Hungary 2014

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After the 2nd drive we all adjourned back to the hunting lodge for a delicious dinner of spicy Hungarian sausage, with a kind of thick vegetable soup and home made bread. Pudding was a tasty apricot

Earlier this month Dogs-n-Natives and I had the pleasure of hunting in Hungary for 4 days. I have been twice previously, but this time we were driving over so we could hunt our own dogs.   After a

After lunch, we were into the last drive of our trip. We were are the extreme left of the line, strung out over some pretty challenging terrain. The steep slopes with cliffs and ridges were definitel

Posted Images

He stayed at home mate, he would have had a hell of a time with us, but he has 8 seasons under him now and to be honest, due to injury mainly, he is taking a back seat on most days out now. He still does a fair bit of driving cover for us. He also has a bitch or two that need his attention in the future, so he has a place by the fire for now lol

DnN

• Like 1

He stayed at home mate, he would have had a hell of a time with us, but he has 8 seasons under him now and to be honest, due to injury mainly, he is taking a back seat on most days out now. He still does a fair bit of driving cover for us. He also has a bitch or two that need his attention in the future, so he has a place by the fire for now lol

DnN

:laugh:

Keep those bitches happy!! Like every other males goal in life!

After lunch, we were into the last drive of our trip. We were are the extreme left of the line, strung out over some pretty challenging terrain. The steep slopes with cliffs and ridges were definitely testing my fitness. The line went away to our right down into a valley and across the valley floor.

There were plenty of bay ups down in the valley, and I began to despair of getting in sight of a pig to point Klyde my Beddy-Whippet wonder dog at. At one point DnN saw a pig at our end of the line. I was otherwise engaged and didn't notice it, and for some unfathomable reason he didn't shout out to me. He was probably too hungover...

In the last hour of the final drive, we were on a ridge, looking down into a small valley when I heard the bay of the fox terriers to my right. The trees were quite open and the visibility was good. It sounded like a running bay, and it sounded like it was getting closer. I was getting pretty hopeful now. Then I saw a pig moving at speed right to left across my front, being harassed by the brace of fox terrier. It wasn't huge, about 6-7months and 40-50kgs, but it was the only target I was likely to see during this, the final drive of the final day.

I slipped Klyde. He shot off at high speed, like a pig seeking missile, with the terriers in close behind him. I was concerned what his reaction would be when he reached it, as his stock breaking was very thorough. I needn't have worried though, he trademark 'war cry' told me that he had made contact. I rushed down the slope as fast as my alcohol poisoned legs would carry me.

I got to the bottom of the slope and saw the melee. The pig (which fortunately didn't have any cutters) was turning in circles trying to batter Klyde, who was latched onto its rear left leg. Brutal was latched on to its rear right, with Witch next to him and the two fox terriers adding to the confusion, running around barking. I have not done this before, but I've seen plenty of Ned Makim's videos to know that the idea is to get behind the pig, use a hind leg to flip it, then stick it.

The adrenaline hit my system, so with shaking hands I pulled out my Opinel No. 6 and fumbled about opening the blade. In the meantime, the pig had decided that I was a greater threat than the dogs, and turned so that it was facing me. When I have followed up these wounded pigs before, they have always attempted to find either some tree roots or other kind of hollow to reverse into, with only their head protruding out. I was circling trying to get behind the pig, it was circling trying to keep me in front of it, my dogs were getting stuck in, and those f***ing annoying fox terriers were circling, yapping.

I was shouting for DnN to slip his Luna, hoping that her extra firepower would be enough to shut the pig down, so I could get in and finish it, but he couldn't here me above the din. Kylde let go of the leg and lugged up. I was pleased to see it, but the pig wasn't. It gave him a real battering, if it had had cutters I would have needed a dust pan and brush to pick my dog up, as he wasn't wearing a vest. Fortunately it didn't, but as I moved in to stick the pig, Klyde let go. The pig threw off the terriers at its legs and charged me. I don't mind admitting that I screamed like a girl, and almost fell over running backwards out the way. I must have got out of the pigs eye line as it shot past me into a gully, looking for somewhere to hunker down.

Klyde got another grip on that hind leg, with Brutal next to him on the other. This slowed the pig down enough for Witch to get a snout hold. Wow, that was unexpected. The pig gave her a bit of a battering, but she didn't let up for an instant. I was proud of the Witchling, and she went some way to redeeming herself from her poor performance digging. She kept a good grip and really shut that pig down. It was going nowhere, with her on its face and the other 2 on the back end.

Apparently DnN had heard my girlish shrieks (as well as seeing the Benny Hill style chase) and slipped Luna. He ran down the slope and got hands on the pig, quickly pinning it to the ground. Just as I was positioning myself to do the deed, a Hungarian beater appeared and administered the coup de grace with an enormous Bowie knife. I felt fairly inadequate standing there with my seemingly insignificant 3 inch folder useless in my hand.

post-9962-0-17082300-1390731692_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

A better view of the pig.

post-9962-0-31803700-1390731737_thumb.jpg

It wasn't the biggest pig in the world, or even the drive, but it was the one my dogs stopped on their own, so I was well happy.

post-9962-0-36087800-1390731998.jpg

Obviously, there had to be a group shot at the end of the day.

post-9962-0-35095900-1390732144_thumb.jpg

I'm under no illusions that they are Aussie style proven boar dogs. Of course they aren't but they had a good go, and I had a lot of fun. I'm already planning my next trip.

I was less pleased when we got to Calais and it transpired that Witch's microchip had stopped working. This meant that I had to have her re-chipped and rabies vaccinated. Then she had to wait 21 days before travelling. As the missus was unhappy with me going for a week in the first place, (as we had a 4 week old baby) staying another 3 wasn't really an option. So I was left with no option but to put her in kennels for 3 weeks. But it turned out that there weren't boarding kennels in Calais, but a Hotel Des Toutous.

spot on................ :victory: i loved hungary and defo hope to go back next season for some hunting!!!

did you go to paprika again??? :thumbs:

Praprika is an institution mate, can't got to Budapest and not visit Praprika! Had dinner there Tuesday night after the first day of digging.

• Like 1

spot on................ :victory: i loved hungary and defo hope to go back next season for some hunting!!! did you go to paprika again??? :thumbs:

Praprika is an institution mate, can't got to Budapest and not visit Praprika! Had dinner there Tuesday night after the first day of digging.
haha spot on mate, excellent food and cheaper than my local chip shop!!! glad you enjoyed your trip :thumbs: