and put back to the base dog .What you do then is personal preference but always look to the base dog for continuation.look to the future as nothing lives forever and studs need replacing .Lots more to it but im not writing a book just yet .

If a lad is starting out which i believe is the knowledge required then the dog used should be line bred and be throwing consistent workers .To start with a scatter bred is to court failure from day one .Just as well use a farm collie .The bitch to a foundation stock should from the same line or close .The bitch pups from this first mating will be your broods and put back to the base dog .What you do then is personal preference but always look to the base dog for continuation.look to the future as nothing lives forever and studs need replacing .Lots more to it but im not writing a book just yet .

or that is what everyone else calls inbreeding but as you said personal preference as too what you do next but most experinced breeders n know continue to but bitch back to father then bitch out of that litter to father again for 4 or 5 generations before you keep a stud dog back.

look mate,You can inbreed for years ,decades to produce what we call a line .The overall planned breeding thats gets you to where you are now is known by the whole dog world as LINEBREEDING .Get that word in your head and we can discuss ,almost like adults but keep calling it inbreeding and the insults will flow .